Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using Tuffy inserts and tubes with my MTB tires. The hubs and tires are tubeless capable so the only change would be using different valves and adding sealant. But there is also the option of using tubeless armour inserts like the ones from Tannus.

From the Tannus website there is the statement that a tube cannot be used with the tubeless inserts which then raises the questioon about options, other than walking, for dealing with severe punctures or other stuff on the trail that results in a flat tire. Does anyone have any direct experience with the Tannus tubeless inserts on their bike?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am currently using Tuffy inserts and tubes with my MTB tires. The hubs and tires are tubeless capable so the only change would be using different valves and adding sealant. But there is also the option of using tubeless armour inserts like the ones from Tannus.

From the Tannus website there is the statement that a tube cannot be used with the tubeless inserts which then raises the questioon about options, other than walking, for dealing with severe punctures or other stuff on the trail that results in a flat tire. Does anyone have any direct experience with the Tannus tubeless inserts on their bike?
I used Tannus tubeless version, works the same as most tubeless insert. I believe Tannus have a different version an insert with tube inside. except it's way more heavier than with tube. But it certainly bomb proof.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,510 Posts
I have Tannus Tubeless inserts in 3 of my 4 wheels (no front on the singlespeed). They work very well for me. This shootout by PinkBike did a good job I think, and I agree with their assessments that Tannus is more like insurance than a 'system' such as CushCore. I can't tell a difference between my 2 front wheels, one with and one without, unless I bang into the rim. The inserted wheel feels much more blunted on a hard impact.
I've ridden cushcore and inserts that are designed to support the tire, and I personally don't love it, especially on the front wheel.

I also like that Tannus is easy to install. Now that I've changed 4-5 tires, I can do the whole swap, including the insert in under 10 minutes, with a single tire lever. There's definitely a technique, but once you get it, it's easy.

OP- I know you asked none of this, but I wrote it all for anyone searching for info and stumbled on this post.

To answer your question-
Mortsnarb got it right- if the tire is truly done, you tube up, and wear the insert like a bandoleer of shame. That said,
The point of an insert is to less or alleviate the likelihood of a puncture by supporting the tire carcass and distributing the force, as well as protecting the rim. I've had ONE a flat in over a year, and it was quickly solved with 2 tire bacons. I live in the AZ desert, with literally nothing but sharp rocks and cactus, and I also race enduro with all the grace and line precision of Helen Keller.
I think I might be able/willing to ride the flat wheel with insert inside on a dirt road bailout to limp home. It's a fairly robust piece of foam.
Lastly- If run-flat capability is important to you look into the Vittoria AirLiner insert.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies and personal experiences. Seems like the Tannus tubeless inserts, though expensive in total to install are a good product and only the ongoing cost of adding new sealant from time to time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.