Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Didn't anyone ride one? Cant believe the lack of ride reviews from iBike...really not feeling the love for anyone who was there :nono:

So edit here....Guess I was impatient..good things are coming in so my pologeez to all you great journo's, lbs owners and all who are posting up the ride reports. Thing is its still nothing like the consistent in depth quality that we had with Krob and Tsc....zy......:)

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
kidsuma said:
Didn't anyone ride one? Cant believe the lack of ride reviews from iBike...really not feeling the love for anyone who was there :nono:
Was just thinking the very same thing kidsuma. Not to mention nobody has anything on the new Intense Tracer 29er, this bike IMO has got greatness writen all over it..Hey kidsuma kind da sort da met a friend of yours via a PM last night...CF.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Mike Aswell said:
Search Speedgoat's blog. They have made multiple posts on the Tall Boy.
Good point. Here is the link to their ride report so the OP doesn't have to search for himself:p

sounds like we will here a lot more from them in the near future about that bike.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks boomn...yea I was kinda lazy not to search...I still think the coverage is rubbish...perhaps its just time to get there in person

Hey CF thats kind da not givin much away :)

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
For those impatient ones out there.......

The Santa Cruz Tall Boy is dialed, just like I said on my blurb at Twenty Nine Inches, but here's a bit more detail.........

The frame is beautiful close up. Very clean looking for a DW Link bike, which for the most part look clunky and like an enginerding exercise gone wrong. (Maybe that's just me, but I think most DW Link rigs are just flat out weird and ugly)

The frame has awesome lateral stiffness. No waggle, no wiggle. Just solid in the g-outs and corners taken at speed. Slow techy moves show no signs of front end waggle, which I hate.

Climbing was very good, decscending was excellent as well.

The bike allows you to get out of the saddle and climb without feeling like you are dragging a cinder block behind you. It feels like a bike. Some FS designs feel sluggish in this respect that we rode out there. (Worst of which was the Jamis 650B FS bike)

Suspension was tuned very well. Great front to rear balance, I felt a very slight progression to firmer feel as it went through it's travel. No harsh spike near the end, but just controlled and slightly ramped up near the end of travel with the rear end.

The Fox fork worked well. I am getting more travel out of them this go round. That was true of all the Fox product we rode, and not just this particular bike.

Had a great chat with Mr Ferrentino afterward about the design process and their thoughts on the 29"ers as a whole. They did a ton of R&D and prototyping on this rig, and the work has paid off. This is a very good rig.

.....................and dang expensive!

But I bet it will be a hit and that they sell every one they make. It's a top notch FS 29"er for sure.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
The Santa Cruz Tall Boy is dialed, just like I said on my blurb at Twenty Nine Inches, but here's a bit more detail.........

The frame is beautiful close up. Very clean looking for a DW Link bike, which for the most part look clunky and like an enginerding exercise gone wrong. (Maybe that's just me, but I think most DW Link rigs are just flat out weird and ugly)

The frame has awesome lateral stiffness. No waggle, no wiggle. Just solid in the g-outs and corners taken at speed. Slow techy moves show no signs of front end waggle, which I hate.

Climbing was very good, decscending was excellent as well.

The bike allows you to get out of the saddle and climb without feeling like you are dragging a cinder block behind you. It feels like a bike. Some FS designs feel sluggish in this respect that we rode out there. (Worst of which was the Jamis 650B FS bike)

Suspension was tuned very well. Great front to rear balance, I felt a very slight progression to firmer feel as it went through it's travel. No harsh spike near the end, but just controlled and slightly ramped up near the end of travel with the rear end.

The Fox fork worked well. I am getting more travel out of them this go round. That was true of all the Fox product we rode, and not just this particular bike.

Had a great chat with Mr Ferrentino afterward about the design process and their thoughts on the 29"ers as a whole. They did a ton of R&D and prototyping on this rig, and the work has paid off. This is a very good rig.

.....................and dang expensive!

But I bet it will be a hit and that they sell every one they make. It's a top notch FS 29"er for sure.
Ok GT, so I gotta ask how's the Tallboy climb, corner and descend compared to the Fly 100. I ask because I and I bet alot of other folks are up in the air between these two rides. Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
oy veh!

grrrah said:
Tallboy is DW-link? ummm... :)
if this doesn't expose the inane one (gt) for the complete whacka and e-fraud that he is nothing will. :madman:

how the bloody hell does a 140 kilo blob from the flatlands of woop woop become a mtb guru?

shine on,

tk

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Tall Boy is VPP and I am pretty sure GT knows that. It is unfortunate that DW link has kinda become like saying Kleenex instead of tissue...if ya follow me. I find myself saying the same thing every so often.

Regardless of that, the Tall Boy is really, really good. My absolute fav in the DW/VPP/CVA/whatever alphabet soup of susp designs. You are getting a great bike for the money, even if it is a lot of cash.

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
reydin said:
Ok GT, so I gotta ask how's the Tallboy climb, corner and descend compared to the Fly 100. I ask because I and I bet alot of other folks are up in the air between these two rides. Thanks
Well, I am sure GT will answer that, but I rode both of them so I will put in my small change. I did not really sync with the Fly 100. I actually liked the Rumblefish better, but in any case, I would put the Tall Boy (and the Epic Marathon too for that matter) above the Fly 100. And actually, that really surprises even me.

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
Better wait for this

Ride one of these before you decide. Ready in December
Hydroformed titanium or less expensive USA made aluminum version , both with full carbon rear. Simpler and stiff Horst Link suspension.

Sure the ti costs more than an imported aluminum bike. Lifetime warranty. Easily repaired.

Did I mention hydroformed?

Attachments

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Too bad that Rockstar was not ready for primetime at the Demo days. It would have been great to compare it to the other new offerings. I always liked the Racer X very much, but the new generation of DW/VPP/CVA stuff is putting some mileage on the designs that still need ProPedal to be all that they can be.

The new Rockstar is a real beauty though and I hope it is as good as it looks!

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
Epic Marathon which you liked is also HL.
Titus has been engineering and tweaking HL for many years. They may have it worked out by now. Digs in on the climbs.
Propedal with Boost Valve is good on the bikes I rode.
But typically I ride them open, no problem.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
The Titus and the Santa Cruz look to be aiming at different FS niche's based on how I see them.

The Santa Cruz looks much more trail bike/endurance bike, vs what I've seen of that new Titus - which to my eyes looks like pure XC race bike to me - especially with those tires and wheels shown here. Those Conti's look like overgrown cyclocross tires paired up with those Crank brothers wheels.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks GT...my impatience is placated...sounds like a possible partnership for my Pace 29er 100mm forks hanging on the wall....

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
Agreed

MMcG said:
The Titus and the Santa Cruz look to be aiming at different FS niche's based on how I see them.

Those Conti's look like overgrown cyclocross tires paired up with those Crank brothers wheels.
That's the first thing I told Jeff at Titus. Needs wider tires. Has room for 2.35 at least.
I'll build mine with other wheels/tires.

1 - 20 of 259 Posts