Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few different reviews of the Tallboy, and it looks like some people are running the rear axle at 10 mm. This is a pretty simple conversion for me, since I'm running hope pro II's, but it will cost around 100 bucks to convert both of my wheelsets (I've got one for street training, the other for dirt riding). The question is, is it worth it? It has stans flows on it, and I'm pushing 190. Here's a picture of the conversion kit from Hope, it looks pretty burly:

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Have you noticed any flex that you can directly indentify it being the axles? I am about 180 so close to your weight. I have not noticed any flex off of the rear except when I brush into corners where I can't get enough vertical lean. Have you noticed tire rub in turns? That is also a sign of something stressing in the rear.

If you did do the conversion, I would only do it to your trail wheels. Road riding doesn't create enough lateral force...especially on a FS which would exhibit bob before it would flex. On road, you would see flex in the BB and headtube/front axle before you would see it on the rear wheel.

If you do notice flex, maybe it is the wheelbuild and not the axles? something to consider..

·
Registered
176 Posts
I normally run 10mm with a DT Swiss RWS axle on my bikes, but I've been running QR on my Tallboy no problem. I think the rear triangle is pretty stiff, but I'm 165lbs.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
LandSpeed said:
I have read a few different reviews of the Tallboy, and it looks like some people are running the rear axle at 10 mm. This is a pretty simple conversion for me, since I'm running hope pro II's, but it will cost around 100 bucks to convert both of my wheelsets (I've got one for street training, the other for dirt riding). The question is, is it worth it? It has stans flows on it, and I'm pushing 190. Here's a picture of the conversion kit from Hope, it looks pretty burly:

You already have a 10mm rear axle.
With standard open dropouts you will notice little difference going to a 10mm through bolt.

Save your money and just get a steel bolt on skewer.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
10 mm thru bolt....

........I like it better , at least the Hadley version which should be similar ! :) TIG.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I run one and really like it....plus one for the Bling factor!!

·
SS Pusher Man
7,621 Posts
I run regular QR on my Tallboy, I don't notice any flex and I am 210-215 lbs. and a masher.

I run the Hope w/ 10mm bolts on my El Mariachi, but again, don't notice any flex.....

I ran the Hope's on my Heckler w/ 10mm bolts and it did stiffen up the rear end a bit, but not a day and night difference.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I wish my TB came with a 142+ rear axle but that's only because Iike the format better than QR. I don't have any rear end flex and I'm using the standard RWS skewer.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I don't look at things the same way as most here.

Most are happy with what you can get away with, yes you can get away with the STD qr setup.

But I just look at it like, Is the std qr setup the best system you can run on the tallboy & I think most (but not all ) would say that it is not.

The tallboy is not a cheap bike so why would you want to cut corners here ????

I guess it doesn't matter anyway its not like it holds the wheel on or something important like that !!!!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
muzzanic said:
I don't look at things the same way as most here.

Most are happy with what you can get away with, yes you can get away with the STD qr setup.

But I just look at it like, Is the std qr setup the best system you can run on the tallboy & I think most (but not all ) would say that it is not.

The tallboy is not a cheap bike so why would you want to cut corners here ????

I guess it doesn't matter anyway its not like it holds the wheel on or something important like that !!!!
I do think a standard high quality QR skewer and hub is the best setup for open dropout frames.
Easy to use, reliable, and about as stiff as you can get with the dropout design.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am not sure if it needed it or not, but I have the 10mm RWS on mine. I am 215 on a good day so I thought it would not hurt. I got a heck of a deal on the conversion kit, plus adds a little bling, so why not.

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
westwood said:
I am not sure if it needed it or not, but I have the 10mm RWS on mine. I am 215 on a good day so I thought it would not hurt. I got a heck of a deal on the conversion kit, plus adds a little bling, so why not.
Are you from Westwood? I know a guy named Sherwood, so maybe it's your name. I ask because I live in Westwood.

I went ahead and ordered the conversion directly from hope, and got wholesale the wholesale price. The woman who helped me was really friendly. I'm in the middle of tracking down a 10 mm rear thru bolt from Hadley http://www.balleracing.com/Hadley/Hadley10mmAxle.htm and will probably end up just getting it directly from Hadley (they're kind of local, in the 909 area code/Upland). The price on that DT Swiss DWS 10 mm skewer is a little high, and since I need two of them (I've got two dedicated road and mountain wheelsets), I don't want to be out that much cash.

·
Registered
131 Posts
LandSpeed said:
Are you from Westwood? I know a guy named Sherwood, so maybe it's your name. I ask because I live in Westwood.

No, not from Westwood, it is my last name. I did not capitalize it so I could be kewl like grown men wearing skinny jeans.

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
westwood said:
LandSpeed said:

No, not from Westwood, it is my last name. I did not capitalize it so I could be kewl like grown men wearing skinny jeans.
Just don't start riding a fixie

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
LandSpeed said:

I went ahead and ordered the conversion directly from hope, and got wholesale the wholesale price. The woman who helped me was really friendly. I'm in the middle of tracking down a 10 mm rear thru bolt from Hadley http://www.balleracing.com/Hadley/Hadley10mmAxle.htm and will probably end up just getting it directly from Hadley (they're kind of local, in the 909 area code/Upland). The price on that DT Swiss DWS 10 mm skewer is a little high, and since I need two of them (I've got two dedicated road and mountain wheelsets), I don't want to be out that much cash.
Using a 10mm through bolt in one wheel set does not prevent you from using another with a standard QR axle/skewer in the same frame.

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shiggy said:
Using a 10mm through bolt in one wheel set does not prevent you from using another with a standard QR axle/skewer in the same frame.
Can you guys start a Tallboy forum? I see q's on Tallboys all the time. I'm only half-kidding

·
or die try'n
112 Posts
Did anyone really answer the question? I DO feel flex in the rear end of my Tallboy, and I HAVE had my rear tire flex to the left and rub the frame. I was also considering this upgrade and will probably just do it anyway and see for myself. That is all.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
getjohn said:
Did anyone really answer the question? I DO feel flex in the rear end of my Tallboy, and I HAVE had my rear tire flex to the left and rub the frame. I was also considering this upgrade and will probably just do it anyway and see for myself. That is all.
Like Shiggy said, a good QR skewer is close to as strong as a 10mm bolt, the problem is that many don't start with a good skewer (i.e. a Shimano skewer)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts