Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I'm bargain hunting parts for 29er build.

There are some pretty good sales out there but I can't get a fork with everything on sale.

Do you reckon I'm better off with a tapered steerer or a 15mm thru axle?

Both 2010 Fox F29s.

Thanks

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Ross51 said:
Hi All - I'm bargain hunting parts for 29er build.

There are some pretty good sales out there but I can't get a fork with everything on sale.

Do you reckon I'm better off with a tapered steerer or a 15mm thru axle?

Both 2010 Fox F29s.

Thanks
I'd get the tapered steerer with the 15mm TA hands down over one or the other - budget be damned...

BB

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Thru axle for sure especially since you're talking Fox forks.

The tapered steerer is stiffer but not as stiff as the Reba 29's tapered steerer. Fox necks down the crown very quickly between the steerer and stanchions so they don't get the full advantabe of the tapered steerer. RS uses a nice gradual taper between the steerer and stanchions so the Reba is noticeable stiffer fore/aft. I have one of each of the forks (Foxes with QR15s and Rebas with Maxles) so it is easy for me to make comparisons.

Anyways, you'll be best off with a thru axle because it creates a very noticeable difference in steering precision.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
BruceBrown said:
I'd get the tapered steerer with the 15mm TA hands down over one or the other - budget be damned...

BB
+1 IMHO

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Definitely if there's absolutely no chance you can get a fork with both, definitely chose the TA over tapered steerer - was a huge improvement for me going to TA from QR, even using a DT RWS didn't do too much in terms of stiffness, although it did help a bit. Now with the TA fork where I point it is generally where it goes, being deflected offline is much less of an occurrence now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Guys. I heard the feedback and got one with both. Can't wait to get the parts and build it up. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Ross51 said:
Thanks Guys. I heard the feedback and got one with both. Can't wait to get the parts and build it up. Cheers.
Hopefully your frame has a tapered head tube.

·
Trail Ninja
6,174 Posts
shiggy said:
Hopefully your frame has a tapered or a zerostack head tube.
^ Fixed. That headset was news to me too. A good percentage of 29er frames have it to keep the front end lower.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yup, learned about the 44xx just last week and it gave me new hope for my old Trance that has a 44 ID HT, so looking for a cheap fork with at least 265mm steerer and tapered so I can get it built back up in a 69 configuration and still have the fork available for any future 29er frames.
Varaxis said:
^ Fixed. That headset was news to me too. A good percentage of 29er frames have it to keep the front end lower.

·
Registered
595 Posts
that is not the point... it is POSSIBLE, that is what lynx mentioned... of course, you would not get a 29er fok now as an experiment without tapered steerer...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Varaxis said:
Better fix: a frame capable of using a tapered steer tube fork.

Note that a 44 headset for tapered steerer forks uses an external lower cup. This increases the lower stack height vs zero stack. Higher front end, slacker HTA if installed in a zero stack frame. IF you can install it in a zero stack frame as the insertion of the 44 cup is deeper than ZS and the head tube may not be machined deep enough.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
kitejumping said:
Bigger axle is more important than a tapered steerer, but get both if you can.
Not necessarily. The olny test I saw on a Fox for was last year for a 26" version, but the tapered steerer increased the stiffness significantly, the 15mm did not.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts