Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Don't Tread on Me
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While waiting at the start line in a recent race I noticed a guy had taped his Gel packs to the handlebars. Personally I hate racing one handed while fumbling through my jersey pocket for my gel. It is amazing how hard it is to access and eat anything while racing all out. What works for you guys?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Taping the tops (the part that you normally tear off before consuming) of Gu gels to the front of the top tube works well for me. You can stack 2-3 and just tear them off one by one. The tops stay taped to the top tube, then you can just stash the rest of the empty Gu packet into your bib or jersey. No fumbling in your back pockets! No Litter! Win-win.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Personally I prefer to use a gel flask. I find that I can never get all of the gel out of a foil packet, and it is a pain to try to stuff it back into a pocket afterward. It's a little easier to handle a flask, and quicker to eat from. You can also get a flask holster if you don't like to reach into your pockets. I use this holster for endurance races.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I saw a guy with a cool idea at the last race I was at. He had shot blocks (the little gel cubes) stuck to his top tube. He said if you lick one side and press it down it'll stay on the whole race. I never caught up to him to actually see if they worked and it was a muddy race so I imagine they were a little crunchy but it seemed like a neat idea to keep them handy.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Rice cakes, banana bread, sweet potato w/ cinnamon, maple syrup in a flask are my usual options that I choose from. I avoid the nasty store bought gels.
+2

Gels are terrible. Take this guys advice or get a quality drink mix. Everything I need for a 100 miles comes from my bottle.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,914 Posts
drink mix in standard water bottles or in camelbak is better than gu IMHO
60 grams carb per hour is a generic baseline of carb intake

however

for gu, the little flasks (fuelbelt sized) are better...
open a few gus dump in the flask add water to make it flow faster
stick in back pocket

·
Registered
911 Posts
I saw a guy with a cool idea at the last race I was at. He had shot blocks (the little gel cubes) stuck to his top tube. He said if you lick one side and press it down it'll stay on the whole race. I never caught up to him to actually see if they worked and it was a muddy race so I imagine they were a little crunchy but it seemed like a neat idea to keep them handy.
apparently it worked for Georgia Gould at Fontana. I'm a flask user myself.

Nose Mouth Sports uniform Sports gear Personal protective equipment

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,267 Posts
Blends of bananas dates and greens work well in a bottle for me. Concentrated calories, but real whole food. But I like the gel taping/tearing off idea!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
For road races I lick chews and stick them to my top tube... haven't really perfected anything for mountain biking yet. With gels I end up with more all over my bike than in my mouth (though I do like the tape to the top tube idea), and I'm not sure I want to lick the dirt off a chew...

·
Registered
375 Posts
I usually stick the gel packets in the bottom of my bibs (using the rubber leg grippers to hold them in place). It is not only easier to get them out than reaching into a jersey pocket, but it also reminds me to eat because they're right in front of me the whole time.

·
Relentless forward motion
354 Posts
The block is not supposed to be brown. That is dirt stuck to it. Something to consider. As someone mentioned before, adding a tiny bit of water to a gel flask really makes ingesting and consuming the gel easier.
Ridiculous! It is definitely brown. It is an energy block not yet available commercially. I believe it is an experiment block from Clif. I've had a few. They are excellent. Sheesh. Blocks that are perfectly brown from dirt??? Wow

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I usually stick the gel packets in the bottom of my bibs (using the rubber leg grippers to hold them in place). It is not only easier to get them out than reaching into a jersey pocket, but it also reminds me to eat because they're right in front of me the whole time.
Yeah, I tried the taping to the top tube method and I've lost a couple of gels that way. Pull off one and a second one goes with it.
Tucking the gel up under the legband of my shorts works best for me, they stay in place, are easy to reach and aren't in the way at all. After I consume the gel the wrapper gets stashed in the same place and I toss them in the trash at the end of the race. Easy!

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Yeah, I tried the taping to the top tube method and I've lost a couple of gels that way. Pull off one and a second one goes with it.
Tucking the gel up under the legband of my shorts works best for me, they stay in place, are easy to reach and aren't in the way at all. After I consume the gel the wrapper gets stashed in the same place and I toss them in the trash at the end of the race. Easy!
Best to shave that section of your leg. ;-)

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Specialized have just announced a set of cycling bib shorts that have pockets in the sides of the legs which appear to be for holding gels in:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ft...-spring-2014short-mtnmountain-bib-liner-51062

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.