Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a 20 odd year hiatus from the MTB scene, I've got the bug again. Not sure how much my body can handle and if I'll just end up urban biking so I recently picked up a Talon 1 to test the waters.

I figured I'd install a dropper post so I checked my measurements and picked up a Giant Contact Switch 150mm. Got it on Friday last week and was stoked to install it. I spent about an hour Saurday morning trying to fish the dropper cable through the downtube and up the seat tube. I'd ordered a pickup tool with a little claw at the end to help fish it up but it did not arrive on time. I ended up making a jig using a wire hanger which worked out pretty good actually.

That's when I found out that the stupid welded on water bottle nuts on the inside of the seat tube limits how far I can install the dropper. Fortunately I eye-balled it before physically installing it or I wouldn't be able to refund it due to scuffs etc. I only needed to seat it 1" below the nut. ARGHHH.

If someone happens to be in my position later down the road, if you're 5'10" with a 31" inseam and ride your seat at 37.5" to the saddle rails, you'd probably want to get the 125mm Giant dropper instead or if your 150mm dropper has a 261mm insertion depth to attain your seat height. How disappointing.

Anyone know if Giant uses a caged or cartridge bearing in the Talon 1 headset, is it a taper or straight steerer and what's the inner diameter of the head tube? I was going to put my 2019 Rockshox Recon RL (installed on another bike earlier this year) on it since I started riding with that and figured I'd run that to the ground first. I also have a FSA Orbit MX headset that I was going to use in my old bike (for 34mm head tube) but if that's an upgrade to the factory headset, I'd probably install it while I'm switching forks.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Otay, been mucking around the bike this week taking down measurements so just in case anyone else was looking for dimensions etc.

Headtube diameter: 50mm OD with a 44mm ID

Factory steer tube size: 1 1/8" straight x 8" long (can be upgraded to 1.5" taper with a EX44-40 bottom cup/race)

Bottom Bracket: 73mm with 24mm diameter spindle. Factory installed ProWheel 68/73 PW-BB73+ BB and ProWheel Vortex 175mm crank.

Chainline: approx 50mm for 2x10 or 53mm for 1x10

Front axle: 100mm x 9mm QR

Rear axle: 135mm QR with a 5mm skewer

If you have a 30-31" inseam, max you can fit is a 125mm dropper as long as it is no longer than 400mm. The water bottle bolts will prohibit the dropper from inserting deeper. You will need to seat it approx 1/2" above the water bottle bolt or your dropper will not function properly and YES you can stealth run your dropper cable by sneaking it into the right hand side cable port and fishing it down and up the seat tube. You will need either a long thin rod with a very small hook at the end (clothes hanger works well) or a pickup-tool with a claw end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Otay, been mucking around the bike this week taking down measurements so just in case anyone else was looking for dimensions etc.

Headtube diameter: 50mm OD with a 44mm ID

Factory steer tube size: 1 1/8" straight x 8" long (can be upgraded to 1.5" taper with a EX44-40 bottom cup/race)

Bottom Bracket: 73mm with 24mm diameter spindle. Factory installed ProWheel 68/73 PW-BB73+ BB and ProWheel Vortex 175mm crank.

Chainline: approx 50mm for 2x10 or 53mm for 1x10

Front axle: 100mm x 9mm QR

Rear axle: 135mm QR with a 5mm skewer

If you have a 30-31" inseam, max you can fit is a 125mm dropper as long as it is no longer than 400mm. The water bottle bolts will prohibit the dropper from inserting deeper. You will need to seat it approx 1/2" above the water bottle bolt or your dropper will not function properly and YES you can stealth run your dropper cable by sneaking it into the right hand side cable port and fishing it down and up the seat tube. You will need either a long thin rod with a very small hook at the end (clothes hanger works well) or a pickup-tool with a claw end.
Hey Trinimon,
I took apart my air fork Sr Suntour Raidon and I have three holes from the 100mm mark. Does that mean my fork as a max of 140mm?
Just curious. I thought the internal would look like this one, but mine has 3 holes instead of the 2 in this video.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.