Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time I got a new bike I read that VPP is really difficult to set up and dial in for heavier riders.

I’m currently considering a Pivot 429 Trail or a Ripley v4 but I’ve always had a soft spot for Santa Cruz bikes and want to revisit the topic as it’s been 4-5 years. Can any 200+ riders comment on current model VPP bikes? Only if you’ve ridden modern DW link, I’m not interested in how good a 2019 VPP bike compares to a 2009 Stumpjumper you know :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
i weight almost 230 pounds and owner of a Tallboy 3 and Hightower LT honestly i love this bikes, after a year i discovered my love for enduro/soft downhill and sold my TB3 and bought a HT, like i said before, this bikes are the best on the market, plus life time warranty. VPP in my case is something to enjoy every riding on my local enduro trails and xc.

·
Registered
213 Posts
220lb and no complaints on the VPP.
I also own a Tracer and previously a niner Jet9rdo.
I found the Hightower super easy to setup and get it close to dialed in on one ride.
The tracer took a while to dial.

In the end, I think the 200+ on a hightower is a non-issue.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm 235 and I've got a 5010. I don't think it was hard to setup. I run pressures lower than what is suggested online and I run my rebound very slow. If you are concerned, I'd rent a shockwiz and use that to get dialed in.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I'm a big fella at 270lbs and have broken all sorts of stuff in my years riding. I was happily riding a 2015 Tallboy for two seasons until my mass and power made waste of the rear swingarm interface (flexed the rear too much). SC stepped up big time and said that more then likely I will continue to have issues with the smaller bearings and rear swingarm design of the tallboy. So they replaced my aluminum TB with a 2019 HT due to the larger bearings, increased axle sizes, and more robust swingarm.

I spoke with Avalanche Racing prior to the swap as I didn't want to be on a high leverage ratio bike. Avalanche thought the HT with the variable leverage ratio would work out, and tuning a Fox DPS would provide an excellent riding bike for my size. I had a Avy tuned float on my TB2 and really liked how it rode higher in the travel over tougher rooty climbs.

I only have a couple rides on the HT, but so far I feel a lot more confident climbing with the HT. The rear end feels more planted and gets over the roots well w/o wollowing too low in the travel.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I've heard there's a new Hightower on the horizon in the next month or so, might have to wait to see what that's about.
If the geometry is the similar to the new Megatower then it should be fantastic. I'm 6'5" and felt that the Hightower LT was 'big enough' but the Megatower fits perfectly.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the geometry is the similar to the new Megatower then it should be fantastic. I'm 6'5" and felt that the Hightower LT was 'big enough' but the Megatower fits perfectly.
110-130mm is about all the travel I need. Some trails would benefit from 150-160 but for the vast majority of what I ride it would be overkill. So I'm looking at the Tallboy, Hightower (non-LT), Ripley, Pivot 429 Trail, Yeti SB100/130...

My road and CX bikes are 640-650 in stack so I don't want to go any lower than 630 on mtb. Being tall really limits what you can ride...

·
Registered
213 Posts
110-130mm is about all the travel I need. Some trails would benefit from 150-160 but for the vast majority of what I ride it would be overkill. So I'm looking at the Tallboy, Hightower (non-LT), Ripley, Pivot 429 Trail, Yeti SB100/130...

My road and CX bikes are 640-650 in stack so I don't want to go any lower than 630 on mtb. Being tall really limits what you can ride...
Get riser bars, don't cut your steerer tube too short, etc...
I agree it is hard to nail a fit right out of the box and it is also difficult to make the bike "look" perfect and fit perfect.
I run a 20mm rise bar on my hightower and it gets me where I want to be. I do the same with my Tracer. On my Rigid, I run a jones bar with 2.5" rise as well.
Do they look the coolest? Nope, but riding them setup correctly is more fun than incorrectly.

BTW - I also agree "just enough suspension" is better than too much. I ride a hightower with 130 on all the local trails and it has never felt like too much. I also ride my 160mm Tracer on the same trails and while fun when the bike is pointed down, it is more work everywhere else and after 3 hours I can feel it.

Good Luck finding the perfect bike - but if you don't - experiment with fit and get it sorted to your liking.

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
280 riding my new Hightower and loving it. Easier to dial in than my 2013 Spec Camber was and rides much better as well (even though you said not to say that).

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An XL (as opposed to XXL) Hightower should fit me if an Evil Following V1 fights me, right?

623 stack, 475 reach on the HT, 617 stack/457 reach on the Following. The Following is a HAIR small, but workable. There's just sooo many XL Hightowers for sale but XXL's are hard to find.

·
Registered
17 Posts
An XL (as opposed to XXL) Hightower should fit me if an Evil Following V1 fights me, right?

623 stack, 475 reach on the HT, 617 stack/457 reach on the Following. The Following is a HAIR small, but workable. There's just sooo many XL Hightowers for sale but XXL's are hard to find.
How tall are you? At 6'5" I got the XXL OGHT and its the first bike I've owned that actually fits me. Of course a lot depends on your specific body type and if you are a little shorter you are probably on the fence of an XL and XXL. One thing I will say about the XXL is aside from the STA it closely matches reach and stack numbers of the modern geo XL trail bikes (SB130, Ripmo, etc.). For me because I have much longer legs and a short upper body, I am able to slam the seat forward to achieve a steeper STA while maintaining a proper top tube length which makes the bike closer to the modern geo that has become common.

Another difference between XL and XXL will be how it feels on the trail. If you really are in between, an XL will be more playful while the XXL will be more stable and want to plow.

Regarding suspension setup, at 220 I have had no issues but don't have a lot to compare that to so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Whats the verdict?

I have a similar question and I can't tell for sure that the original question was answered. For a taller heavier riders (230-250 lbs) is a Santa Cruz Tallboy (current 2019 model) going to work?

I can't figure out if I should go for a Tallboy or regular Hightower. It sounds like one fella (jonshonda) tried to ride the Tallboy but it would up not working. I'm looking at the standard C model.

·
TRANCER
2,782 Posts
I'm 5'11" and 215 to 225 geared up. Took me a couple of weeks to get the rear suspension set up right. Someone on here recommended I use the orange spacer that comes in the variety pack and I haven't looked back since. Total game changer if you ask me. Love the curve it provides on the end stroke. I was bottoming out my rear shock on small drops like 2-3 feet with the recommended air pressure or sag that Santa Cruz had listed. I should mention that my bike came stock with the yellow spacer in the shock.

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
I'm 5'11" and 215 to 225 geared up. Took me a couple of weeks to get the rear suspension set up right. Someone on here recommended I use the orange spacer that comes in the variety pack and I haven't looked back since. Total game changer if you ask me. Love the curve it provides on the end stroke. I was bottoming out my rear shock on small drops like 2-3 feet with the recommended air pressure or sag that Santa Cruz had listed. I should mention that my bike came stock with the yellow spacer in the shock.
Happy it worked out for you. :) Biohazard is right though... changing the volume spacer in the rear shock makes the Hightower amazing for bigger riders. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a similar question and I can't tell for sure that the original question was answered. For a taller heavier riders (230-250 lbs) is a Santa Cruz Tallboy (current 2019 model) going to work?
I'm 6'2" and have ridden at 225lbs though I'm down from that a bit now.

I don't have the current models, but I have an original Tallboy, a Tallboy LT and a High Tower LT.

IMHO, If you are Clydesdale size you really want the Fox 36 and a rear triangle with the vertical pieces on both sides if you are doing anything rocky/technical. The High Tower LT with those features is noticeably stiffer than the two Tallboys. Even when I don't need the extra travel for, say fire road rides, I'll most often ride the High Tower as it just tracks better up hill and down due to the extra stiffness. Unless/until I lose 20lbs efficiency isn't a realistic consideration.

·
Registered
155 Posts

I can't figure out if I should go for a Tallboy or regular Hightower. It sounds like one fella (jonshonda) tried to ride the Tallboy but it would up not working. I'm looking at the standard C model.
Rumor is 2020 Tallboy should be announced this month. I think mentioned in the other thread. It was also said it's going to be beefed up a bit and more like the OG HT so you may want to wait and see...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am 6’3 260 and have really enjoyed my Hightower. Depending on your body type I would think an xxl would be the way to go and adjust the cockpit to your preferences. I ended up with an mrp ramp cartridge in my pike. Allowed me to keep decent small bump sensitivity and not bottom out. Definitely need some volume spacers in the rear depending on which shock you’re on and how hard you ride.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.