Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, for any tassie riders out there, this is the CBCC's "rest of 2004" racing calender. :)

28/8/04 - 4hr Endurance - Ridgley
5/9/04 - Reconnaissance - Parramatta Creek
18/9/04 - XC Race - Railton
09/10/04 - 6hr Endurance - Wynyard
07/11/04 - 6hr Endurance - Parramatta Creek
27/11/04 - 6hr Endurance - TBA
11/12/04 - XC race and end of year barbie - Railton

If your not already on the tassie MTB e-mail list, shoot an e-mail to danny at
Scallop.boy[at]microtech.com.au

Any questions ask me here, or shoot an e-mail to danny.

Cheers, Dave

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's the course where you cleaned up in Elite. :p Awesome track for longer rides.

I'd like to push for one of the six hours to be a night race, say from 4pm till 10, that way you get a couple of laps in in the daylight, and then 3-4 hours of night racing. I reckon it would be sweet. Danny keeps on probing for my ideas, so I think he's about to get it. ;) :D

I think the calender is still adjustable for a couple more races if needed. The trip out to Parramatta Creek will be an interesting one too. My Dad used to go out there on his motorbike years ago (like 20+). Aparently there's a fire tower that allows you to look over the entire plantation, so it might make things a bit easier for working out a track to race on. There are a few decent climbs too. Actually I thnk I might go exploring saturday...... :D

Cheers, Dave.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Low_Rider said:
Yeah, it's the course where you cleaned up in Elite. :p Awesome track for longer rides.

I'd like to push for one of the six hours to be a night race, say from 4pm till 10, that way you get a couple of laps in in the daylight, and then 3-4 hours of night racing. I reckon it would be sweet. Danny keeps on probing for my ideas, so I think he's about to get it. ;) :D

I think the calender is still adjustable for a couple more races if needed. The trip out to Parramatta Creek will be an interesting one too. My Dad used to go out there on his motorbike years ago (like 20+). Aparently there's a fire tower that allows you to look over the entire plantation, so it might make things a bit easier for working out a track to race on. There are a few decent climbs too. Actually I thnk I might go exploring saturday...... :D

Cheers, Dave.
Sounds great, 4 hours of that trail will be great fun.

I agree, I would love to do one of the 6 hour races as a twilight race, with summer, there would probably only be 1.5-2hrs of darkness per se, and darkness for those finishing laps after the 6th hour. A 12 hour during summer (replacing 1 of the 6 hour races) would be a right treat. Remember with summer, people are out riding more, and more about for races too. I am sure some more southerners would come too...

Parramatta Creek sounds really good, I would like to try and make it. A nice long course would be good. Having raced in NSW I have got a good idea of how you can make a lot out of a little. By using what naturally lies (Fallen trees, roots, stumps, half track between trees) trails can become really exciting fun - especially for longer races.

Look forward to riding up north again.

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plenty of room out at Paramatta Creek, and many, many different trails too by the sounds of things. Could be anything from tight technical singletrack to open gravel roads......

I'll let you know how I go with the twilight racing.

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For anyone interested in southern Tassie, Hobart Wheelers/Dirt Devils have an mtb event scheduled for Sunday 21/11/04 - venue & format are tba, but it may be a 6 hour race with a bbq afterwards. Contact Andrew Ling on 0419 315 536, or [email protected] for more info.

BTW if by Parramatta Creek you are referring to the pine plantation on the southern side of the Bass Hwy (also known as Long Hill), I used to rally (in cars) through that area in the 1970's/80's.

Regards.

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Geoff, thanks for posting!

I didn't realise the Dirt Devils were still allive!! One of my first races I did was a race up at Trevalyn in Launceston that they hosted a few years back. Great stuff.

The MTB scene is starting to go crazy - it seems it's being done right this time. The Launceston club and CBCC are putting on some great events, and the tassie orienteering club have got a couple of events happening too. (The next is at the GOG plantation near paradise really soon).

Back to Parramatta Creek, we've actually got permission to use land on the otherside (northern I guess) of the highway on private property. It's supposed to be a really fast track. Will be great to race on. Plenty of trails on the otherside though too. Good fun. We are really going to try and push this race out into the media and general public, try and really make a go of it and get the name out there. We've been getting good numbers (between 20-50 riders each race), but there are still many out there that haven't heard of whats going on up here.

I think we're going to cut back on the number of events a tiny bit next year, just so that we aren't draining everyone. There will still be plenty on, and it gives the northerners a chance to race in Launceston and down south.

Trevor - I think a twilight race may now be in the works, possibly a "feeler" race to see who's interested, and possibly more after that. We've recently been scouting around finding places where we could hold races, and have found some great spots. We're thinking a 6 hr is the go, with the first lap or two in the day light. Not confirmed yet, but I'll keep you all posted.

---------------------------------------------------------

If your not already on the tassie MTB e-mail list, (or don't know about it) shoot an e-mail to danny at
Scallop[dot]boy[at]microtech.com.au It's a massive list, and there is news posted regularly about stuff going on all around the state.

And the CBCC have a neat webpage here: http://www.cbcc.community.net.au/

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Low_Rider said:
and the tassie orienteering club have got a couple of events happening too.
Thanks Dave.

I'm actually going up for an MTB-O event at Four Springs SRA (near Birralee) this Sunday (26th Sept). It's being organised by the Esk Valley club I think - there is some info on the Tassi Orienteering web page - http://www.tased.edu.au/tasonline/otinc/new/sep.htm

The Hobt Wheelers/Dirt Devils have run a couple of races down here that I have been in - used a course on private property at Collinsvale. Very rocky & some tight technical stuff but great fun.

Regards.

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I was thinking about the Four Springs event, but I've got a bit too much going on at Uni at the moment.

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For anyone that's interested the Esk Valley Orienteering Club are holding MTB-O events on Sunday October 17 (Gog Plantation), Sunday October 24 (China Bush, Railton) and Sunday November 14 (Tasmanian Championships, Virginstowe).

After last Sunday's event at Four Springs I'll definitely be trying to get to at least two of these - great fun!!

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I went to the Gog one last year. Great fun. Thanks for the update.

O.K all - We've got a day-nighter running for the 9/10 at Turners beach. Can be treated as a 4 hr day ride, or a 6hr day-nighter. Open to Solo and teams of 2-4. If you're not on the tassie e-mail ist, shoot danny or I an e-mail and we'll get you loaded up with info.

Cheers, Dave.

·
Sneaker man
3,340 Posts
yeah that collinsvale course is nasty fun, for the unfit like me... ah how i remember the courses at travalin and railton, underwood,lilydale and 4 springs. good to see that racing is alive and well, i thought it had died completely till i did some of the dirt devils races in hobart. good value pain...er fun:)

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the racing scene is looking good now, with got the CBCC up here on the NW coast, the Launy club is alive and kicking, and the dirt devils are putting on a few as well.

Check out the parrammatta creek post on this boardd. Well worth a ride.

Good to have another tassie person on the boards!!

Cheers, dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts