Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to pull the trigger on a new bike here real soon :) and I've resolved myself to the fact that I'm going to be spending a lot of money:eek: . (So if you plan on throwing out a commentary about that please don't waste your time) I'm going back and forth between a Tallboy and the Moots soft tail 29er. I'll be dong a fair amount of high country riding with lots of rocks and things like that but a fair amount of smooth buff sing also. Anybody have any input that may be helpful in my decision making? Also, My inclanation is to go with 100 mm fork on either bike. I would appreciate any useful insight on this topic as well. Some people feel the Tallboy is a superior machine with the 120 and the Moots has been designed around an 80.
 

·
The Road Warrior
Joined
·
622 Posts
My vote is for the Tallboy. I'm not just a member of the Santa Cruz fanboy club, but an owner, as well. How does that saying go? I think I've got it backwards. Whatever. Get tallboy with 120 and 95 mm adjustable Talas fork and your fork problem is solved. With your rocky riding, I wouldn't want that ybb mini shock thing. What is that, anyways? The moots is titanium, though.
 

·
Trail Junkie
Joined
·
2,210 Posts
I agree with the Tallboy setup w/ 120, It really completes the geometry. As far as creating a shootout between the two....I have no experience with the Moots, but identifiably..it is a softtail, and the Tallboy is a full suspension. 25/80 or 25/100 vs 100/100 or 120/100.

I think softtails are great bikes, and the Moots will probably do everything the Tallboy will do, but not at the same pace or comfort of a true full suspension. The Moots can be built up lighter since it weighs .75lb less. Moots has a lifetime warranty which is great unless you replace your bike every 5-10yrs anyways..and at the rate of new technology, lifetime warranty is more becoming a selling point since it is voided to a second owner.

In the end though, the Tallboy will do everything the Moots will do and more, but if you don't need it to do more..maybe the Moots is the right one for you.

For me, the tallboy has been a blast to ride, and honestly I can look at the rest of the market and tell myself that there is nothing else out there that I would like to be riding more, so right now I am riding my dream bike, and many more will tell you the same thing.
 

·
Slow But Still Pedaling
Joined
·
484 Posts
Are you a carbon or a Ti kind of guy?

Do you need or want custom geometry?

Do you keep your bikes forever or when you get a new one, still keep and ride the old one? (I've got several bikes in the garage and just got back from a quick trip to the grocery store on my 1987 Schwinn Cimarron running the original XT group! That thing has seen some serious abuse. Would I still be riding a carbon frame 24 years later? I doubt it.)
 

·
Trail Junkie
Joined
·
2,210 Posts
JimInSF said:
Are you a carbon or a Ti kind of guy?

Do you need or want custom geometry?

Do you keep your bikes forever or when you get a new one, still keep and ride the old one? (I've got several bikes in the garage and just got back from a quick trip to the grocery store on my 1987 Schwinn Cimarron running the original XT group! That thing has seen some serious abuse. Would I still be riding a carbon frame 24 years later? I doubt it.)
Carbon can take some serious abuse as well....the material is pretty new and long term is still untested, but it does have a higher fatigue life than steel, aluminum, and titanium. So seeing "serious abuse" would be handled perfectly by carbon if taken care of all the same.

If he was looking for custom, it would be without question the Moots.
 

·
Slow But Still Pedaling
Joined
·
484 Posts
Fair enough - in terms of abuse, I've chipped the paint on rocks, dropped it leaned against things, etc. - if I'd done that to a carbon frame, I would be afraid to ride it hard after that. Steel or Ti? No worries.
 

·
bike weenie
Joined
·
589 Posts
jagwood said:
I'm going to pull the trigger on a new bike here real soon :) and I've resolved myself to the fact that I'm going to be spending a lot of money:eek: . (So if you plan on throwing out a commentary about that please don't waste your time) I'm going back and forth between a Tallboy and the Moots soft tail 29er. I'll be dong a fair amount of high country riding with lots of rocks and things like that but a fair amount of smooth buff sing also. Anybody have any input that may be helpful in my decision making? Also, My inclanation is to go with 100 mm fork on either bike. I would appreciate any useful insight on this topic as well. Some people feel the Tallboy is a superior machine with the 120 and the Moots has been designed around an 80.
I found the softtail to have a bit of a pogo effect since the suspension rebound is essentially undamped. I'd go ti hardtail or tallboy (oh - wait a minute, I did and have both)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,784 Posts
Sorry--trying to not come across as incredibly judgemental sounding, but why not try a test ride before spending that kind of money???

You're really talking about two totally different kind of rides here. I think you should spend some time on board these bikes (or something equivalent) before making the plunge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
+1

C88 said:
Sorry--trying to not come across as incredibly judgemental sounding, but why not try a test ride before spending that kind of money???

You're really talking about two totally different kind of rides here. I think you should spend some time on board these bikes (or something equivalent) before making the plunge.
they both cost a pantsload - get out there and ride 'em, then make a decision.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
I love the 100mm fork on my Tallboy, I use my bike exclusively for XC race type trails. I do hit some rocky terrain but IMO the 120 makes the TB feel to trail for my taste.
 

·
holy schfincter..
Joined
·
159 Posts
Tallboy with a monarch shock set at 100mm would be
a good option if you want efficient. Personally I've never cared for the
Proprietary nature of a softtail shock. You would have the bling
Factor of moots though! Ride both, then decide.
 

·
The Road Warrior
Joined
·
622 Posts
1-bar said:
I love the 100mm fork on my Tallboy, I use my bike exclusively for XC race type trails. I do hit some rocky terrain but IMO the 120 makes the TB feel to trail for my taste.
I'll have to post a ride report when I compare the tallboy with the talas at 120 and 95. Seems like people all over the place have different opinions on Tallboy fork lengths... the bike builders all said "you don't want a 100 mm fork" others say the opposite, etc.
 

·
No really, I am that slow
Joined
·
464 Posts
They are completely different bikes. A softtail is really much more comparable to a hardtail that to an FS (I have a softtail, so my opinion is absolutely correct). First ask yourself if you want a hardtail or FS.

If you want a super plush, high quality custom hardtail, get the YBB. If you want 4-5" of travel on a stock carbon bike, get the TB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
I agree with Don. I don't think it's an easy comparison. The YBB is great but it's not gonna offer a true full suspension ride. You mentioned that you wanted to put a 100mm fork on it which makes me think the Moots may not be the bike you're looking for since it's designed around 80mm fork.

I have zero experience with the Tallboy so i'll just comment on Moots: I'm sold on Ti. I ride a MootoX and love it. Mine isn't the YBB and I don't feel like i'm missing out. It feels like the right tool for the job no matter where I find myself...short of some full on down hill gnarl, on which i've never found myself. Moots will last forever. If you beat it up you can send it in and get it refinished and it's practically a new bike again. The YBB can be serviced at home with minimal tools and requires almost zero maintenance. If you wear out the ybb you can replace it for 60 bucks. Want a more solid ride? the ybb can be locked out...truly locked out. Get it with sliders and you have the option of going single speed or gears.

Hope that helps.

Adam
 

·
likes to ride bikes
Joined
·
893 Posts
Moots YBB's shock performance is not rated as being that good. Too bad the Dos Niner is not available right now, it's supposed to be coming back later this year though. The Siren Song is one to look at in the meantime.

Best of both, you say? How about a 4" Titanium softtail from Black Sheep, Funk, or Generic?
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top