Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yep. They've also done a bit of trailwork near the road. The mud has dried up a bit and is now stickier than it is sloppy in most places.

·
Registered
703 Posts
As an old hand at Tamarancho, I urge you to please stay off the trails in wet weather -give Tamarancho a little love. The trail crew can only do so much. There are plenty of areas with a harder trail surface that can shed water and be less affected by traffic of any kind. When it gets wet, I usually ride to the east Peak on Tam. Eldridge Grade sheds water quickly, and there's almost no mud (better for your bike). You get great views & a 2500' climb. Why not try Porcupine trail (legal singletrack) out to San Geronimo Ridge (and beyond). Pine Mtn is beautiful in Winter, and you won't bake climbing out of the "furnace" (the appetite seminar isn't the only day to ride Pine Mtn) There's also the Big Rock trail off Lucas Valley Rd (more legal ST), which gets lots of sun and has 360º views of Marin. Don't believe me? These are the winter routes for all of us that BUILT the Tamarancho trails.

·
Registered
271 Posts
There is also cascade canyon fireroad which is pretty fun in winter. It amazes me how many people go to Fairfax and ride Tamarancho and never venture off the little round circuit!

How about this simple ride: go to tamarancho, go alchemist, then goldman, ride up serpentine, across wagon wheel then go b17 extension. When you get to fire road turn right, keep on going where is goes single track, all the way to the bottom. At the end go under the road bridge turn right and follow fireroad back to whites hill and SFD. When you come out on road turn left and follow road back to fairfax.

Buy a map!

·
Registered
140 Posts
How about this simple ride: go to tamarancho, go alchemist, then goldman, ride up serpentine, across wagon wheel then go b17 extension. When you get to fire road turn right, keep on going where is goes single track, all the way to the bottom. At the end go under the road bridge turn right and follow fireroad back to whites hill and SFD. When you come out on road turn left and follow road back to fairfax.
did this last weekend and it was great, had a buddy show me b-17 extension. I will never to the "normal loop" again. way to much fun. some faster sections on the firetrails, we saw a equestrian let him know a couple of hundred yards we were coming, he said we had gotten our fair share of the trail on us. We shrugged off the statement and rode on to Gestalt and had us a liter before noon. A great ride indeed. Today however I rode some china cramp on the Dominican side and it seemed to drain much better than any part of Tamarancho.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Zodiac said:
There is also cascade canyon fireroad which is pretty fun in winter. It amazes me how many people go to Fairfax and ride Tamarancho and never venture off the little round circuit!

Buy a map!
I just park at the White's hill bridge and ride to b-17 and tamarancho from there. That way, all of the riding is on dirt. Not sure why everyone parks in town and rides the road to the trail. Not to mention, the last mile of the ride is spent riding single track downhill going back down to the bridge.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wet Wet Wet 1/22 - Please Don't Ride Camp This Weekend

We are at total saturation in camp right now, so PLEASE DON'T RIDE TAMARANCHO THIS WEEK!
The trails are gooey, and it's not any fun anyway when you are sliding all over the place.
Alternates: MT TAM drains fast, lots of rock, Headlands as well.
Please give Tamarancho a rest.
:yesnod:

·
Registered
100 Posts
It has dried out some in camp, but it's about to rain again right now, so tomorrow will be wetter. Lots of work has been done in some of the worst areas, but if possible, avoid camp and stay on Mt Tam for the demo rides.
Thanks-Your trail crew.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Adding to the "stay off tamarancho when it is muddy" theme. I rode TAM yesterday and it was freaking EPIC!!!! east peak down to Potrero meadow then rock springs road. Fast flowing fun! As opposed to summertime you can just haul ass on those fireroads right not drainage is perfect!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.