Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've seem some bikes here have sleeves or tapes on the chain side of their frame. The purpose of this is to protect the frame from the chain.

Can someone give me a tip on what to use on my prophet bike? Is there any store that sells a sleeve or do i have to tape it up?

Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just used an old tube, cut it, wrapped it around the chain stay (part that gets beat up by the chain), and zip tied it down.

My rear derailleur cable runs along the chain stay, so using tape would be very difficult for me unless I undid the cable.
If your cable is run somewhere else and the chainstay is completely free then you can use tape if you want. Or a tube with tape over it.
I'd recommend a soft cloth tape like hockey table. Comes in colors too.

You can buy pre-made guards, like lizard skins, but why bother spending the money. I've read they dont stay on well though.. but have no first-hand experience with them.

·
[NEC] No Excuses Campaign
76 Posts
My mountain bike can get scratched? :D

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I had a problem with rear derailleur cage hitting the chain stay. It carved a 1-2 mm deep slot in the metal (the frame was reinforced in this spot). Protecting the chain stay with an old tube wasn't enough, the RD cut through it very quickly, I had to use a piece of tire for protection. Looked ugly, but still better, than having the frame broken down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts