Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I headed up the Taneum to check the riding out as it looks like all the snow has cleared below 4500 feet. The Ridge Roller ride along with Fish Hook Flats loop are probably the best rides in the Taneum. I parked at the Taneum Junction Campground and met the Ranger who was checking for permits, I was the only biker their along with two motos. Even though its been a mild winter the snow has just cleared and the trails are still wet. I stayed off the "low road 3300" which I figured to be a muddy mess. Riding the high road adds some distance but you avoid the mud which I figure will be there for a long time. After about five miles on 3300 I hit trail 1363.

The elevation is close to 4200 and the trail was still a bit muddy. After going up and down the first two hills, the third hill on 1363 was very soft and muddy and it was a push to the high spot on the loop. It remained muddy and slow going down for about a quarter of a mile. It gradually dried out and my speed increased to the lower part of the ridge. From the mid point down you better have your "A ride" because its an "E" ticket to the bottom. The loop is about 10 miles with about 1600 feet of climbing when you figure in the wasted climb on the high road. As far as the rest of the area I think maybe in a couple of weeks things should be fairly dry. If you come over just expect to get a little muddy.

·
born again
652 Posts
thanks for the report.....

borregokid said:
Yesterday I headed up the Taneum to check the riding out as it looks like all the snow has cleared below 4500 feet. The Ridge Roller ride along with Fish Hook Flats loop are probably the best rides in the Taneum. I parked at the Taneum Junction Campground and met the Ranger who was checking for permits, I was the only biker their along with two motos. Even though its been a mild winter the snow has just cleared and the trails are still wet. I stayed off the "low road 3300" which I figured to be a muddy mess. Riding the high road adds some distance but you avoid the mud which I figure will be there for a long time. After about five miles on 3300 I hit trail 1363.

The elevation is close to 4200 and the trail was still a bit muddy. After going up and down the first two hills, the third hill on 1363 was very soft and muddy and it was a push to the high spot on the loop. It remained muddy and slow going down for about a quarter of a mile. It gradually dried out and my speed increased to the lower part of the ridge. From the mid point down you better have your "A ride" because its an "E" ticket to the bottom. The loop is about 10 miles with about 1600 feet of climbing when you figure in the wasted climb on the high road. As far as the rest of the area I think maybe in a couple of weeks things should be fairly dry. If you come over just expect to get a little muddy.
sounds like the trails are a bit 'sticky' over there yet (love that clayey Taneum soil) but should be dry soon.
Do you think Fishook Flats is free of snow and rideable? Might do that loop this weekend.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is that Fish Hook Flats is probably decent shape, but maybe a little muddy in spots. I would stay off the "low road" . Based on previous experience its almost always muddy and there is a puddle that looks like a pond that has to be crossed. The mud was either in level spots or above 4000 feet on Taneum Ridge.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Now now guys.... We'll get our high country rides in. That's for sure. Still trying to figure out when I can fit a backside West Fork to Sandstone loop in sometime in May. Flowers will be out and the trails won't be dusty yet.
That loop back off the slab around Sandstone Creek is awesome.
Hoping to camp over there the second weekend in June Borrego. If you wanna ride over.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yesterday I ended up walking down the hill it was so muddy-right after the rain and snow. Bob, that would be great if you make it over here again. It doesnt take too long for the trails to dry out. Parts of the Taneum Ridge were already getting dusty. By then the trails should be in pretty good shape. Rat Pac isnt totally wiped out, Mike the guy who built it is coming back and if its possible a work party might be able to do something. Till things dry out a little more I plan on staying in shape on the road bike a bit more. Bob you should hit the Gulch when it comes up. Theres always some strong bikers on that ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.