Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

TanTan FM08 - First Build

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  supermoto65 
#1 ·
Ordered up a TanTan FM08 27.5er Plus/ 29er Boost Carbon All Mountain Full Suspension Frame--深圳市碳碳运动器材有限公司

Sissypants on the board helped me acquire the frame and answered my million plus questions. Having never ordered anything directly from China, it is nice to have a US contact as a guide.

Took about a month to get. I got the 29'r version since it was in stock. I have 29 and 27.5 wheelsets so I figured it would be good either way.

Finished the initial build last night. It went okay for my first build .. I learned a lot and the next one will go a lot smoother.

Overall, I am pleased with the frame construction and quality. I ran into a few snags but nothing major.

The internal cable inserts were mixed up with the holes being too small on the brake side stay. No big deal to drill out or swap with the other side. Still had to drill a few out. The ones near the head tube were another issue - the bolts holding them in actually intruded into the head tube area and hit the steerer tube. I had to shorten them ... again, not a big deal.

... cut down the long screws that intruded into the head tube without issues. Dropper cable was a little bit of a pain but I got it in ... TIP - route all cables BEFORE installing forks. That makes it much easier to grab the cables as the come into the head tube area.

I would probably have it painted if I ordered it again today ... I did not realize the UD Matte was also a paintjob and thought I would get the frame sooner if I opted out of custom paint. The UD Matte shows everything and there are a few areas that look like mistakes or just look aesthetically bad. The front of the headtube, for instance (see pics). I am designing a vinyl wrap for the bike ... not sure which way I am going with that yet so not a big deal.

Still need to cut down the steerer once I get the cockpit fit nailed down. Also have 165mm crankset to go in place of the 175mm on it now. On the lookout for a nicer dropper with a little more travel.

I hope to hit the trail this evening .. will report back with ride report.

Build Sheet

TanTan FM08 Frame - UD Matte 29'r version
Fork - 2019 Pike 150mm Debonair Charger 2 Boost
Shock - Fox - Factory DPS EVOL (210x55 for 150mm rear travel)
RWC Needle bearing shock bushings on the way .. not yet installed.
Groupset - SRAM Eagle GX
Brakes - Shimano XT 8000 180mm rotors
Wheels - 27.5" Race Face ARC 35 with Bitex hubs built by SpeedGearBike
Minion DHF and DHRII 2.6 WT
Spoon bars and 35mm stem
ODI Troy Lee lock on grips
Dropper - KS Eten 100mm with Wolftooth lever
Seatpost Clamp - Amazon blue anodized no name
WTB seat

I took most components off my 2019 Motobecane HAL Eagle Boost. I liked the MB a lot but started reading about the china carbon frames and couldn't pass up this deal.

I got the Fox shock on Pros Closet for $149 shipped .. it's a 2017 Yeti takeoff.

SpeedGearBike built the wheels and I had them on my MB HAL for a couple of months ... very happy with them but I may have a 29 set built as well.

Frame arrives in one piece.

Screws protruding into head tube area.

Shock all mounted. Was a little tricky holding the flip chip parts while getting the shock in place.

Fitting the Fork and bars

Eagle GX

Had to adapt a few parts to get the BB in .. the press I bought would not clear the inner bearing race so I had to improvise. Got it in without issue though. Plenty of grease applied so let's hope no creaking.

Crank is in.

32 Chainring fits easily.

Those are some nice blue fookers ... lol (Fooker Pedals on Amazon)

These pics are from a couple of nights ago ... I will post some pics of the completely finished bike later.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the build or if there are any measurements you need or want ...

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks! I will get a measurement and post later. Yeah ... I mentioned in the post I will probably build a set of 29's and see. I have the WTB's from the donor bike and might toss those on for a bit but they are skinny 23mm.

Ah, your first response with someone telling you how they'd build it differently. Forums never disappoint.

Nice build. I'm interested to see how wrapping the bike will come out. I've got a frame on order from HongFu (fingers crossed it actually arrives given the run around I'm getting) and seriously considering the wrap idea. Do you intend to wrap the whole bike or just cover the areas you don't like? I didn't know the UD matte was also paint. If that's the case, why is there the seem on the HT? I've painted a few motorcycles/vehicles so trying to decide if wrap or paint is going to be better.
No worries! Not planning on wrapping the entire bike .... haven't decided on the design yet but it will be partial wrap. I've painted before as well but was too impatient to get the build complete.

Good pics. Looks like a fun bike.
Thanks!

#3 ·
Ah, your first response with someone telling you how they'd build it differently. Forums never disappoint.

Nice build. I'm interested to see how wrapping the bike will come out. I've got a frame on order from HongFu (fingers crossed it actually arrives given the run around I'm getting) and seriously considering the wrap idea. Do you intend to wrap the whole bike or just cover the areas you don't like? I didn't know the UD matte was also paint. If that's the case, why is there the seem on the HT? I've painted a few motorcycles/vehicles so trying to decide if wrap or paint is going to be better.

#6 ·
I am looking at a full suspension Chiner frame for next season. I have been riding a WorksWell 062 hardtail for the past two/three years. Just seeing the quality control with the headtube bolts makes takes this frame off my shortlist. If a builder has such blatant disregard for quality in an obvious location, I wonder about what cannot be easily seen.

Wishing you the best.

#8 ·
Looking forward to your ride report! The specs on your build look really well sorted, it should be a top-level ride!

27.5 tires have their place in our sport (obviously), and you've got wide rubber so it's going to be very playful and a load of fun. I doubt you'd want to go to 29 unless you're racing competitively, chasing KOMs, or really need a little more rollover ability in rocky or rutted terrain.

Regarding the quality control on the headtube bolts, frame accessory QC is sometimes overlooked by these sellers, that does not mean the frame QC was overlooked. Every frame model has been destroyed at the factory at least once in testing. This is done to ensure that every model frame exceeds international industry performance standards. There is a whole book full of testing protocols that they follow (ask them for a copy) if you're still skeptical. Not to mention, if a frame breaks within 2 years, they need to replace it, and that would put them in the hole since their profit margins are so small.

#9 ·
A few updates:

Wheels ... had some 29's built and the should be here on Monday. The pedal strikes were happening too often for me. Even with the 165mm cranks ... I noticed on a recent ride while following someone that they were pedaling in a lot of places that I couldn't or didn't because of the possibility of a pedal strike.

BB ... it's creaking badly. I noticed on my first, longer ride that my crankset came loose ... this was after about 9 miles. A few rides after getting it tightened back it started creaking. I wasn't sure where it was coming from so I torqued and greased all the pivot points, checked rear axle tightness but still had the creak. Pretty sure it is coming from the BB. I hate press fit BB's. Reading up on it I see where some say to use carbon paste instead of grease on aluminum BB cups like I have.

Got a great deal on a remaining 2018 Hope Tech 3 V4 front brake in blue .. so grabbed that and got a E4 for the back. Using the Shimano rotors for now but plan on replacing them with Hope rotors.

Started the wrap on the bike this week. I chose Avery Roaring Thunder Gloss color flip. I really like the blue/red/gold flip on this and the Avery color films are much easier to work with compared to 3m. I don't plan on wrapping the entire frame but haven't decided on an exact design yet ...

Hopefully finish the wrap this weekend and get some pics with the new wheels next week.

Couple of pics from the first real ride ...

Bike outran all the snakes and gators!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.