Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering upgrading my old Fox to a Cane Creek DB air or Inline... Any opinions/experiences will be appreciated.

Thx

·
Registered
289 Posts
To summarize the several hundred threads on this topic: do it. The performance of the stock CTD pales in comparison to those shocks. I went the Monarch+ route and it is also a big upgrade, but having ridden a CCDB on the same bike I would go that way if I could do it again.

·
No Clue Crew
7,174 Posts
For VPP bikes, the best shock upgrade I ever did was sending my stocker off to Avalanche for a custom tune. IME, far superior to the CCDB shock in this particular application.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just ordered a Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair for my LTc. Santa Cruz and my LBS both recommended it, if for some reason I'm not happy I'll get a CC dbair or inline.

If you're over 200lbs, try running the stock Fox in descent mode and up the air pressure to about 30psi greater than your weight. That really helped mine come alive on the LTc. Still left a few things less than ideal which is why I ordered the Monarch.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is simply an upgrade in technology. After riding my frame with new tech last weekend I decided it was worth the expense.

·
Registered
594 Posts
What's the neg input on the oem CTD??

As LB412 stated, most of us are upgrading in technology to fill in the gaps the CTD leaves.

The CTD can be tuned for small stuff or big stuff. If you tune it for small stuff you blow through the travel on big stuff. If you tune it for big stuff, it becomes rough on small stuff. I finally found a way to tune for mid stuff, but it leaves a bit to be desired on small stuff... I'm willing to bet 90+% of people won't care or notice, especially if coming from an HT. If you want a shock to do everything, you need to upgrade. If you have the Factory CTD you can have it push or avalanche tuned, or you can replace from CC or Rockshox. If you have the Evolution CTD, no aftermarket tuning is available. The 2016 Fox stuff is getting great reviews, so that can be considered as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Avalanche does the Evo now, and as I understand it, it's not just a "tune". They replace the internals with their setup so you might consider it a tech upgrade also.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Avalanche does the Evo now, and as I understand it, it's not just a "tune". They replace the internals with their setup so you might consider it a tech upgrade also.
Interesting and thumbs up if they do. I could only find on their site was boost valve equipped Fox CTDs, which the Evo does not have I'm told... If Avalanche does the Evo CTDs that would be an option as well then. I've moved passed the Fox CTD shocks personally, but hopefully it helps someone else.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Not sure why you would post this in the 29er forum, as a shock is not wheel size specific. I have a CC Inline, after years on various Fox air shocks. It really is in a different class, but I also hear amazing things about Avalanche. Avalanche is probably the cheaper option as well.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
2016 Float DPS is pretty damn nice. Have one on my LTc, but can't compare to the CC as I have never ridden one. With my new shock, I now definitely notice the limitations of my 2014 Fox 34.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Did you buy the DPS after market or is SC installing them on the LTc? I'm in the market for the LTc and was going to wait until (hopefully) SC puts the DPS on the LTc this summer.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I swapped out my Float Factory CTD for a Manitou McLeod shock. So far (approximately 2 months of riding and little over 100 miles) the shock has been incredible, great compliance across the board, ramp up on bigger hits is pretty linear from what I can tell (no sudden increase in platform, just gradual increase) and the small bump compliance and mid stroke stuff seems very good. I am not a seasoned FS rider (first FS and coming off riding a steel HT for 4yrs) so my judgement is a bit skewed I am sure but for me the price is incredible and the shock has impressed me on how well it keeps traction.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Rev Bubba, I bought the DPS after market. However, you can always ask your shop to swap out the CTD even if you have to pay a small upcharge. I wouldn't waste prime riding season not riding the LTc-- It is so much fun!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
GMM: Thanks, I'll talk to them next week when the shop is putting on a SC factory demo day. I know the owner is not keen on swapping out parts he could/would then be stuck with. The price of the bike is the best I've found and I really like the shop so, in this case, waiting a month for the 2016 kits SC says is coming in July (I can't buy until June for reasons I've gone into elsewhere) may be the best option.

I also want to demo the 5010 & Bronson just in case they blow me away. At 5k+, keeping an open mind makes sense.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts