Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer will be my 2nd season with frame. Rode on Mavic C29 crossmax last year. Using same tires (Racing Ralph, 2.2 rear, 2.4 front) and tubeless (2 cups Stans) as last year. Reduced overall bike weight by 284 grams (0.625 lbs.). Not very close to bike season here in Michigan so it will be a while before first run.

Attachments

·
Trail Ninja
6,306 Posts
TFitz said:
***** the bike, that's a damn fine looking shop! Just don't get sawdust in the valve stems....
+1. I spent much more time checking out his workspace than looking at the bike.

·
bike weenie
589 Posts
Good looking build - I'm a bit south of you, but likewise am waiting for things to dry out. Predicting inches of rain this weekend, so looks like it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Quick question - did you happen to weigh the wheels? Curious how close they are to advertised weight.

Thx.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've got 5 rides in on my '11 Epic Comp Carbon 29er with Roval SL wheels. They are pretty incredible. Really snappy acceleration, razor sharp cornering and the ability to change lines quickly is greatly improved. Very happy with them and the bike.

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
Nice shop setup!

pughww said:
The bike weighs 24 lbs. 1 oz. according to the Park Tool digital scale at the LBS.
The frame is a Medium.
And the bike's not too shabby either.:D It's obviously the new wheels are great, curious to your thoughts on the Mavic C29's. I may be able to get a super good deal on a new set that had some cosmetic skuffs around the rotor flange from shipping to lbs. I had the SL's in 26" and they were great.

Thanks in advance.

·
Big Boy
978 Posts
That is a great looking bike man. Im digging the chainring. And, i catch myself watching the wheels everytime somebody rolls by on the rovals, with a quarter of the spokes being red. Very sharp bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mavic Wheel Experiences

Regarding my thoughts on the Mavic wheels: I've had a great experience with the Mavic wheels, very stiff and relatively light. Broke one spoke on the rear wheel after three seasons of riding on them. Never had to true the wheels until the broken spoke. The rear hub does require periodic maintenance to make sure the plastic bushing is clean and lubricated. The maintenance process takes less than 10 minutes. Using I9's on my Air 9. I've had to replace the pawl springs due to corrosion and they needed to be re-trued a couple of times during the break-in period. The I9's are certainly great looking but also require some maintenance efforts. The first picture shows my Mavic collection, the two front wheels are a standard QR and a 20mm through axle (the wheel that has Rock Shox fork lower attached to it). Needed to get a new fork lower with a 28mm end cap interface in order to accommodate the Roval front wheel. Did not weigh the Roval's before I built them up. The second picture shows the re-bead and re-route job for the Nokon's. Couple of last pictures for those of you who like the shop pictures more than the bike pictures. One last major machine purchase, a cnc router system, capable of wood and soft metals. I am dreaming about using the cnc and my developing CAD skills to make custom bike parts in the future. We'll see.

Attachments

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
Again nice shop

pughww said:
Regarding my thoughts on the Mavic wheels: I've had a great experience with the Mavic wheels, very stiff and relatively light. Broke one spoke on the rear wheel after three seasons of riding on them. Never had to true the wheels until the broken spoke. The rear hub does require periodic maintenance to make sure the plastic bushing is clean and lubricated. The maintenance process takes less than 10 minutes. Using I9's on my Air 9. I've had to replace the pawl springs due to corrosion and they needed to be re-trued a couple of times during the break-in period. The I9's are certainly great looking but also require some maintenance efforts. The first picture shows my Mavic collection, the two front wheels are a standard QR and a 20mm through axle (the wheel that has Rock Shox fork lower attached to it). Needed to get a new fork lower with a 28mm end cap interface in order to accommodate the Roval front wheel. Did not weigh the Roval's before I built them up. The second picture shows the re-bead and re-route job for the Nokon's. Couple of last pictures for those of you who like the shop pictures more than the bike pictures. One last major machine purchase, a cnc router system, capable of wood and soft metals. I am dreaming about using the cnc and my developing CAD skills to make custom bike parts in the future. We'll see.
Seeing that you're a Cabinette/Furniture maker you're obviously....how should I say....maticulous?:D and it shows on your bike build.:thumbsup: I was in the bike shop today and got to see those wheels up close on an SWorks Epic 29r that came in. They are beautiful but man they are pricey, whether you buy a complete bike or wheelset.

Thanks for the insight on the C29s too. I'm more then sure they'd be a great dependable set of wheels for my light weight. Just have to get a reasonable price offered for the cosmetic damage to make it worth my while.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.