Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm struggling between a Trance 3 or a VT 2. I can get them at pretty much the same price! (yep, good deal on the VT). I'm mainly concerned about the behaviour of the bike while climbing up the hill. I' ve tried the trance, it's awsome but don't know about the VT. However, the VT will be more fun going down hill, coz a bit more travel. Too painfull!!!!

Cheers,

Nick

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well if you're getting the VT2 for the same price as the Trance 3 I'd say you're definitely getting better components on the VT2 for the money. I've never riden a VT of any kind so I can't say what they're like, I do however have a Trance3 and love how it decends and climbs. Actually I overall just love the bike, the looks, handling etc. One thing to make sure of is that if you go with the T3 you make sure it has the changed BB and not the RF SRX POS that mine came with - had play in under 200 miles - But I think GIANT saw their mistake and have since changed it to a Truvativ BB of hopefully better quality.

In summery I think you'd be getting a steal on the components on the VT2 for the price, but with the Trance you're getting the sweet new Maestro suspension design.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Crazyfrog said:
Hi guys,

I'm struggling between a Trance 3 or a VT 2. I can get them at pretty much the same price! (yep, good deal on the VT). I'm mainly concerned about the behaviour of the bike while climbing up the hill. I' ve tried the trance, it's awsome but don't know about the VT. However, the VT will be more fun going down hill, coz a bit more travel. Too painfull!!!!

Cheers,

Nick
If you're thinking about the Trance or the VT2 have you considered maybe getting a Reign 3. It has the new Maestro suspension. I just recently was lucky enough to get a Reign and i love it. It's a little heavier than the Trance but it makes up for it in the descending department. Regardless I don't think either choice is a bad choice.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Definetly get the trance, my friend got a Giant VT 1 last season and sold it, it was sluggish, not a good climber, and there was pedal bob. I have a trance and I love the low standover height and it climbs VERY well and decends just as well

·
Registered
150 Posts
While I have not riddent the Trace, I have to disagree with the assessment of the VT. I have been riding a VT 1 for 2 years. I find it to be a great climber, and an outstanding downhiller. If there was pedal bob, sluggishness,and poor climbing would all indicate that the suspension was not set up properly. If there is too little air in the SPV and the SPV is not cranked a few turns, I think that would cause the 3 problems described above. Even if poperly set up, it is very possible that there is a damaged O ring in the shock pump (common problem) and the SPV is not filling up properly. I met a guy with a Trance on the trail today, however I smoked the guy up a hill on my VT, even after he had a good headstart on me. Going back downhill, no one was going to touch me! ;-)

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
My VT-2 climbs like a goat. No problem at all. I run higher pressures in my Minute 3 than most people though.

It's a hard decision to make..I would definitely suggest that you ride both of them back to back first..then decide.

R.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
The VT is a great bike and like Rainman said, climbs like a goat. The key is to configure the shock properly.

If I were on that position I would take the newer design.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree the VT climbs great, the rear traction is unbeliveable, the pedal bob is minimal until you stay in the saddle. Out of the saddle the you override the SPV, the bobbing starts. But most of us don't climb out of the saddle for long.
In the other hand the rear end of the VT is really flexible, the Trance or the Reign is much more rigid, and look way better. If you don't need 6" travel choose the Trance.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I dont agree that the rear of the VT is "really" flexible. The tubing back there is pretty beefy. I do wish the push links were a tad more reinforced, but I'd say its similar to a Heckler. Not the stiffest, but serves the purpose well enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts