Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got UST (xtr) rims and have been playing with regular tires (non-ust sb8's) on them with stan's sealant. I got one to seal up pretty well, the other, no go. So I want a light weight solution to get a better seal and easier inflation (lighter than the full rimstrip), and want to hear about experiences with tape (like stan's yellow tape) in a UST rim to help give a better seal.

If I go the yellow tape route, I'm also wondering about whether the 25mm standard tape would be too wide (the external rim width of the xtr's is 23.3mm), or if the 21mm olympic yellow tape is too narrow(?!)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Stans yellow tape is very thin so I am not sure how many layers you would need to effectively "build up" the rim and then you would have the hassle of unwrapping it all later if your setup changed. I have used a Stans standard rim strip on a UST rim with a regular tire and it worked well. If you are concerned about weight, Stans also recommends their Olympic rim strip can be used which I think only weights around 35grams (less than the standard strip).

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
sangmatt said:
I've got UST (xtr) rims and have been playing with regular tires (non-ust sb8's) on them with stan's sealant. I got one to seal up pretty well, the other, no go. So I want a light weight solution to get a better seal and easier inflation (lighter than the full rimstrip), and want to hear about experiences with tape (like stan's yellow tape) in a UST rim to help give a better seal.

If I go the yellow tape route, I'm also wondering about whether the 25mm standard tape would be too wide (the external rim width of the xtr's is 23.3mm), or if the 21mm olympic yellow tape is too narrow(?!)
Or just use UST tires and be done with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.