Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6'3", 250, probably 260 with gear. East Coast roots and rocks, lots of up/down meandering trails, not a jumper, but like to push my intermediate skills.

I have demo'd the TB twice and really liked it. Hightower was not available to demo.

Tallboy was active and fun, but took some concentration to go fast on rough downs. I assume th HT will be less active, less picky going down and a little more work going up?

I know both are being revised, but would appreciate feedback from larger folks who have owned/ridden both of the current bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Great point. Pedaling and going up are important as I am better going down.

Do you notice a big difference in the playfulness and maneuverability between them? Other than travel, they look pretty close on paper, but can't really tell without riding both.

I have both bikes. Tallboy pedals and climbs a bit better, Hightower is much better down.

Both are great, just different.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If a Tallboy is on your radar, just be aware that there's a new one coming pretty soon - mid August is the current best speculation. Not to dissuade you from getting a current one, it would just be a shame if you were to do that without knowing that a revised model was almost here.

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
The new Tallboy will be close to the outgoing Hightower in spec... just guessing since that is the direction SC is taking everything.

I am a clyde (bigger than you) and I replaced my 2013 Spec Camber with a 2018 Hightower CC (bought the frame and built it). The bike is wicked compared to the Camber and is a bit more capable than the Tallboy. The HT climbs amazingly well compared to my Camber (I cannot imagine how well the Tallboy climbs) because the HT just rolls and climbs without ever seeming to lose momentum.

There is nothing out about the new HT and how well it works for clydes. The old one works very well. The Tallboy works very well. For my style of riding and types of trails, the new HT may be too "progressive." That said, for me (personally), I would either snag the old version of the HT on clearance or wait for the new Tallboy. $0.02

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks.

Great point. Pedaling and going up are important as I am better going down.

Do you notice a big difference in the playfulness and maneuverability between them? Other than travel, they look pretty close on paper, but can't really tell without riding both.
The tallboy is a bit more agile and feels shorter.

The Hightower is still plenty agile though.

They are both great but if I could keep only one it would be the Hightower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.