Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a 2 year old REBA be able (in any way) to work wiith the New Superfly frames from TREK. They have some 'special' needs with their headsets (I hear) but no one really know (who I have asked.) It's not your standard tapered headset (I even heard that TREK made these specifically to NOT work with Chris King Headsets---)

So trying to get a 46mm (1-1/8) REBA to work with new Superfly frames??

I am seeing more new ones (2012) already on Ebay--

New Trek / Gary Fisher Series Super Fly Aluminum Elite Mountain Bike Frame 19" | eBay

·
Registered
565 Posts
Will a 2 year old REBA be able (in any way) to work wiith the New Superfly frames from TREK. They have some 'special' needs with their headsets (I hear) but no one really know (who I have asked.) It's not your standard tapered headset (I even heard that TREK made these specifically to NOT work with Chris King Headsets---)
What is not standard about the headtube? What are the special needs. Do you mean the headset or head tube? I'm not sure what you mean by the headset will not work with a King headset. it shouldn't. Unless you mean the head tube.

Anyway,
With any headtube that is tapered, to use a 1 1/8 fork, you will need a reducer for the bottom of the headset. This is fairly common. Not sure what makes Trek's headtube different. I'm sure you could get a headset from trek or your local trek dealer, and probably use an FSA reducer or any other reduce.

Good luck

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I believe (but not 100% sure) that the lower is an integrated 1.5" bearing and race. So you need a reducer crown race for the 1 1/8" steer tube. If it is a Cane Creek I know you can just get the crown race. Otherwise you may need to buy the bearing and reducer race. The Cane Creek IS 52/30 lower should be the right one. You might want to double check this at a Trek LBS or on the Trek forums.

PS-King makes a upper headset for the Zerostack top, but does not make integrated headsets at all so the lower bearing is not available from King.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all.. I might be saying some things wrong (but looks like I can get it to work)--just not with a Chris King....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts