Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my best friends/best riding partner from Chico is turning 30 at the end of January. He spends a lot of time here with me riding the North Bay (Annadel, Skyline, Rockville) which he'll actually be here with me riding New Years Day on Skyline. We wanted to change it up and ride Tamarancho and China Camp for his birthday, I'm only 40 minutes away and never done any Marin riding so I'm open to any suggestions. We'd like to do them both in a day, is that easily done? Doesn't seem like its out of the question at all. Tamarancho seems pretty straight forward but I've heard China Camp you have to know where the good places are. Best places to start/park, best place to grab a bite and a drink afterwars? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It's easy to do both. By bike is 30 min road ride away. By car it's about 15 min apart. They are both 1 to 2 hour loops if you follow the main trails. I'd do a double loop of Tamarancho, drive to China Camp. Park at the gate and ride to the Nike site. Once there you can do some exploring. Any of the GPS tracking sites like Strava, Garmin connect or ridewithgps will point you in the right directions. For dinner it all depends on how fancy you are. For beer go to Marin Brewco or Hopmonk in Novato. There's also Moylans but the food is kinda nasty.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I've tried to do both but we start at Tamarancho and never seem to make it past the Iron Springs Brew Pub on the way to China Camp.

G

·
So one of my best friends/best riding partner from Chico is turning 30 at the end of January. He spends a lot of time here with me riding the North Bay (Annadel, Skyline, Rockville) which he'll actually be here with me riding New Years Day on Skyline. We wanted to change it up and ride Tamarancho and China Camp for his birthday, I'm only 40 minutes away and never done any Marin riding so I'm open to any suggestions. We'd like to do them both in a day, is that easily done? Doesn't seem like its out of the question at all. Tamarancho seems pretty straight forward but I've heard China Camp you have to know where the good places are. Best places to start/park, best place to grab a bite and a drink afterwars? Thanks in advance.
Hello,

One could easily do both rides in one day...but, you would be missing all the good stuff if you did that. Not that the "main loop" trails at both places aren't good, there is more than the main loops...legal stuff too:) You said you haven't ridden either location before...I would do two separate rides myself. Anyone else care to comment on this?

·
NedwannaB
12,768 Posts
I would do CC first, then head into Fairfax, get a $5 day pass and ride Tamarancho. Then you can hit Iron Springs, Gestault as Hans mentioned, or? to finish your day.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for the info, much appreciated. I think we might do Tamarancho first since that is the main one we really want to ride then take it from there. Not a huge rush, I think we're actually going to ride 3 days so we'll see what other places we end up at. Passes online or should I head to a bike shop somewhere? Oh and where is the best place to park, Java Hut?

·
NedwannaB
12,768 Posts
Get online or at Sunshine, Fairfax Cyclery. Java Hut lot is prime parking now that grocery store took over. I usually park at Fairfax Cyclery its abit closer to trail.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You could ride both in one day...but here is the thing with China Camp: if you find the good stuff, you tend to end up on pavement... If you stay on the trails , they're now pavement that's colored like dirt. The recent sanitation has really f'ed up China camp.

I would say stay in Fairfax and head up the hill to pine mountain, after riding Tamarancho.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts