Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was building up a tallboy recently. I was expecting it to be about 28.5 pounds maximum, but when I had it weighed the scale read 30.12. Do you guys know the reasons for this. Maybe a junky scale, manufactrurers lieing about their weight,etc. The parts I will post down below. Replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

frame-alloy tallboy 1 xl
wheels-stans arch ex laced to xt hubs
F tire-maxxis ardent lust 29x2.25
R tire-maxxis ikon exc 3c 29x2.2
cranks-xt
cassete-xt
rear derailur-xt long cage shadow plus
shifter-xt
chain ring-race face narrow wide 34 tooth(1x10 drivetrain)
brake calipers-xt ice tech
brake levers-xt ice tech
brake rotors-slx ice tech 180mm
seatpost-ritchey comp 400mm
saddle-charge spoon chromo rails
fork-rochshox recon gold tk 120mm
headset-cane creek 4
stem-easton haven 50mm
handle bars-answer pro taper
grips-gp1 biokork

All of the xt part are recent models.

·
ACHOO
4,497 Posts
As a reference, where did your 28.5 lb expectation come from? Was it a posted weight that might not have included pedals? (Although I don't see pedals in your list anyway.)

In terms of smaller stuff, reflectors and bottle cages can add a little bit, and might not be included in an "official weight" put forward by the mfg. These are getting into much smaller weights tho.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the replies. I weighed it on a better new scale and it weighed 28.35 pounds with the ardent lust. It should be under 28 with the new ikon that's coming in a couple of days. I can post pics if you guys want to see it

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sweet! I thought your weight at 30 sounded reasonable, but I'm no weight watcher so I guess I'm a little out of touch.

I'm in the process of accumulating parts for an XL carbon build (original version of the frame) and it's going to be more of a trail build that can hold up to some abuse. I'm hoping it will come in under 29 lbs. Still haven't decided on rims or tires yet; wtb i23, flow, or maybe light bicycle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.