Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go to the SC website.....look at the bike builder....weight is based on Medium frame. Add 1/4-1/2 lb. for pedals.
You think that's accurate? I don't see a lot that can be done without changing complete kits to save weight on these bikes. Tubeless? Lighter wheels? I'm a big fan of XT and don't think the weight savings and performance of the XTR group is worth the extra $$$ of the asking price. I like the saddle and would have probably picked the saddle, seat post bars and XT group had I built it from scratch myself. The wheels, tires and stem (I'd have gone Thomson) are really the only things I'd have not picked probably. Not sure what 29er wheels are decently light and still durable for a Cylde??? I like -Maxx wheels, I-9 and maybe Stan's Arch wheels. Advice anyone?

·
Registered
324 Posts
You think that's accurate? I don't see a lot that can be done without changing complete kits to save weight on these bikes. Tubeless? Lighter wheels? I'm a big fan of XT and don't think the weight savings and performance of the XTR group is worth the extra $$$ of the asking price. I like the saddle and would have probably picked the saddle, seat post bars and XT group had I built it from scratch myself. The wheels, tires and stem (I'd have gone Thomson) are really the only things I'd have not picked probably. Not sure what 29er wheels are decently light and still durable for a Cylde??? I like -Maxx wheels, I-9 and maybe Stan's Arch wheels. Advice anyone?
They're not splitting hairs but SC strives to keep the bike builder weights generally accurate as they know cyberspace forumites scrutinize it daily ;)

As in most cases ( and what you just stated) wheel selection generally has most
impact on weight, performance.

I just picked up a used RXC build and thought of doing some immediate upgrades- added my favorite fizik saddle and some spare carbon bars and thompson stem. After taking it out for the first time ~30 miles this past weekend, the 28 lb behemoth was a blast to ride "as-is" and will likely hold off buying any parts, wheels or throwing any more $$ on it until something wears out.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The Bike Builder on the SC website looks to be pretty accurate. It shows 26.42 lbs. for an SPX build with the 120mm fork. I have this same bike, and it weighs 27.14 lbs with XTR trail pedals and heavier WTB Bronson tires (set up tubeless).

I'd love to have the XTR level build, but it wasn't worth the huge price increase to save one pound.

I have a set of Crest wheels with Rocket Ron tires, and these save a little over 1 pound of weight.

If I wanted to save more weight, my next upgrade would probably be an X0 or XTR crankset. Then maybe a lighter cassette when this one wears out (although I think the XT cassette is the best combo of weight, performance, and value). Then maybe a lighter seatpost.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If this is accurate, my Nike should come in around 27lbs stock with Candy SL pedals. I'm like you on the cost per weight/performance savings going to XTR. I like the previous generation XTR cranks and actually like the silver XT cranks better than the newer black ones. Looks to me like the black will look worse with scratches and rub marks. I've had XTR cassettes in the past and personally don't think they last nearly as long as XT. The Crest wheels look good but I think I might be too heavy for those.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My Tallboy RXC kit weighed without pedals about 27.6 lbs. I had a bunch of relatively lightweight parts from my Blur LT (which will be for sale soon) and I swamped them out: Thomson masterpiece seatpost, WBT SLT seat, Easton EC90 (I think) stem, Easton carbon monkeylight bars and candy pedals with Ti spindles.

I then couldn't help myself and bought an XTR cassette and some American Classic wheels and went tubeless with stock tires. It now weighs with pedals 25.5 lbs. I've read the stock wheelset on the SPC kit weight around 1900 grams.

I'm done 'cause if I do anymore my wife is going to kill me.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Yes, I think it is pretty accurate.....close enough to use to quote stock weights.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The stock wheels are probably good choice for a clyde. They are stiff, not too heavy, and durable. A Stan's Flow wheelset is only a hair lighter, but has wider rims, so it's a good choice, but if you already have the stock wheels just use them. I weigh 150-155, and I use the stock wheels for most of my riding. I can ride hard through rock gardens and not worry about them. I have a set of Crest wheels on a hardtail, and I can swap those to the Tallboy for racing.

The Thomson stem isn't that light. It is strong and stiff and well-built, but not the lightest.

I'm trying to decide between the X0 or XTR triple crankset as an upgrade to my SPX kit. Everything else is Shimano XT, so XTR would seem to match the drivetrain better, but the X0 crankset would work fine too. The weight is pretty much the same between the two. The XTR has the cool carbon/titanium middle ring, but I think the X0 actually shifts better, and the X0 provides a 22T granny compared to 24T for the XTR. The black carbon X0 cranks look great on a Tallboy.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the wheels are 1900 grams, that's not as bad as I expected them to be. I would have guessed 2000+ I know the Thomson stem is heavier but worth it to me. That being said, if the stock stem length and rise feels right, ill leave it on there. The standard stem is pretty nice for stock IMO. I may just convert those wheels to tubeless and stick some Rocket Rons on there. I personally wouldn't have picked the tires that come on the bike but the ones on the demo bike I tried out did fine on a summer day after a rain storm.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I weigh 150 lbs, and I'm pretty easy on equipment and can get away with using light wheels. I was thinking of selling the stock Tallboy wheels and buying something lighter, but finally decided to keep them as a strong and stiff set for regular trail riding. The trails I ride have a lot of roots and rocks, and I can ride these hard without worry. I can use my Crest wheels for the occasions when I race.

I sold the Crossmark tires immediately. I could tell they wouldn't be aggressive enough for me. I prefer a tire with bigger knobs, and I'm willing to have more rolling resistance if it gives me better grip. I replaced them with some WTB Bronsons, which I just mounted and haven't had a chance to try out yet. I have some Rocket Rons on the Crest wheels. They are very light and have good grip, but I worry about the lack of durability and the sidewalls leak like a sieve. I had a really tough time getting them to seal up tubeless, and they still lose air pressure fairly quickly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What's your frame size? I've got an XL LT Tallboy w/ as much carbon as possible i.e. 2012 XTR everything, etc. and it comes in < 29 lbs. If money's not an issue - look into the Easton Haven Carbon Wheel set. They're pretty proud of these bad boys and the sticker price validates my claim. $1250 per wheel. However, they come w/ a (2) yr warranty i.e. I called Easton and spoke to a Rep and they said " if a UFO lands on earth and smash your wheels in the process - they'll replace them - no questions asked for (2) yrs. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.