Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had trouble with the man when riding tamarancho at night? Is it legal?

FYI, apparently the China Camp rangers are cracking down hard now. Night ride = $300 ticket.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It's private land.

So the Man has nothing to do with it.

I don't believe that the gods of Tamarancho have any problem with night riding, as long as you've got your pass.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I was thinking about this the other day... TRCHO would be a GREAT night ride !!!

dirt & beer said:
Has anyone ever had trouble with the man when riding tamarancho at night? Is it legal?

FYI, apparently the China Camp rangers are cracking down hard now. Night ride = $300 ticket.
I've seen plenty of people riding up with lights as I was just finishing almost in the dark- so people must be riding it in the dark... I HIGHLY doubt anyone is patroling that area... It's kind of remote...

Are Rangers really cracking down at China Camp ? I never even see them during the day on week days let alone at NIGHT - I can't imagine..... Camping and riding out there would be fun with a big BBQ and a day and then night ride maybe in the summer ??!?! hmmmmmm

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
Please do not endanger our riding at Tamarancho. If cyclists cause a problem there, they will retract cycling permission. As Brah said, it is private land, and they are under no obligation to let us ride there. As Bikinfoolforlife said, the regulations clearly prohibit night riding there.

It's easier for a private landowner to keep out cyclists than for public parks. Please don't get us shut out.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
You work at Marin Mountain Bikes? Ask some of your fellow employees about night riding spots, might be able to help you out.

Otherwise the only legal mountain biking at night nearby is Marin Headlands (GGNRA).

·
WWYD?
1,604 Posts
All we need is a train of bikes riding through private property at night to get us kicked out. This is Marin County, land of the angry hiker. And there is a man with a dog living in a cabin on the other private property--not the Boy Scouts property--who is very pizzed off at people poaching in the immediate areas. I've met him walking my dog (I live at the bottom of the hill) and he's not friendly, and I'm not lying.

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
johnnyb said:
All we need is a train of bikes riding through private property at night to get us kicked out. This is Marin County, land of the angry hiker. And there is a man with a dog living in a cabin on the other private property--not the Boy Scouts property--who is very pizzed off at people poaching in the immediate areas. I've met him walking my dog (I live at the bottom of the hill) and he's not friendly, and I'm not lying.
Is it a medium sized black dog by chance?

·
WWYD?
1,604 Posts
woof..

velocipus said:
Is it a medium sized black dog by chance?
I don't think its a lab, but a mix. I walk my dog up Iron Springs and sometimes down Goldman or to the bridge at broken dam in the evening after dinner. I was lingering at the junction at the top in the twilight and he drives up in a beat-up blue toyota pickup from the Ghirighelli (?) family area with the dog in the truck cab and said, "My dog is the only dog up here at night... and you should leave". He turns around and goes back up the road with the no bikes sign. He was old, gray and bearded.

I think the best night riding, though probably illegal is in the open space areas. Gotta check the legality of it. I've cruised the Loma Alta area in the early evening in the summer around 9pm no problem. Later, I think the neighbors don't like it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Whatever....

Some old dude with a dog who has nothing to do with the boyscouts I'm sure....

johnnyb said:
I don't think its a lab, but a mix. I walk my dog up Iron Springs and sometimes down Goldman or to the bridge at broken dam in the evening after dinner. I was lingering at the junction at the top in the twilight and he drives up in a beat-up blue toyota pickup from the Ghirighelli (?) family area with the dog in the truck cab and said, "My dog is the only dog up here at night... and you should leave". He turns around and goes back up the road with the no bikes sign. He was old, gray and bearded.

I think the best night riding, though probably illegal is in the open space areas. Gotta check the legality of it. I've cruised the Loma Alta area in the early evening in the summer around 9pm no problem. Later, I think the neighbors don't like it.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
johnnyb said:
Night riding is illegal in open space areas in Marin, my buddy is an open space ranger/manager. GGNRA is currrently only place do do so legally. Please do not mess up our access by riding at night in Marin where you should not.

Also, Boy Scouts used to have a caretaker on site at Tam, though I think this may no longer be the case. Either way, if night riding becomes a problem they will shut it down.

Night riding at CC is an easy bust--they can see your lights halfway up the hill, fer goodness sakes . . . (though I will tell you that they will NEVER bust someone hiking at night . . )

·
WWYD?
1,604 Posts
I guess this thread is about breaking the rules...

jhruth said:
Some old dude with a dog who has nothing to do with the boyscouts I'm sure....
Okay, the old dude is up in the Ghilotti family area, its right next to Tamarancho and that means he MIGHT be able to contact the Boy Scouts easily. I've also seen riders during the day take that fireroad right past the no bikes sign. This is also private land, its says so at the end of Iron Springs road at least twice, once near the bottom by the string of homes and I think at the top of the ridge.

Random Drivel said:
Night riding is illegal in open space areas in Marin, my buddy is an open space ranger/manager. GGNRA is currrently only place do do so legally. Please do not mess up our access by riding at night in Marin where you should not.

Also, Boy Scouts used to have a caretaker on site at Tam, though I think this may no longer be the case. Either way, if night riding becomes a problem they will shut it down.

Night riding at CC is an easy bust--they can see your lights halfway up the hill, fer goodness sakes . . . (though I will tell you that they will NEVER bust someone hiking at night . . )
I thought open space would be illegal.

Anyways this thread is becoming pretty moronic. :skep:

·
Registered
158 Posts
New Scouts Ranger

Random Drivel said:

There is a new ranger at Tamarancho. He lives there 24/7. He is a nice guy. His name is Dana. He has a small dog, and his wife is up there with him. When someone gets hurt, and needs evac, he's the one who gets called (just ask Gary Fischer) If you are up there at night, against the rules, and get hurt, he's gonna have to leave his cozy cabin, and help you...not good. Let's keep the Scouts happy by buying our passes and obeying the rules.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Tamarancho is open until 8pm every evening.

Danny Forer
Tamarancho Bike Coordinator
I respect you and know who you are (your new map is so much better....) and it is naive to ask.........

But I must ask ...... "Are you sure?"

You wouldn't bump a 7 year old thread just to get your 100th post would you?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, I am sure that at this time the trails at Tamarancho close at 8pm. This was confirmed earlier this month in an email between the caretaker at the camp, the scout CEO, and me:

This is the email from Dana Hanley (who is the caretaker at the Camp) and it was copied to Michael Dybeck, who is the Boy Scout CEO. The date is Dec 6, 2014. It was in response to my question about when the camp is closed at night.

Danny Forer
Tamarancho Bike Coordinator

"Danny, several years ago we decided that 8pm was a reasonable time to ask people to off the trails. 8pm gives me a little leverage with night riders being to loud (ghetto blasting) or annoying campers. Thanks Dana"

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well if you guys bring ghetto blasters on night rides you're just asking for it. I'm guessing you guys are playing your awful techno music on them too. The least you could do is play some old school rap like god intended.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just in case anyone reads this old thread throughout; Marin County Open Space has no specific restrictions on night use. The Open Space remains open 24 hours a day. All current regulations still apply of course, which means that most trails are still off limits to bikes.

The "night riding" issue was brought up at a Commission hearing earlier this year with two Commissioners who were concerned about the negative effects of bicycles in the Open Space at night. It was the Parks Director, Linda Dahl who put this issue to rest simply by informing the Commission that a separate, extensive, and expensive environmental study would be required to change any policy on "night use" in the Open Space. So far the issue has not been brought up again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.