Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main thing holding me back from ordering is the weight, although it's not that much heavier than an enduro tire plus insert. I'd love to not have to deal with sealant and everything that comes with it.

·
Registered
18,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm currently using Vittoria Air Liners and they've managed to loosen within the tires somehow, making an audible clunking sound. It's kind of annoying and I don't understand how they've grown in length.

Maybe it's time to switch to the Tannus.

·
Registered
18,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They stretch, if you've seen any of YT vids about them, specifically Sid & Macky who are Vittoria team riders they mention it. At some point you should pull it out and trim it.

I just did mine cut off about 3-4" on a 27.5

Sent from #THELEGENDMTB using Tapatalk on an iPhone
I haven't seen any YouTube commentary on them but I recently cut 4" off my rear liner. It must be time to cut my front one down but I dread the process so I've been putting it off. I'm thinking more and more about trying out the Tannus on my DH wheels where the weight won't be a big deal.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I wonder what these inserts plus one of those Tubolito tubes would weigh comparatively to other inserts plus sealant? Expensive tubes, but if you hardly ever get a flat, then probably worth it to save the weight.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Tannus saved the day for one of the Masters riders at a race here this morning. He knew he landed awkwardly at a rock but didn't notice the damage to his tire until after the finish line.

Every guy who saw this bought one then and there.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tannus saved the day for one of the Masters riders at a race here this morning. He knew he landed awkwardly at a rock but didn't notice the damage to his tire until after the finish line.

Every guy who saw this bought one then and there.

Sent using Tapatalk
Whoa, nice! I haven't mounted mine yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Has anyone had any trouble installing theirs? I am struggling big time trying to get the armour over the rim. I gave up after an hour of effort. I can get the first 75% of the armour and tire onto the rim but the last quarter just won’t fit.

·
Registered
18,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone had any trouble installing theirs? I am struggling big time trying to get the armour over the rim. I gave up after an hour of effort. I can get the first 75% of the armour and tire onto the rim but the last quarter just won't fit.
Yeah I gave up. I was able to get the Tannus onto the rim but there was no way I was getting the tire bead on there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just bought mine. Here in South Africa we have a fairly dry rocky scene with goathead (duwweltjie) thorns from spring to autumn. I hate sealant when it doesn't work. When it does. It's amazing. I realize these inserts may end the days of swearing in the garage the day before a weekend Enduro race.
Mounted mine with some thinner sidewalled schwalbe (mm front Rock razor rear). (spez blckdmnd on before) The Mary took a mahoosive effort to get on. Think I almost dislocated my thumb in the process. Its on now. Realise I should have opted for the 2.6 not the 2.35. Normal tubes make the whole thing a bit heavy.
Anyways. Tubolitos coming in the mail soon. So, will be great to forget about ride interruptions due to punctures/burps/dried out sealant.
I'm keen to see if the dampening is as pronounced as reviewers claim.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I tried the Tubolito + Tannus + Exo setup. The Tubolitos don't hold up as well as regular tubes. I've pinched three.

The ride quality is different...very dead/damped. And quiet.

Cush feels a bit more like a standard tubeless at low PSI but its such a pain in the ass to deal with.

Honestly, a Maxxis DD set up standard tubeless is probably more than enough for most riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First propper run down rocky descent. Flat. Snakebites on the tubolito tube in the back. Luckily not a major pain to fix. New tube in 5min later. Won't be running sub 27psi rear with the armour anytime soon. Also won't be using tubolitos again. They're VERY fragile. Shame. I think I shouldn't be too hard on the tannus armour. It did handle pretty well. Felt amazingly dampened. Almost like schwalbe's most DH rated addix compound with super thick side walls. No pinging off rocks. Kept a nice straight line down contermanskloof revised.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.