Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
orthonormal
Joined
·
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the new bike itch and I've been looking around locally and online at Tallboys. It looks like Colorado Cyclist has really good prices on custom builds (under $4900 with an X.0 kit and King/Crest wheelset) compared to the stock SC build kits (same price everywhere I look) or custom builds elsewhere.

Any other places I should check out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
C.C. probaby a reliable web retailer, but just be aware that those package prices on the splash pages don't generally include the fork. When you go through the bike builder within the package, the last choice you make is the fork and ta-da, back to prices pretty close to elsewhere. Still probably some savings involved on the high end builds, but weigh that against LBS support down the road. Any ways... GO FOR IT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
My local shop didn't have what I wanted so I've ordered SC bikes from CC and they are pretty competitively priced but the biggest thing with them is they have some amazingly good wheel builders there. I've been completely happy with them.
That said, I'm a fan of keeping your money local if possible. SC regulates what their vendors can sell for so you aren't going to save that much by going with CC so you may as well make nice with your LBS; it will pay off next time you need something from them if they are a half way decent shop. You can always ask them to match the price and see if you like their reaction. If they act like big jerks then maybe it's not the shop for you. It's not like you are buying a $500 bike, it's a $5k bike so there is some room for negotiation.
 

·
Never Satisfied...
Joined
·
629 Posts
photodog said:
I've ordered SC bikes from CC and they are pretty competitively priced but the biggest thing with them is they have some amazingly good wheel builders there. I've been completely happy with them.
That said, I'm a fan of keeping your money local if possible. SC regulates what their vendors can sell for so you aren't going to save much by going with CC so you may as well make nice with your LBS; it will pay off next time you need something from them if they are a half way decent shop.
I agree 110%....

:thumbsup:
 

·
or die try'n
Joined
·
112 Posts
Got mine on sale at The Bike Company.

Santa Cruz was offering a 15% discount if I bought within a week of one of their scheduled demo days. I did. I got yhe XT build kit complete bike for about $4050 plus tax. It came with the 3 x 10 xt drivetrain, and the new DT350 hubs paired to the Mavic TN-719 rims are outstanding. Most of the other parts are top notch also. Carbon bars, Thompson post, Silverado Seat, FOX 120 tapered 15 mm fork. Save your money on this version over the XTR version and you can purchase alot of lighter accessories with the savings. BTW, I swapped my TN-719 rims straight across for the Stans Crest to save 280 grams. Big mistake, I now regret. Should have gone with the Arch or kept the Mavics. The Crest is great in the Front but super flimsy in the Rear. Don't trust it at all at the high speeds this Tallboy can fly. Also I ditched the Avids after two weeks, too grabby, not enough modulation and squealing like a stuck pig. Used my non spent XTR fund to upgrade to the Magura Marta's, SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I just un boxed my tallboy today from colorado cyclist. Ups right to my door. did a med. orange with full xo, hope hubs, db black spokes, niner carbon bar, masterpiece post, xtr pedals, easton stem, stans 355 rims, ignitor tires, fox 100 fork, king headset. the bike is sweet. good prices and good service. no one local to buy from so I went mail order. I like keeping money local but there was no local service to be had.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
The new Reba is stiffer than the Fox especially in the tapered version. I've had several of both in the thru axle form and have gone with the Reba XX's on both of my 29ers because of the stiffness. For some reason Fox didn't think of make the crown much bigger on the tapered version while Rock Shox too good advantage of it with a much larger crown.

F29s mid and big hit action is better but Reba 29 is stiffer and more supple.
 

·
SS Pusher Man
Joined
·
7,623 Posts
getjohn said:
Sorry about your choice on the Reba! The Tallboy deserves the Fox, not a flexy noodle.
Say what?????? :confused:

I find both my Reba Team 120 and my Reba RLT Ti 120 to be far from a flexy noodle....and I am 210-220 with my pack. :thumbsup:

And I am not running tapered on either fork.
 

·
The Road Warrior
Joined
·
622 Posts
Nice. Just do me a favor and don't order the XXL in orange from Colorado Cyclist. I'm ordering mine on Sunday, and if you take it before I do, I'll have to kill you (and take your bike).

All BS'ing aside, I have shopped around quite a bit and found that Colorado Cyclist has the lowest price of any retailer online. Plus, you can custom create your wheelset, unlike a lot of the other eshops. If you don't feel like going through Colorado Cyclist, then check out Competitive Cyclist and ask them to price match (they won't completely price match, but it's within reason). If you don't like either of those, give Red Barn Bikes a try. Chad is a good guy, there, who will take care of you.

For what it's worth, on the fork issue, I'm running a Reba XX (remote lockout) on my redline HT 29er right now, and I always keep the lockout on. It doesn't fully lockout, like you might think. Instead, it just firms it up. Without the lockout on, it's way too supple. Like ridiculously supple. I've got it pumped up to equivalent PSI recommendations for a 200 pound person, which I'm not (about 185-190), and it sucks. I hope that the Fox Talas 29 Terralogic is going to blow this reba outta the water. Reba sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
unklesocks said:
$2500 for the complete bike? Where?
that's about what my friend paid for the same bike/build kit. backcountry.com usually has discount codes available, and he used one last year.

my LBS gives me great deals on SC bikes, but i am a long-term customer.
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
mtnbikej said:
Say what?????? :confused:

I find both my Reba Team 120 and my Reba RLT Ti 120 to be far from a flexy noodle....and I am 210-220 with my pack. :thumbsup:

And I am not running tapered on either fork.
Gotta agree.

Although I'm comparing a standard axle non-tapered 100mm Fox to a 20mm Maxle tapered 120mm Reba, I found the Reba crushed the Fox in terms of stiffness.

I love it on my Tallboy.



 

·
orthonormal
Joined
·
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LandSpeed said:
Nice. Just do me a favor and don't order the XXL in orange from Colorado Cyclist. I'm ordering mine on Sunday, and if you take it before I do, I'll have to kill you (and take your bike).

All BS'ing aside, I have shopped around quite a bit and found that Colorado Cyclist has the lowest price of any retailer online. Plus, you can custom create your wheelset, unlike a lot of the other eshops. If you don't feel like going through Colorado Cyclist, then check out Competitive Cyclist and ask them to price match (they won't completely price match, but it's within reason). If you don't like either of those, give Red Barn Bikes a try. Chad is a good guy, there, who will take care of you.

For what it's worth, on the fork issue, I'm running a Reba XX (remote lockout) on my redline HT 29er right now, and I always keep the lockout on. It doesn't fully lockout, like you might think. Instead, it just firms it up. Without the lockout on, it's way too supple. Like ridiculously supple. I've got it pumped up to equivalent PSI recommendations for a 200 pound person, which I'm not (about 185-190), and it sucks. I hope that the Fox Talas 29 Terralogic is going to blow this reba outta the water. Reba sucks.
'm 5'10" so your XXL is safe from my grubby paws. I bought my last bike from Chad, a Ventana El Commandante in 2005. It's still going strong and I have an 80mm Reba on it. It's an older model but has given me no trouble.

I do have a decent local shop and will go through them if they can come within, say 10% of what I can get elsewhere but i'm not going to spend an extra grand if that's what it comes down to.

At this point, i'm a bit torn between the Tallboy and Blur XC. I'm also waiting to see what Sherwood does with the Ventana redesigns (El Ray or El Saltamontes). I'd also like to throw a leg over the new RM Element 70 MSL. With 6 years under my belt, i'm completely sold on bigger wheels for my singlespeeding needs but i'm hoping for the chance to make some comparisons before going that way for FS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
bikespearo said:
I think retail is only $3599 on the Santa Cruz site.
That's with a Reba fork and Monarch shock. The combo I quoted with Fox is listed for $4261 on the SC site before tax. Total with CA (8.75%) tax would be $4634 vs. LBS $4000. Around 15% off. Seems like a decent discount. Am I wrong?
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top