Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Tallboy and have run it in both long and short configurations. I've found there is a subtle difference, but nothing game changing. In the short setting I can feel that it's slightly easier to lift the front, but not by much. I also have no problem keeping the front down on steep climbs. It's definitely a bit quicker to maneuver, but it's not like the long setting is slow. The long setting seems to hold a line better, although sometimes maybe too planted. I haven't noticed any difference in going over rough stuff, keeping front wheel grip when cornering, or on small jumps. I ride a medium frame and read that people on XL or XXL frames tend to use the long setting, but what about average/shorter riders?

Just curious what you run and why? Is it that different to you and what specific quality made you go short vs. long?

· Registered
1,595 Posts
Makes the shock feel more supple w the added leverage ratio

· Registered
1,818 Posts
I run my large Megatower in the short setting. This is only because I have a Cascade link which pushes out the rear axle 5mm no matter what. So in the end, I'm in the short setting but still 5mm longer than stock. I don't think I ever really noticed a difference going from long to short when I didn't have the link.

· Registered
237 Posts
I have a XXL Mega with Cascade link. I had only ridden in the long setting but recently tried out short and I think I like it better. I haven’t noticed any downsides on high speed or fast corners but it feels more maneuverable. The bike is snappier and pushes through tight corners easier with less setup and body movement. I don’t think I will be switching back.

· Registered
171 Posts
I ride my 5010 in high. I sent it back for the recall and they set it in low when they put it back together. The only difference I noticed was more pedal strikes. I rode it for a few weeks before I just happened to notice it was on low while washing my bike.

· Registered
5,285 Posts
I'm on a XXL and run it in the long position. Bike feels better balanced, more front end traction and corners more intuitively. I also felt like the front came up to easily on steep climbs.

However, they got rid of the chainstay flip chip for 2022 so it's a non-issue going forward. Got ditched so they can use the Sram universal derailleur hanger.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a XXL Mega with Cascade link. I had only ridden in the long setting but recently tried out short and I think I like it better. I haven't noticed any downsides on high speed or fast corners but it feels more maneuverable. The bike is snappier and pushes through tight corners easier with less setup and body movement. I don't think I will be switching back.
Emphasis mine. And this might be the one quality that makes my decision. I don't feel the long setting is too slow or that it can't take tight corners, but I agree that the short setting just makes those things a little better/easier.

· Registered
5,285 Posts
Emphasis mine. And this might be the one quality that makes my decision. I don't feel the long setting is too slow or that it can't take tight corners, but I agree that the short setting just makes those things a little better/easier.
Personally I feel that after I got used to the longer setting the bike corners easier. The only exception being corners that are so tight and slow I have to steer (instead of lean) the bike through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.