Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3201 - 3220 of 3252 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone - back with another (possibly) dumb question. After some steep descending on one of my recent rides, I started thinking about ways to alter the bike’s geometry - specifically a slacker HTA. In my research I came across this:

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/slackerizer-angle-headset.htm

Given my lack of knowledge of headsets, I’m curious if something like this would be possible given my 1 1/8” head tube with a straight steerer-tube, stock fork. For reference, I’m on a 2020 Talon 29 2.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone - back with another (possibly) dumb question. After some steep descending on one of my recent rides, I started thinking about ways to alter the bike’s geometry - specifically a slacker HTA. In my research I came across this:

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/slackerizer-angle-headset.htm

Given my lack of knowledge of headsets, I’m curious if something like this would be possible given my 1 1/8” head tube with a straight steerer-tube, stock fork. For reference, I’m on a 2020 Talon 29 2.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting product. I decided I wanted a slacker HTA as well but my solution was to add 20mm of travel to the Raidon (adjustable using an internal pin) and get 1-degree that way (along with more squish). I looked at changing out the headset but it looks like knocking out the existing internal cups and fitting new ones would be a pain. You do notice the increased BB height with more travel a bit, but overall I prefer the way the bike handles now.

·
Registered
553 Posts
On that page under "select" it gives straight steerer options. You just need to order the right one depending on what size frame you have. The steer tube length is different for each size frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and mountain biking having been a roadie for years and have just picked up a 2020 Talon 1 27.5" (EU Spec). It's a nicely specified bike but the stock wheels / tires seem the weakest part of the package being OEM Maxxis Ardent EXO 2.4". I'd like to go tubeless so what are the best upgrade options for wheels? How successful have people been with converting the stock wheel / tire (it's not labelled TR) to tubeless? Are non-TR rated tires safe when used tubeless? From a road background I wouldn't consider converting a non-tubeless road tire to tubeless because of the higher pressures.
I've bought a Stan's conversion kit so I should have what's required. Is there anything I should look out for when converting?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Just getting back into mtb after a 5 year or so hiatus. I'm 58 and not nearly as aggressive or brave as I once was. I enjoy trails, rock gardens, small drops (12" or so, I guess that's considered small?). Just picked up a small frame 27.5" 2021 Talon 2, couldn't be happier. Put Stamp 1 pedals on it and flat attack sealant, all I've done with it. Did have the shop take just a bit of length off the handlebars, and I will likely have them take a little bit more when I take it in for the break-in tune-up. I would definitely recommend this bike to a beginning mtn biker or someone who considers themselves a "moderate" mtn biker such as myself. Just rode today, and the cheap Suntour fork did fine for me navigating rocks and roots, small drops, etc. Love my new bike!

·
Registered
3 Posts
How was the drivetrain? Microshift said that pulling rates for microshift shifter and shimano one are different. But the talon2 come with this mix matched drive train.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought my son a talon 2 to see if he likes it. I’m impressed with the micro shifter. My fathom has the 1x12 Deoere and I’ve had a issue already..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought my son a talon 2 to see if he likes it. I’m impressed with the micro shifter. My fathom has the 1x12 Deoere and I’ve had a issue already..
Hello!
I have a question for you, since you have access to both bikes. I am currently torn between your bike and a female version of your son's, but not 2, a Liv Tempt 0 (it has 12 speed Deore as well). Do you find your son's bike much "less" bike than your own? In Canada Liv Tempt 0 has a bigger price gap than in the US. In the US buying Fantom 2 as opposed to Liv Tempt 0 would be a no brainer (I honestly don't understand how they justify only $100 difference for 30 mm rims, boost through-axles, and dropper seat post). But in Canada the difference is more significant.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My wife has the liv tempt 2 which is identical to the talon 2 except it has a different saddle and I believe the bars are slightly narrower. I’d get the fathom if your choosing. You get a way better fork,more updated geo,tubeless from the get go,thru axles on both ends. Fathom is a way better choice

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, I am choosing between the two.
What is stopping me in terms of Fathom is the fork. It used to be 120mm. 130 mm feels like an overkill for the riding I am planning. It will mostly be railtrails, light off road. I am transitioning from a road bike (early gravel) with 32 mm tires. I got tired of feeling sore when travelling fast on larger gravel of our local railtrails.
I am looking for more of an adventure bike. I worry that with 130 mm very plush fork I will not be able to keep up with my husband, who rides 26-26 km/h on gravel. I could keep up on my gravel bike, but I felt all beaten up afterwords. The fork felt awesome in the parking lot, but I wonder if having this much sag will slow me down significantly.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yes, I am choosing between the two.
What is stopping me in terms of Fathom is the fork. It used to be 120mm. 130 mm feels like an overkill for the riding I am planning. It will mostly be railtrails, light off road. I am transitioning from a road bike (early gravel) with 32 mm tires. I got tired of feeling sore when travelling fast on larger gravel of our local railtrails.
I am looking for more of an adventure bike. I worry that with 130 mm very plush fork I will not be able to keep up with my husband, who rides 26-26 km/h on gravel. I could keep up on my gravel bike, but I felt all beaten up afterwords. The fork felt awesome in the parking lot, but I wonder if having this much sag will slow me down significantly.
The 130mm travel over 120mm isn't a whole lot and I wouldn't worry about it. Having had a Talon, a month after owning it, I kicked myself in the knuts for not getting the Fathom. The concern with the additional travel would be on climbing. Sag wouldn't have anything to do with keeping up with your hubby on a gravel trail. You will lose some energy if you set your fork sag too much and you get a lot of bobbing but while I have never really found that to be an issue on a properly set sag, you always have the option of locking out the fork or setting it to mid for those flat rides and then opening it up when you hit the trails.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The 130mm travel over 120mm isn't a whole lot and I wouldn't worry about it. Having had a Talon, a month after owning it, I kicked myself in the knuts for not getting the Fathom. The concern with the additional travel would be on climbing. Sag wouldn't have anything to do with keeping up with your hubby on a gravel trail. You will lose some energy if you set your fork sag too much and you get a lot of bobbing but while I have never really found that to be an issue on a properly set sag, you always have the option of locking out the fork or setting it to mid for those flat rides and then opening it up when you hit the trails.
Well, I hope I won't regret it. I picked up Tempt earlier today. In the end, it fits better. I am only 5'1 and a bit. Fathom in size S felt a touch too big.
You can try selling your Talon. They are not really available anywhere. I am sure you can sell it for what you bought it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Well, I hope I won't regret it. I picked up Tempt earlier today. In the end, it fits better. I am only 5'1 and a bit. Fathom in size S felt a touch too big.
You can try selling your Talon. They are not really available anywhere. I am sure you can sell it for what you bought it.
In my opinion, fit trumps everything. Hope you enjoy our new Tempt!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you.
In all honesty, at this point even my Tempt feels big. And it is certainly smaller than Fathom. I am coming from a road bike and this bike feels a beast.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. In the end, you need a bike that fits. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the Talon/Tempt if you aren't an aggressive rider. They are solid XC bikes that should last while.

My GF was the lucky recipient of my Talon hand-me-down. lol

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thank you.
Well, that's the thing. I am not ready for trails, not really. When I am, this can be my daughter's bike.
Sounds like a good plan, but I have no doubt that Tempt will do just fine on trails once you get to the point of wanting to experiment. If you get the addiction and want to go a bit more aggressive, yep, pass that one to your daughter and get something more robust.

In the meantime-- Enjoy!!

3201 - 3220 of 3252 Posts