Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been lurking around the forums for awhile now gathering information as to what bike to purchase. Running and jogging got boring after awhile. I want to get the most "bang for the buck" bike out there and from what I've read, it's all IBEX. I haven't owned a bike since I was delivering newspapers on my Toys R' Us bike 15 years ago and that bike got me through a hurricane!! I'm still young at 24 so I'm up for most riding types. I reside in Eastern Massachusetts and I've been informed that there are some great trails around here within reasonable traveling distance. I'd like to do some AM, XC, and DH, but would like my 1st bike to last awhile before I do any upgrading or purcahse a new bike. My budget is $800-$1500. Keep in mind that I'd have to purchase a car rack (preferbly a roof rack), gear, and misc. accessories.My question is Hardtail or FS? I've been looking at the Asta Comp X7, Asta Expert X9, Trophy Comp X7, and Trophy Pro. I was wondering if the extra $400 is worth it in upgrades for the Asta. X7 --> X9, Tora --> Reba, Mech Disks --> Hydraulic Disks. Many thanks in advance.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Hello there...............Lets spend that "TAX" money.......LOL

Dyleerium said:
Hi all,
I'd like to do some AM, XC, and DH, but would like my 1st bike to last awhile before I do any upgrading or purcahse a new bike. My budget is $800-$1500. Keep in mind that I'd have to purchase a car rack (preferbly a roof rack), gear, and misc. accessories.My question is Hardtail or FS? I've been looking at the Asta Comp X7, Asta Expert X9, Trophy Comp X7, and Trophy Pro. I was wondering if the extra $400 is worth it in upgrades for the Asta. X7 --> X9, Tora --> Reba, Mech Disks --> Hydraulic Disks. Many thanks in advance.
You mentioned DH in your riding plans.. Asta and Trophy series as the bikes your considering..

Lets take the Trophy Series 1st..This bike is more geared for for fast XC with the ability to do some light to medium AM..The 80mm fork is not what you'd want to be doing drops (3+footers) on a regular basis..

The Asta on the outer hand is capable of taking bigger hits and drops due to its 4"(100mm) fork and shock travel..The bike is XC/AM built and can handle some DH on the side..

If you see yourself going more AM with need to hit more DH, then IMO you should really be looking at the Atlas with its 5" travel..This bike is designed with AM go for it all day long riding..You'll be able to throw in med/heavy DH when the mood arises and still be able to do the XC thing to get to these AM and DH areas..

I hope this makes sense to you cause with this one finger typing its hard to keep up with my thoughts..:madman:

>>>>>>>>>>:ihih:>>Jake

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I reccommend the Atlas

Given that you are looking to do a combination of XC to more aggressive riding, the Atlas is the way to go. Please keep in mind that NO BIKE is really going to be good at all three riding styles you describe. If the bulk of your riding is going to be XC riding with some more aggressive technical sections and light downhill sections, the Atlas is the choice. If you are going to do serious DH riding ( i.e shuttle lifts to the top of a mountain and barrelling down as fast as you can go over laarger obstcales and drops, etc., etc.) , you need to consider a bike with longer travel and a DH specific frame.The Asta and Trophy would be very good choices if your riding will be mostly XC trails with some aggressive riding thrown in from time to time.

It's really a matter of assessing what the riding will be. keep in mind that our collective definitions of "aggressive riding", All Mountain" and "Downhill" could be significantly different, and therefore effecting the bike recommendations we make. Some clarification on your behalf would be helpful in guiding you towards the right bike.

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

I realize that one bike is not going to do the job of all riding styles. That's why people have more than one rig. If I were to put riding styles in priority it would most likely be: 1st XC, 2nd AM, and 3rd DH. I'm still a newbie so barreling down the mountain side at break neck speed may not be a good idea, I guess the DH riding would come later on in the future (with better skills:thumbsup: ). Let's focus more on XC and mild AM. I'm not too fond of the Atlas's frame appearance.. lol, talk about superficial. I'm leaning towards the Asta over the Trophy because I do want full suspension. I'm just not sure which model to get. Is the extra $400 for the Expert X9 worth it or will the X7 hold me over until I get my skills better? Will the average Joe Biker be able to see a significant difference between the two Asta's? BTW, I have no problems with buying a bike w/o a test ride.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Hi Dyleerium,
Now that the over-all picture is clearer, I'd say the Asta X7 or X9 would serve your needs..

Me said:
The Asta on the outer hand is capable of taking bigger hits and drops due to its 4"(100mm) fork and shock travel..The bike is XC/AM built and can handle some DH on the side..
Looks like it will fit the bill :thumbsup:
Which Asta all depends on the $$$ needed for the rack, helmet, shoes, shock pump and yada-yada-yada

>>>>>>>>:ihih:>>Jake

PS. The (click>) Asta Expert X9, IMO is the better spec'd bang-4-da-buck :cornut::D

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Thanks for redefining

Now we can get down to brass tacks. It's really a matter of what you think you can afford, and buying the biike which has the best components for your money. In the instance of the X.7 and X.9 Astas, I personally think the upgraded fork, shock, brakes and drivetrain components are well worth the additional $400 if you can afford it. Will you notice the difference? That's hard to say. The X.7 is a very nicely spec'd bike. You will find more adjustibility in the suspension components on the X.9, smoother shifting, and potentially better modulation and more powerful braking as the result of the hydros.

Both are excellent choices, but it really is hard to say whether or not you personally would see the difference in performance as a novice rider. Same thing with whether or not you will personally equate that difference in feel as worth the $400. remember, like you said, rack..helmet..shoes, etc., etc. That $400 can buy pretty much everything else you need to get in the saddle.

Bob

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
The Astas are very capable bikes... but if you ever think of doing some DH stuff, i'd say go for the Atlas... 1 inch makes a lot of difference and the weight penalty between the Asta and the Atlas is minimal... i think it's within 1lbs... Only major difference that you'll notice is how the Asta will perform better in pedaling and the Atlas in soaking up things...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't mean to rain on the Ibex parade, but, there are some sweet deals out there on Giant Reign 3s. I just bought one with my tax refund:thumbsup: 6inch travel bike that climbs well. Truly a do it all. If you're sold on Ibex, go Atlas for sure. Whatever you choose...congrats & enjoy the ride!!!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Reign's a great bike

Great reputation, and the Maestro suspension has excellent reviews. Only weak point on the '06 R 3 would be the Hayes Sole brakes. Can I ask what price you got yours?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.