Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
DT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished doing some upgrades to my Tassajara so thought I'd post up a picture. Nothing too crazy - I'm trying to save some dough for a lightweight Yeti hardtail project.

I really love the Tass. I've been riding it since September and am still amazed at how well it excels in most areas - Especially considering the price for these things.

Upgrades:
DT Swiss X1800 wheelset
Kenda Small Block 8's (2.1")
XT Cassette
SLX Cranks
KMC SL9 Chain
Race Face Evolve XC Stem
Race Face Evolve XC Low Rise Bar
Bontrager Race XXX Grips
Easton EC70 Seatpost
Bell (for notifying hikers of my approach when I'm sucking wind too hard to call out:p )
Stubby Bar Ends (Yes, I'm still running bar ends)

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Plauscha said:
Weight???
I'll venture a guess - around 27 lbs? Maybe 26.5?

Fisher makes a great bike. I was riding a G1 tass for a while - went through upgraditis too. Now, I'm in the process of taking a hit on the fork and frame, to replace it with a 29er hardtail.

A lot of weight savings to be had on that fork. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just ordered a '10 HKEK, and it taking all my will power not to get a case of the upgraditis. Almost got a 29er, but although it "fit" it did not feel right. My HKEK should be here this coming week. The '09 Tass was also tempting, fell in love with the color.

·
DT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plauscha said:
Weight???
Just weighed it this afternoon. Including bar ends, computer, bell, and some mud (The rain caught me up in the Santa Monica mountains today) it came in at 26lbs 10oz.

You won't be dissapointed with the HKEK. That's a solid ride :thumbsup: I was considering one before the Tass, but my LBS couldn't give me a firm date on delivery. Plus the '09 Tass prices were too good to pass up. But all things being equal, would love to have gotten the HKEK.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
How long are those bar ends?
I have the extra long ones on my Big Sur and liked them a lot.
I haven't put any on the new Dawg and probably won't. Just don't feel the need.

That said the long ones don't tend to get caught as often as the shorties and do protect your hands a little when it gets thicker.

·
DT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
archer said:
How long are those bar ends?
I have the extra long ones on my Big Sur and liked them a lot.
I haven't put any on the new Dawg and probably won't. Just don't feel the need.

That said the long ones don't tend to get caught as often as the shorties and do protect your hands a little when it gets thicker.
They're a set of 95mm cheapies from Jenson. I know what you mean about the hand protection with the longer ones. I used to run longer ends back in the day, but like you said, just dont really have the need now. I keep the stubbies solely for the extra hand positions on long climbs.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Some of the trails I've been on the last year I'm afraid stubbies would get caught in brush or on trees. I never had that happen with the long ones but this year on the new bike I bounced both shoulders off manzinita trees and had some thorns penetrate the full finger gloves.

Nice ride though.

·
DT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crash-N-Burn said:
Very nice looking bike. I am very close to buying an 09 Tassajara or 2010 Piranha. Was not a fan of the pics I have seen of the blue on line but yours looks very good.
Both are solid choices and you won't be dissapointed with either. Looks like the specs are nearly the same with the exception of the SRAM bits on the Pirahna - Just a matter of preference I guess. The matte rootbeer color is sweet too.

I wasn't too crazy about the Tassajara blue at first either. But surprisingly, I actually get a ton of comments out on the trail and the LBS about it - Which I still find surprising as I'm still only luke warm about the color.

·
DT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Bearfan. I'd have to check for an exact figure, but it was around $800 in upgrades to get the bike the way it is now. This also inluded turning the stock Bontrager Ranger wheels into road wheels and pairing them up with cassette, rotors, tubes, and tires. It's crazy how fast the cost of upgrades start to add up! :eekster:

I just sold this bike last month and it really pained me to see her go. I'm riding a Yeti ARC now so can't complain. But I do miss the way the Tass felt and how it handled most anything I threw at it. The ARC is an amazing machine, but I miss the G2 and feel of the Tass at times - Fisher really knows how to make a great ride for sure. I think the fellow who bought it will put it to good use, so there's some consolation in that :)

·
DT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The headset was left the same... Cane Creek semi-integrated if I'm not mistaken. The saddle was the same Bontrager Race saddle that was spec'd on the bike originally, but I swapped out the white one for a black one.

·
Burrito Addict
16 Posts
Most bang for the buck, DT Swiss tubeless wheels and the most weight was probably wheels, bars and seatpost. I got carbon fiber bars and seatpost. Carbon fiber water cage. the DT swiss tubeless wheels and hutchison tires. Also got a very light seat. It weighed 27 pounds when I was all done.

·
DT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup, Definitely look at your rotating mass first..

Wheels
Tires
Tubes
Pedals
Crankset
Chain
Brakes rotors

With the exception of wheels and cranks, these are relatively low-cost ways to shave a lot of weight. The OEM Bontrager stuff in the cockpit is really overweight as well. Swapping out the Saddle, seatpost, stem, and bars will take a bunch of weight off too. If you have the budget, ditching the Tora fork for another will take an easy 1lb off the bike and make the front end more nimble and easier to handle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.