Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
As many others, I'm eagerly waiting for the new 2010 Jet to arrive.
Because it has a tapered headtube I'd like to order a new tapered steerer fork along with the Jet.
I would do this rather for aesthetic reasons than for the added stiffness.
Actually, I didn't notice a lack of stiffness in the 'old' Jet9...:D
One question though: will there be a 9mm QR open drop-out option too?
Got 2 wheelsets, with QR 9 mm front axles, and I'm not keen on bying 2 new front hubs, let alone entire front wheels.
All tapered OEM 100mm forks that I read about are either 15mm or 20mm TA:skep:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
as you may know you can use a non tapered steerer fork on the Jet9 with the supplied adapter.

also, depending on what hubs you're wheels have you may be able to adapt them to accept a 15mm QR.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dikkie said:
Hi,
Because it has a tapered headtube I'd like to order a new tapered steerer fork along with the Jet.
Got 2 wheelsets, with QR 9 mm front axles, and I'm not keen on bying 2 new front hubs, let alone entire front wheels.
Yep, I'd like to know also. Really prefer to go with the tapered.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Dikkie said:
Hi,
Oh, I'm following this developing situation as well since our new JETs will start shipping in the February time frame if all goes as Niner has stated.

What front hubs do you have on those two wheelsets? I converted my 9mm QR Chris King hub to 15mm so I could use one of my wheelsets on the Fox OEM 15mm fork I got for my discounted RIP frame. I believe my 9mm QR American Classic hub can convert as well (that's the wheelset I was racing on my JET), but I haven't ordered the kit yet as I was waiting to see which direction I go fork wise with my newly designed JET. Do I use the old Reba or go to a new tapered steerer fork?

At least with the King ISO Disc hub - it's an easy, simple two minute conversion and I can go back and forth between 15mm and 9mm by swapping out the kits depending on which fork and bike I am using.

As bt mentioned, you can run your old fork (1 1/8") with no problems using the supplied crown race. That's your most cost effective solution as you keep your current fork and wheel(s) and go on as before. Aesthetics would be the only reason you would switch?:nono: I think the increased stiffness would be the more worthy reason to upgrade to the tapered steerer tube to take advantage of that development.:thumbsup:

It remains a bit difficult to ascertain the 2010 actual forks that will ship until we see what everyone is really making and selling to us.

The chart at RockShox claims the XX will be available in 9mm QR or 20mm Maxie Lite. And it will be available in 1 1/8 or tapered steerer. And, of course, the XX will be available in 26 and 29" versions. That's all fine and good on paper/website. But what will the final 29"er versions with tapered steerer tube actually be once they come out and are shipping? I guess we all need patience to find out. But that could be the ticket for you, if they do have all those options, to have the tapered steerer tube with a 9mm QR dropout in the race format.

Fox won't even mention anything other than the 1 1/8 steerer on their website for the 2010 32 F29"er fork. They do say it comes in 9mm or 15mm as well as 80mm, 100mm or 120mm versions. But outside of the current OEM tapered steerer versions on various bikes (Giant, Fisher, Niner, Specialized, etc....) that are "oh so secretive" - nada about tapered steerer tubes on their site as of yet. :nono: Maybe Niner dealers will again be selling OEM versions in the shorter travel versions directly to JET owners like they have been for the RIP 9's.

I believe the Marzocchi 44's are all only going to come in the 15mm versions in the 29"er format, but again - I await to see what all the final versions actually are shipping (dropouts, steerer tubes, travel) as we move into 2010 and the upcoming season. Since Niner is dealing out the new Zokes with their WFO, maybe they will be dealing out some sort of appropriate OEM versions for our new JET 9's as well. Again, I've read nothing outside of the 15mm QR versions. And I believe the lockout function requires some knob spinning and turning beyond my needs for an XC race sled. I just like to flip my handlebar remote on my Reba.

Other options mentioned in a few threads include - at least if you currently own a Fox with the 1 1/8 steerer tube - buying the upper crown/assembly/steerer tube with the tapered steerer tube to replace your current one. I forget the price, but I seem to recall it was in the neighborhood of $250 - $300+. If you've got a Fox, that would be one way to take advantage of the tapered steerer tube, yet keep your 9mm dropouts and hubs. Here's a quote from a post back in September....

Fox customer service, you can order the tapered steer replacement for $285. Steerer, crown and stanchions.

I don't know if there is or if there will be a similar option for those of us who own a 1 1/8th steerer tube Reba who would like to upgrade the upper assembly with one that has a tapered steerer tube. And if it is available - what model year of Reba's will it actually work on (probably only on the latest and greatest which locks me out of that path to uprade).

Isn't the technology adoption life cycle grand? It forces us to have to pony over some $$$ to upgrade.

Then again, if one can set the aesthetics aside, you've got the fork and wheels. The JET will come with the headset that has the proper crown race so you will be in business for $0.:cool:

BB

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I went from the 9mm QR on my Jet9 to the Fox RLC 15mm T/A & realy liked the stiffness gain.

I'm sure the fork they come up with will be STD 9mm qr I just hope that there is a T/A option as well, If there isn't I will be putting on a Fox F29 RL 120mm 15mm T/A fork & go from there & just ride it till other options come about.

I never keep any of my gear for that long & I'm sure that over the next little while that every bike maker will be going tappered steerer & through axle ( because it is better ) so for what its worth if I had good wheels that were only Std QR I would be selling them now when they are still worth something ( Take a med hit now & not a large hit later ).

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One set has a Hope Pro II front hub and another a XTR M975 Centerlock.
I could buy a 20mm TA kit for the Hope...
Already have a geared 29" bike (Air9) and a singlespeed (GF Rig), each with a Reba SL open dropout fork in my stable and would like to swap front wheels sometimes, depending on the season and tire choice.

I hope to know more in february, new Jet arrival time;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen a pic in another thread of a 'tapered' RIP with a 1 1/8" fork.
The 'aesthetics idea' moved in front of the 'stiffness-principle' wenn I saw that pic. :D
It would be wonderful if they could let us choose from a big 'menu-card', 9mm,15mm, 20mm TA, 80,100,120 mm travel, poplock on the stearer or switch on the fork...
Just pick out;)
I guess that will not be realistic.
I wouldn't get a stearer switch for the lock out, flipping the knob on the Reba SL is a 0.5 second one finger action and I dont't use it often.

As Muzzanic wrote, I could sell a wheelset and go for the 20mm TA option (best imo).
Dear manufacturers, make us more lightweight hubs.
I'm on the lucky side: the Hope is even a bit lighter with the 20mm kit...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tapered Reba SL

OK, so I'm building an air9 in small for my wife and/or son to ride. Just saw the 2010 Reba 29 SL for sale in classifieds and went for it. This is a takeoff from a 2010 FSR and per the Specialized web page it's got the tapered steerer, 100mm travel, rebound and compression adj and 9mm quick release axle. Nothing listed as to offset so am looking for advice on whether this fork is suited for my build? At $350 did I overpay?

Thanks,can't wait to get started!

·
2,818 Posts
celdred1 said:
OK, so I'm building an air9 in small for my wife and/or son to ride. Just saw the 2010 Reba 29 SL for sale in classifieds and went for it. This is a takeoff from a 2010 FSR and per the Specialized web page it's got the tapered steerer, 100mm travel, rebound and compression adj and 9mm quick release axle. Nothing listed as to offset so am looking for advice on whether this fork is suited for my build? At $350 did I overpay?

Thanks,can't wait to get started!
FYI guys - If this is the Reba SL proprietary to Specialized with a carbon steerer and crown...it might not work. Specialized uses a special lower inset race/bearing on their S-works 2010 - at least the Marathon Epic fork I've held in my hands. I would clarify if it has the carbon steerer or the aluminum one - if it is a take off from an FSR it should be aluminum and good to go. If it has the race 18 or so mm's up from the crown it won't work...I have not seen the FSR tapered aluminum to know for sure though.

$350 is a good deal considering they are not available to the aftermarket yet, but in 60 days or so will be.

Brett

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tapered Reba

Thanks for the info Bret. I've attached the link to the ad and pic of the fork. It looks to be aluminum steerer and crown so I'd say it should work on the 2010 Air9. Am I correct that the 2010 Air9 comes with a tapered head tube? I could swear I read that somewhere but now I can't find it. Thanks for your help as seller is awaiting my paypal order...

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=44192&cat=

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showfull.php?product=44192&bigimage=fork.jpg

·
2,818 Posts
celdred1 said:
Thanks for the info Bret. I've attached the link to the ad and pic of the fork. It looks to be aluminum steerer and crown so I'd say it should work on the 2010 Air9. Am I correct that the 2010 Air9 comes with a tapered head tube? I could swear I read that somewhere but now I can't find it. Thanks for your help as seller is awaiting my paypal order...

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=44192&cat=

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showfull.php?product=44192&bigimage=fork.jpg
2010 AIR9 CARBON = 1.5 lower to 1 1/8 tapered
2010 AIR9 Scandium = 1 1/8 standard steerer

That fork looks like it should work....

Cheers,

Brett

·
COMBO - President
296 Posts
So I have followed the lack of a Fox aftermarket fork with some frustration. I discussed this with my LBS, they can get Tapered Fox forks aftermarket with a minimum order of 80 units. Yeah, read that again, 80 units, minimum order. :yikes:

Why couldn't Niner take pre-orders for Fox F29 forks to coincide with the Jet release? Seems that they would easily exceed the minimum order limit and likely get a good price to boot for all us warranty Jet owners. :idea:

I for one would pony up now for a pre-order F29 rather than wait on Fox to get their collective act together sometime after Sea Otter to release a aftermarket F29. :madman:

·
Dirty South Underdog
1,733 Posts
Looking at the RockShox website, it seems as though both Reba and SID forks will have tapered steertube/29er options. No idea if they're available anywhere, though. I can't seem to find one listed online, but I'm guessing it might be a special order.

I'm hoping to get one of these w/a Maxle: http://www.sram.com/node/40/brand/rockshox/src/cat

·
jceahodges
56 Posts
Reba: tapered steerer, crown, and stanction assembly

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=573017

Just like Fox... Rock Shox (RS) has "tapered steerer, crown, and stanction assemblys" available NOW. Cost, not sure, but likely less expensive than Fox. Your 2009 or 2010 Reba's can be converted to tapered without having to wait for the new ones. I personally talked to a RS rep and he told me these assemblies are available NOW through your LBS straight from SRAM. The thread above has all the numbers you need.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
jceahodges said:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=573017

Just like Fox... Rock Shox (RS) has "tapered steerer, crown, and stanction assemblys" available NOW. Cost, not sure, but likely less expensive than Fox. Your 2009 or 2010 Reba's can be converted to tapered without having to wait for the new ones. I personally talked to a RS rep and he told me these assemblies are available NOW through your LBS straight from SRAM. The thread above has all the numbers you need.
There was a post with the cost, but I forget how much it was. The Fox is $285 and the Reba upper assembly with the tapered steerer was less than that, but I can't remember. I'm guessing from memory it was in the $185 - $225 range.

My Reba is pre-2009/10, so I'm out of luck with that route.

BB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.