Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to try the lower ridge route and see just how slow I really am.

Since it's supposed to get up to 100F today I laid everything I could out last night, got up with the dogs, and rumbled out of here fairly early. It was just before 8AM when I got started.

The oft-pictured cabin along the riverbottom:

This section had a few mud puddles that spanned the entire width. I ended up not making it quite through one without dabbing, disturbed a bunch of good sized frogs, and rolling along after picked up so many pine needles and little sticks on my tires that I was thinking I'd just grown curb feelers.

The steep section popping back onto the road had so much loose dirt and rocks on it that I opted to just hoof it up. The road up to the ridge kinda stunk... just one long slow grind up, and in full blast of the ever-warmer sun. I kept playing head games with myself just to keep moving at a decent enough clip to get it over with. This junction was a VERY welcome sight.

However bad the dirt road climb was, the rest of the trail was great. Some loose rocks and dust (which will get worse later in the season I'm sure) and I had to spend some time here and there waiting for some motos to pass me heading the opposite direction. But did I mention the ridge-top-awesomeness? Views were SPECTACULAR, the forest floor carpeted with thick grass and lupine and paint brush, and most of the trail could be rolled and swooped at a decent (to me) clip.

Um, yeah, that's most definately a mud spattering... Oh, and I only fell once on the way down, although I have no idea how or why. Here's to leather gloves- AGAIN.

Before even halfway through this section I'd forgotten completely about doing this ride 'fast'. I was just having a hoot. There was even a couple on motos that were applauding me as I came down the last hill. :) Turns out they ride mountain bikes also and were exploring the area for the first time. I got them to take this picture of me, all full to the brim with nummy yummy Traily-Os and grinning like an idiot. :D

Final time? 1:55. I think the Blue Fairy just made me A Real Mountain Biker. :D

Side note: I've had major issues with heat in the past no matter how much I drank. Then back in January someone took my blood pressure and it was 85/62 (no, not a fluke- they took it 3 times). Kinda got me thinking about all those times I'd felt like I was going to black out while riding on a hot day. Thanks to some great advice on this board I've been experimenting w/ Hammer's endurolytes, and I think they're going to be a permanent summer time addition- today I felt like I could turn around and do it all again.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
verslowrdr said:
Hey, with this kind of luck, who knows WHAT I could do in another 15 years!!!
i personally think you'll raise the bar far beyond your expectations, but i would warn you against pissing off frogs too much. Especially Tanuem frogs...:D

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
You went the low road. It saves a little climbing because you dont have to go up and down a hill but funny thing is it doesnt save a lot of time. Less than 2 hours isnt too bad. I always park the car in the Junction parking lot and keep some refreshments on ice. It was hot today but two round trips is about right. It was at least 90 degrees everywhere. My legs would hardly move today. Taneum ridge is I think my favorite regular ride. There is no wasted elevation going up or down. You are never off the bike and going down is much easier than say Kachess and a little easier than Mission Ridge.

·
m0un#a!n 8ik3r
251 Posts
Great pics and ride report, VSR! Looks like fun times.

Great videos too.

... the frogs one, for some bizarre reason, reminded me of a time a few years ago when I was driving down I-5 and there was a big traffic backup somewhere around Des Moines and eventually it turned out that a truck carrying chicken legs had overturned and spilled it's load... nasty.:eekster:

... and on a cheerier note: the cookie monster one made me realize, for the first time, that when Ike from South Park says "cooka mogger", he's probably saying "cookie monster" (??) :lol:

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
ETA: NEVERMIND, you're talking Teanaway and I'm talking Taneum. Tom-ATE-o, To-MAH-to, but it does make a difference for maps. :)

I've poked around at the Teanaway years ago and so far remain unimpressed with the route finding difficulties out there. Between my experience, plus yours and another recent post, I remain wary of trying Teanaway out without a guide. And given my work schedule and family commitments, I expect that guide to appear in a slot my schedule can accommodate in... oh.... 167 years or so.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
borregokid said:
You went the low road. It saves a little climbing because you dont have to go up and down a hill but funny thing is it doesnt save a lot of time. Less than 2 hours isnt too bad. I always park the car in the Junction parking lot and keep some refreshments on ice. It was hot today but two round trips is about right. It was at least 90 degrees everywhere. My legs would hardly move today. Taneum ridge is I think my favorite regular ride. There is no wasted elevation going up or down. You are never off the bike and going down is much easier than say Kachess and a little easier than Mission Ridge.
Resuscitating an older thread here. A friend and I are thinking of hitting this ride this week. Is there a map anywhere of the this loop?

Thanks.
-Ian

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Best maps and trail descriptions I've found yet on line:
http://pc88092.math.cwu.edu/~montgomery/ride/trails/taneum/index.php

It's been raining quite a bit over here, so be sure to check the NOAA weather page for 'east slope Cascades' before coming over the hill and be prepared for mud puddles or worse. NOAA weather forecasts for this area tend to be on slightly less crack than other options.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
verslowrdr said:
Best maps and trail descriptions I've found yet on line:
http://pc88092.math.cwu.edu/~montgomery/ride/trails/taneum/index.php

It's been raining quite a bit over here, so be sure to check the NOAA weather page for 'east slope Cascades' before coming over the hill and be prepared for mud puddles or worse. NOAA weather forecasts for this area tend to be on slightly less crack than other options.
Thanks for those.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
verslowrdr said:
ETA: NEVERMIND, you're talking Teanaway and I'm talking Taneum. Tom-ATE-o, To-MAH-to, but it does make a difference for maps. :)

I've poked around at the Teanaway years ago and so far remain unimpressed with the route finding difficulties out there. Between my experience, plus yours and another recent post, I remain wary of trying Teanaway out without a guide. And given my work schedule and family commitments, I expect that guide to appear in a slot my schedule can accommodate in... oh.... 167 years or so.
You should have met us over on the West Fork this summer. We were over there several times. Just rode from Roslyn and back last weekend too. Next summer.....

As for the Taneum:

N Fk (Better than the ridge IMHO)
http://www.nwsource.com/outdoors/scr/of_detail.cfm?category=biking&rt=41407

http://www.nwsource.com/outdoors/scr/of_detail.cfm?category=biking&rt=41409
Taneum Ridge

All you need. Go get some!

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SING IT! "One season down, pass 'em around, 166 seasons 'till Verslo's back out...."

Had to leave work at 1PM today, daycare called and said my kid was sick and can't come back for 24 hours... she met me with a huge smile and spent the entire afternoon running around the house 'helping' me....Did I mention the kid shared her cold with me so I was sick all weekend? OY. There's just no winning. I'm probably going to pack up the bike within the next couple weeks and concentrate on getting in shape for skiing/dogs for skijoring!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Thanks all!

Well, with this weather I think I am officially hibernating until there's enough snow to ski on.

Yes, I'm a fair weather mtber. Which is probably why I don't get out much in this state. :lol: :lol: ;)

Cheers!

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's going to be cold and clear over here this weekend, highs in the 50s and sunny... actually not a bad time to sneak a last bite in (if you're NOT like me and fighting off the worst cold in years that is).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.