Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
hardcore on the bunnyhill
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is a couple good lift runs somewhere for lighter trail bikes. My wife wants to accompany me on some runs but doesn't really like to climb forever (not to mention that I'm getting too old and fat to climb myself:rolleyes: ). We have more xc oriented bikes and I've actually never done a lift ride myself. I'm just afraid that most of the trails are going to be full of drops and stunts for you crazy kids and your downhill bikes. Oh by the way, we are in the SLC area. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would suggest riding Sundance. The toughest trail was the loose rocky fire road from the top of the lift that takes you to other trails on the mountain. Most of the trails up there are narrow, packed, windey (sp?), singletrack. We were there on a Sunday and the trails were pretty empty. There were quite a few kids on big squishy downhill bikes, but that seemed more than you needed.

The food is good, and the tourists on the chairlift make for some good people watching.

·
mmm bacon
196 Posts
Deer Valley...maybe

utsnow is correct in the fact that Sundance is pretty mellow, but if you and your wife are comfortable with a different option and intermediate riders Deer Valley has alot more to offer, while Sundance has good trails Deer Valley has trails that are in my humble opinion much better, if you are worried about crowds the majority of trails are well marked and I see many "newbie", never been on a mountain before, bikers on the trails. As for drops and stunts they are few and far between, just read the trail map (all the green, blues and some blacks aspen slalom for example you'll like) and don't go in the direction of the guys/girls covered in armor:D Go slow enjoy the mountain, you can also rent armor if that helps, or and if either feels uncomfortable go take a lesson, everybody needs a tune-up once in a while. See you up there
JK

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sundance is smooth and fairly easy (What, a single little drop on the whole mountain?)...I dragged my GF down there a couple weeks ago (she hates climbing, but not a DH maniac). Only part she had trouble on was the loose fire road right off the lift (There is an easy workaround if you go straight south off the lift). She couldn't understand why people (including myself) were having no problem ripping the loose section on 8 inch bikes, whilst she was having trouble on her little hardtail.

People watching there is, as snowgirl said, entertaining... There seemed to be lots of Germans when I was there. The sandwiches from the deli suck, but what is to be expected at a resort?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
bleu said:
People watching there is, as snowgirl said, entertaining... There seemed to be lots of Germans when I was there. The sandwiches from the deli suck, but what is to be expected at a resort?
wow, I really liked my sandwich the other day. One of the best I've had in years. I also think sundance is much more mello than DV and very fun for intermediate riders and XC oriented folk.

·
hardcore on the bunnyhill
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Except what in the bloody goat-kissin hell is that a picture of?

·
The Sentinel
530 Posts
You might consider Snowbasin, also

Most of the trails at Snowbasin are very gentle. I usually ride my hardtail when I'm up there. They haven't opened for lift service yet, but I expect it will be this weekend or next...they had a little bit of snow left up top last week when I called.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.