Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What shock do you prefer and why? Getting a XL frame and weighing in at a portly 240ish, plans to be at 230 by mid summer. Did not get a shock from SC, will have it pushed.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
I got the RP-23, but I should've gotten the Monarch. The RP-23 is a bit firm for me.

I had to run the pressure at almost my weight. I'd find out if the Monarch is higher volume/lower pressure. If so, get that so you won't have to run so close to max pressure.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Got the Monarch on my Large.....have been pretty happy with it. I find that I am having to run my body weight on it.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
If both shocks are requiring the same pressure, then the RP23 would be better. My only complaint is I think it has too much compression damping, but you have over 60 pounds on me, so it aught to be about right.

·
Registered
777 Posts
dapozer said:
What shock do you prefer and why? Getting a XL frame and weighing in at a portly 240ish, plans to be at 230 by mid summer. Did not get a shock from SC, will have it pushed.
I am Very Happy with the Fox RP-23 BV on my S/C BlurLT2-A and BlurLT2-carbon... :thumbsup: So when I got my TallBoy... I went with the Fox RP-23 BV... I guess its what you like...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
@dam said:
I got the RP-23, but I should've gotten the Monarch. The RP-23 is a bit firm for me.

I had to run the pressure at almost my weight. I'd find out if the Monarch is higher volume/lower pressure. If so, get that so you won't have to run so close to max pressure.
Your observation is contrary to what most people say about the Monarch. I don't have any experience with the Monarch but many have said it offers a better platform (read: lockout) and better for XC riding. I find the RP23 too soft for my liking and I want more compression dampening and more platform.

To the OP, you need to find a shop to see which one you like better because everyone has a different take on the TB. The TB is used in so many different riding conditions from full trail to full XC race and that reflects in their needs/preferences for the bike.

·
Registered
777 Posts
indyfab25 said:
Well, the Monarch will likely have to go back to Sram a couple of times if that means anything to you. Mine did...
Bro... Not the first time, I have heard that about the Monarch... Plus, I read something about RS saying there was problems with the Monarch... And its now fixed... I can say this about the Fox Float RP-23 = 2009... Note came on my Intense Tracer Vpp, And the Fox Float RP-23 BV that came on my 2010 S/C BlurLT2-A & carbon... No problems with them at all... I am ALL SET WITH THE DOWN TIME- :madman: because of a bad part that needs to be sent back to the company that made it... We all know it takes some time... :sad: :sad: :sad:

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I am riding the TB with the Monarch RT3...They replaced the 3.3 with the RT3 mid-2010. The difference I feel compared to a RP23 is that the RP23 is more plush, but almost requires propedal to help some efficiency..especially if its pretty plush and smooth. The RT3 seems to carry a little bit more initial platform that is actually more noticable over the RP23 on climbs.

I think its fair to dismiss all the comments about having to send the RS's. I have yet to hear about anyone sending RT3s back, I think the Monarch 3.3s are in the past, and any problems that they had were corrected with the RT3.

This is just my observation, and ofcourse others may differ.

·
Registered
777 Posts
dubdryver said:
I am riding the TB with the Monarch RT3...They replaced the 3.3 with the RT3 mid-2010. The difference I feel compared to a RP23 is that the RP23 is more plush, but almost requires propedal to help some efficiency..especially if its pretty plush and smooth. The RT3 seems to carry a little bit more initial platform that is actually more noticable over the RP23 on climbs.

I think its fair to dismiss all the comments about having to send the RS's. I have yet to hear about anyone sending RT3s back, I think the Monarch 3.3s are in the past, and any problems that they had were corrected with the RT3.

This is just my observation, and ofcourse others may differ.
Cool... More info for the OP... For me its a No brainer... Got the set ups with the Fox Float RP-23 down... Note- My S/C TB will be my third bike with a Fox Float RP-23 BV on it... Had Great Luck with them... So its Fox Shocks front and rear on my MTB bikes... :D P.S To the OP... If you can, test ride TB's with RS or a Fox and see which one you like better...

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
Not to hijack too much, but what ever happened to Manitou shocks? I have a Swinger on my Blur and it's great. It replaced a 5th element. I think they both have ball-joints instead of busings, which means the only stress on the shock is compression. Smart idea.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I need to make some calls, I had a rt-3 on the blur and a rp23 on a rz120. Didn't really notice too much difference when they were set up right. I do run the rear a little stiffer than required. The front will get a carbon 110 lefty I just need to match the rear. So excited for this build.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just built my TB up and it came with the rp23. Not enough miles to tell yet but sure it will do fine. I've only had and used rock shox forks and shocks on my 26 and did not have any problems with SID Fork ,Reba Fork and Ario2,2 shock. I may have spec'd my TB with Rock Shox again but did not want a "White" Reba 29r Fork on my Black carbon fiber TB . I know its a lame reason but why is everyone just makin effing white forks how bout giving folks a choice of different flavor lowers. Sram has different flavor components, I9wheels are flavored ,Crank Bros etc. First fork company to offer different flavored anodized fork lowers will probably sell a ton of them. Im sure my new TB will be awesome with Fox shocks and forks. Im easily amused sometimes

·
Registered
359 Posts
mteez said:
Just built my TB up and it came with the rp23. Not enough miles to tell yet but sure it will do fine. I've only had and used rock shox forks and shocks on my 26 and did not have any problems with SID Fork ,Reba Fork and Ario2,2 shock. I may have spec'd my TB with Rock Shox again but did not want a "White" Reba 29r Fork on my Black carbon fiber TB . I know its a lame reason but why is everyone just makin effing white forks how bout giving folks a choice of different flavor lowers. Sram has different flavor components, I9wheels are flavored ,Crank Bros etc. First fork company to offer different flavored anodized fork lowers will probably sell a ton of them. Im sure my new TB will be awesome with Fox shocks and forks. Im easily amused sometimes
Magnesium fork lowers are not suitable for colored anodizing, I think white brothers uses AL lowers(that could be anodized), but I'm not 100% on that one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.