Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know 2 totally different bikes. I've had a Super Light and a heckler, then I got an Intense Spider 2 and really like the VPP 2. Sold the intense to my buddy and I'm looking for something light like the intense/superlight for mostly XC duties that can crush fast paced descents. No drops bigger than 2-3 feet. The most tech stuff would be steep extended descents with large rocks

It would never be raced XC but would do a few endurance events (50-100 milers) but mostly long rides with some fun downhill sections (black mountain, Kitsuma etc.) I do like beating my friends on the way up and downhills. the intense had a 68 degree HA with the float 140 I had up front and I kept it at the 5" setting in the back. Pedaled great and descended very, very well. Just a little flexy though in the rear. The stiffness of the new frames plus the tapered HS seem really nice

So here's the dilemma, Tallboy with 120 or LTc with a 150 up front. They'll come in around the same weight. 2 different beasties? I believe someone on here said they ride their TB like their Heckler. People seem really keen on the 100 in the front of the TB. anyone riding it with the 120, how's it climb on steep stuff?

I know the LTc is going to be a sick bike, anyone else in this conundrum? I'll be able to demo the tallboy in the SPX build and f29 100 for a few days next week. Hope it warms up.

Any feedback would be really appreciated, Thanks

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
Just got my Tallboy in. I was suppose to get a 100mm fork but it came from Santa Cruz (via Speedgoat) with a 120mm. It's a full Sram XX build with King wheels and came out to 25.1 lbs in large. I have been on 29er wheels for 7-8 years and love them. It sounds like for your riding style and intent, the 150mm fork on the LTc would be overkill. Endurance races also lend themselves to the 29er format. A response from Santa Cruz about the 120mm fork said that for general riding most of their guys are riding the Tallboy with the 120mm fork and like it that way. You can see my bike at the Speedgoat.com website and look at recent builds about 6-7 down (orange Tallboy). Both would be nice bikes for sure.

velez3000 said:
I know 2 totally different bikes. I've had a Super Light and a heckler, then I got an Intense Spider 2 and really like the VPP 2. Sold the intense to my buddy and I'm looking for something light like the intense/superlight for mostly XC duties that can crush fast paced descents. No drops bigger than 2-3 feet. The most tech stuff would be steep extended descents with large rocks

It would never be raced XC but would do a few endurance events (50-100 milers) but mostly long rides with some fun downhill sections (black mountain, Kitsuma etc.) I do like beating my friends on the way up and downhills. the intense had a 68 degree HA with the float 140 I had up front and I kept it at the 5" setting in the back. Pedaled great and descended very, very well. Just a little flexy though in the rear. The stiffness of the new frames plus the tapered HS seem really nice

So here's the dilemma, Tallboy with 120 or LTc with a 150 up front. They'll come in around the same weight. 2 different beasties? I believe someone on here said they ride their TB like their Heckler. People seem really keen on the 100 in the front of the TB. anyone riding it with the 120, how's it climb on steep stuff?

I know the LTc is going to be a sick bike, anyone else in this conundrum? I'll be able to demo the tallboy in the SPX build and f29 100 for a few days next week. Hope it warms up.

Any feedback would be really appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome bike

Your bike is insanely nice! Get's me excited about what's around the corner.

Reason i'd go with the 150 on the LTc would be that I like having the 68 degree HA. I got almost the full 140 out of the float rlc I had on the spider 2 on some of our nastier trails so the extra 10mm won't hurt

I did endurance eventswith the spider 2 and the 140 was never to steep for extended climbing, guess i could look at a talas 150 for the LTC if i ever needed to go 130 for very steep long climbs

I just sent out my tallboy and LTc builds for pricing and the TB build is very similar to yours. XX drivetrain, stans crest/240's, easton cockpit etc.

Question, hows the race king up front? I put down a mntn king 2.4 up front and RK in the back but am curious how the RK does up front

Are the XX brakes quiet?

And here's the dumb 29er newb question. the 120 up front on the TB should put the HA right about 70. Is 70 degrees on a 29er the same as on a 26" bike?

I notice that 29er's seem to have steeper HA's so was wondering if 70 on a 29er is comparable to a slacker (68-69) HA on a 26" bike

Thanks for the help and advise and my apologies for turning the SC forum into 29er ville

Thanks

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
velez3000 said:
Your bike is insanely nice! Get's me excited about what's around the corner.

Reason i'd go with the 150 on the LTc would be that I like having the 68 degree HA. I got almost the full 140 out of the float rlc I had on the spider 2 on some of our nastier trails so the extra 10mm won't hurt

I did endurance eventswith the spider 2 and the 140 was never to steep for extended climbing, guess i could look at a talas 150 for the LTC if i ever needed to go 130 for very steep long climbs

I just sent out my tallboy and LTc builds for pricing and the TB build is very similar to yours. XX drivetrain, stans crest/240's, easton cockpit etc.

Question, hows the race king up front? I put down a mntn king 2.4 up front and RK in the back but am curious how the RK does up front

Are the XX brakes quiet?

And here's the dumb 29er newb question. the 120 up front on the TB should put the HA right about 70. Is 70 degrees on a 29er the same as on a 26" bike?

I notice that 29er's seem to have steeper HA's so was wondering if 70 on a 29er is comparable to a slacker (68-69) HA on a 26" bike

Thanks for the help and advise and my apologies for turning the SC forum into 29er ville

Thanks
I have had a Heckler(w/ Float 36) for over a year and a half. I built up my Tallboy(Reba 120mm) at the beginning of November. I have not touched the Heckler since.

I find that I ride my Tallboy just like my Heckler, even though it has 2" less travel.

I have not found that the HA on the Tallboy being too steep.

I had thought about selling the Heckler and building a BLTc before they announced the Tallboy. Right now I am glad that I did not.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's the one

Yep it was your post mntnbikej that I was referring to. Thanks for the real world info on the HA and comparison. Your bike is sweet. Really torn between the black and orange

I know it's a new bike and not sure how many folks are stuck between wheel formats. I'm kind of leaning 29'er to try something new.

you see a 70 degree HA and it doesn't sound too confidence inspiring on steep nasty stuff but there's videos on the SC blog of the TB handling itself very well in tech and your feedback is appreciated

Anyone else out there kind of stuck between the TB and the LTc (or any other 5 inch trail bike?)

Can't wait to demo the TB, just waiting for the weather to warm up. I know, I'm a wimp but we've been lucky to get out of the high 20's in North Georgia this week :eek:

I see pics of folks doing ice rides, riding in the teens etc. and it hurts me

·
Registered
152 Posts
IBIKEAZ said:
You can see my bike at the Speedgoat.com website and look at recent builds about 6-7 down (orange Tallboy). Both would be nice bikes for sure.
Very nice and almost exactly what I am looking at. Do you have any feedback on the XX 2x10? Also, I did not see the XX option on the Speedgoat site, did you have to call them to order it that way?

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
429 Posts
mtnbikej said:
I have had a Heckler(w/ Float 36) for over a year and a half. I built up my Tallboy(Reba 120mm) at the beginning of November. I have not touched the Heckler since.

I find that I ride my Tallboy just like my Heckler, even though it has 2" less travel.

I have not found that the HA on the Tallboy being too steep.

I had thought about selling the Heckler and building a BLTc before they announced the Tallboy. Right now I am glad that I did not.
I don't know J..... you never broke your leg on the other bikes! :nono: Now you have to sit and look at your beauty while the leg heals... BTW, congrats on getting out of there alive!

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
mtber3737 said:
I don't know J..... you never broke your leg on the other bikes! :nono: Now you have to sit and look at your beauty while the leg heals... BTW, congrats on getting out of there alive!
SHHHHHHHH......I don't want to give it a complex.

Thnks
J

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
packfill said:
i didn't think the tallboy was compatible with XX cranks. what's the story???
Initially when SRAM had thier prototype XX cranks they were with larger chainrings.....30/45 etc.......these did not fit the frame. SRAM now has smaller ring combinations 26/27t. They are also offering them in a wider Q-Factor. So they are now compatible:

Per the SC Website FAQ's:

Is the new Sram XX group compatible with this frame?

Yes, but you must use the standard Q-factor version of the cranks (166mm). There is chainring clearance with the 26/39 tooth and 28/42 tooth chainring sets, but the 30/45 will most likely have interference issues.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just demoed the TB with a 120 fork and fell in Love with it. I honestly cant believe not only how light this bike is for a 29er but how stiff the carbon is. Unless your doing some serious xc racing the 120 fork makes the bike a blast to ride. I literally ordered one right after the demo.

I've demoed a lot of 29er's (all FS Fisher models, Pivot, Niner Jet) unfortunately not the RIP. Big difference in my mind is weight (RIP avg build 29-30lbs),rear sus (longer travel) and price. Niner bikes are dialed but trust me SC did there home work.

Someone posted they lived in N. GA. Hit up Todd at Reality Bikes in Cumming, GA. He's got a SC TB for Demo with the 120 fork.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Todd's the man! Sounds like your going to get demo the same bike. Look forward to hearing your impressions. Finally get rid of the rain and now we cant get past the blistering cold weather.

LOL yeah the small blocks I guess they are part of the stock SC TB pkg, I know when I ordered my bike Todd was cool with exchanging any part.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
dpastore22 said:
Todd's the man! Sounds like your going to get demo the same bike. Look forward to hearing your impressions. Finally get rid of the rain and now we cant get past the blistering cold weather.

LOL yeah the small blocks I guess they are part of the stock SC TB pkg, I know when I ordered my bike Todd was cool with exchanging any part.
Yes, the SB8's are part of the TB packages...but they work well out here is So. Cal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just ordered a TB from Speedgoat with the sram X.O package. The XX was another grand. I have been riding a custom Ti single speed 29er for a couple of seasons. Looking to do some endurance races on the TB. Did extensive research for about six months. For me, the TB is the way to go hands down.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
LeonD said:
I'm torn between the TB and the Niner RIP9. I haven't seen any comparisons yet between the two.

LeonD
I own an 09' RIP. It's a great bike at a very good price of $1799 compared to the Tallboy at $2200-$2300 depending on shock. The RIP comes with a 3 pound weight penalty but on the trails it's not really felt. It's a solid trail bike that pedal/feels VERY much like VPP.

I am keeping mine and turning it into a Tahoe/Downieville/Ashland/Whistler trail bike and the Tallboy I have on order will get all the hotrod parts. My RIP is 28 pounds so I expect the Tallboy to be 25 pounds. Can't wait........ :)

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I rode an XT demo in XL size with a 90mm, 15 degree stem (it wasn't stock) and a 100mm Fox fork. That bike handled pretty quick.

For my bike I plan on using a 100mm, 6 degree stem and my 120mm Fox fork. It should be perfect for me, a lot like my RIP9.

Can't wait for mid-Jan, almost there !!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Have you considered the LTc with a Talas fork? I have a LT (non carbon) with 140mm talas fork and could not imagine running my fork at 140mm for an endurance ride. Climbing is so much easier when I am at 100 or 120mm.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.