Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the many tire threads, and I feel badly starting a new one. But I'm looking for dry season, relatively light, fast rolling tires specifically for Tamarancho, but that will be pretty decent around Pine Mountain, too, and not shred to nothing when riding a rocky sections (Schwalbes have that tendency in my experience).

I realize how important tires are after I removed my worn, summer tires (Racing Ralph 2.25 rear and Mutano 2.4 front) and replaced them with my winter Nevegals (2.1/2.35). It takes me five more minutes to complete the loop now, and my bike feels like a slug! My previous tires were OK, but the front was worn as it came with my second-hand bike, and the rear RR wore out very quickly. I'm under 150lbs geared up. I'm new to MTB--a year of riding--so I don't know how aggressive my riding is, but my best Kiosk to Kiosk CW time is 46 minutes and I can clear the loop if that matters. It's a FS bike.

I've been thinking a Wolverines 2.2 set or a Mutanos 2.4 set. Or an SB8 for the rear. Maybe a Wolverine rear and a Mutano front? Can anyone with some experience with these tires and Tamarancho please give me some input or point me to other tires? Since Tamo is my backyard loop--the ride I do when I don't have much time--it gets boring if I'm not trying to improve my time. And the Nevegals are so slow it makes riding there a lot less interesting....

Thanks in advance.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Heh...

What PSI do you run the Nevegals?
...does it matter? Nevegals are slow rolling tires at any pressure.

I dunno... how hard do you push your traction? When I was on bitty wheels, I ran Kenda Karmas. The were fast rolling weight weenie tires with reasonably good traction. I rode up there all the time with those tires, and never had an issue. You give up some traction, but gain fast rolling. IMO, more is to be gained with a fast tire out there than shear traction.... if fast lap times are what you after.

I'm liking my Bontrager small knob tires on my 29er. Same kinda thing. I don't tend to push my tires much, but love a good fast roll.

Also, Kenda Slant Six I'm digging lately.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Was there today. First time in over 10years. I just never drive that direction to drive as it's about dead even time wise for either Tamarancho/China Camp vrs. Hole in the Ground....

But I digress, we are here to talk about tires.

I was running a Racing Ralph 29x2.4 at 28psi in the front, and a Trail King 26x2.2UST in the rear at 32psi.
I'm 250lbs, plus a pack, so that's probably fairly low psi for most people, but it works. And works GOOD! I'm plenty happy with the RR in the front, and off the charts happy with that rear Conti tire.

Worked really good climbing up, clockwise, around the park. No slippage on any of the switchbacks, the back tire just drove me right around no problem. We then exited the park and accidentally wound up on some cow path that turned into an amazingly technical fun rough steep rooty bumpy twisty fun filled goodness that used every inch of tread not eh front tire at times to negotiate our way down/through the trail.

Couldn't have been happier with the choice of tires.

*and no, don't even ask for a gps track.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
...does it matter? Nevegals are slow rolling tires at any pressure.
They sure are pigs. But when you're not having to push them along a trail, they sure are nice solid 85%er tires. Good for 85% of your lean, then that point comes they just get a vague feeling about them. But until that point they're rollen like monster truck tires.

·
Single Track Mind
998 Posts
I really like the Bronson 2.3 up front with a Weirwolf 2.3 on the back. Had the Wolverine 2.2 on the rear for a couple rides and had problems with it letting go when I didn't want it too, so I took it off.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mutano 2.4s front and rear

I've run these for the last year on a SS and FS bike, same places, Tamo, Pine Mt, etc. They roll fast, but the low tread won't give as much traction, so you'll need to get used to that. (although you have experience with one up front). You get used to the drift. On the rolling sections of Tamo they fly. You can balance roll/traction with air pressure adjustments.

I haven't had any serious tire shredding, the tread is low so they don't last as long. You can pick them up cheap online, sometimes under $30.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I like my Specialized Captain Control 2Bliss 2.2 front and 2.0 rear (29er). I also had a Fast Trak rear for quite awhile and it was a bit faster rolling but the added traction of the CC is worth it to me. I don't think you need a Nevegal any time of the year around here, even for the harder Pine Mtn and SG ridge climbs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the input.

mtbloco, that sounds like a good year-round combo, but a bit heavy for the dry season when trying to save time. My plan is to try that combo once my current knobbies are toast.

rglsr, did you prefer the Mutanos on the front or back?

anomaly, I have some Fast Trak on the rear of my HT. I like them, but once away from smoother places they don't give much breaking traction. I'll look at the Captains. As to never needing Nevegals here, there are some non fire road trails where you need a bit more bite, and there are some very muddy sections on Pine Mt, like this spot where I got stuck last year. :)

Attachments

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Mutanoraptor 2.4 front and back since they were first available, and the edge knobs tore off after a couple months riding mostly Tamarancho. WTB wouldn't warranty the defective tires. But after a few years they did eventually fix whatever the problem was. They are very long lasting now, roll super easy, they have a nice predictable feeling of side slip on Tamarancho's dusty hardpack. Not too grippy, but much better feel and grip and easier rolling than the Small-Block-Eight.

I tired the SB8 here, but removed them after a couple weeks, they were unpredictable. They must be good some where, maybe SoCal's sand packed trails, but are scary to lean or brake hard here on dusty hardpack.

For the last 3 or 4 years, 650b Neo-moto 2.3's They are too grippy for good feel at Tamarancho, but much more durable for the "growing" rocks there and for much more abrasive conditions. And they roll over rocks easier than Mutano's on 26 inch wheels.

·
Registered
531 Posts
anomaly, I have some Fast Trak on the rear of my HT. I like them, but once away from smoother places they don't give much breaking traction. I'll look at the Captains. As to never needing Nevegals here, there are some non fire road trails where you need a bit more bite, and there are some very muddy sections on Pine Mt, like this spot where I got stuck last year. :)
Oh I'm well aware of those but I bet you would have got just as far with a Captain and saved some time and effort as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.