Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am riding a demo this weekend and there is a ton of pedal bob on this bike. I was really surprised based on reviews of this bike. I have tried the yeti SB 95c and that bike climbed much better and was faster overall when pedaling.

I really like the feel of the tallboy and was wondering if anyone else has noticed sluggish climbing performance with this bike. I am planning on messing with the RP23 some today and tomorrow to see if I can get it dialed in a bit more. For reference I am a bigger guy weighing 215 lbs.

Just looking for some general feedback as this bike seems to be reviewed comparable to the Yeti pretty consistently.

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Just looking for some general feedback as this bike seems to be reviewed comparable to the Yeti pretty consistently.
I've ridden the LT quite a bit. Love that bike. Was really close to buying one but changed direction the last minute and bought a Bronson. I also rode Mag 7 one day on the SB 95c. I thought the SB pedaled really well. The I learned how much travel it had. Didn't feel like it at all. Totally different feeling bikes. Much prefer the LT personally as the SB felt more like a classic XC bike. That being said, I still thought the LT pedaled pretty well for what it is.

Not sure if that answers your question :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback, that does help. I adjusted the rebound and added some air up to 200 psi and the bike felt much better. It did feel a bit sluggish compared to the yeti still, but the demo does have a chain guide so not sure if that is added some drag. This bike does rip downhill....will be getting a little longer and diverse ride in tomorrow. Going to keep playing with rebound and air pressure and see how it goes.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have an LTc and I spent several hours on a SB-95 carbon. I agree they ride like two diff. bikes. The LT needs some sue. platform IMO. On mine I run the shock in the middle pos. mine is 0-1-2. The LT for me was much more forgiving and smoother on rocky trails than the 95. The 95 was firmer when climbing but felt like it had less travel, more XC isn. Both good bikes.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
As a general rule for SC bikes, they are very sensitive to shock pressures, in my experience. Properly setting the sag makes an enormous difference. The bike climbs particularly poorly when under-inflated (i.e., too much sag).

Note: Based on 3 years with a BlurLT. Different bike, yes, but same suspension design.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
OP: what do you mean by "sluggish"...too soft a suspension setup and no platform for climbing, or can't turn in the switchbacks? The RP is a craptastic shock. If you end up w/ this bike, go up to at least a Monarch+, or if you got the coin, the CCDBa CS...I've heard nothing but good about that unit. I have this bike and I personally don't go for platform, so much so I'm going coil to get a more active rear (X-Fusion HLR coil), w/ a set of needle bearing hardware AND spring thrust bearing.
As for turning, I've slacked mine out to 67* and it's still okay...IMO.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OP: what do you mean by "sluggish"...too soft a suspension setup and no platform for climbing, or can't turn in the switchbacks? The RP is a craptastic shock. If you end up w/ this bike, go up to at least a Monarch+, or if you got the coin, the CCDBa CS...I've heard nothing but good about that unit. I have this bike and I personally don't go for platform, so much so I'm going coil to get a more active rear (X-Fusion HLR coil), w/ a set of needle bearing hardware AND spring thrust bearing.
As for turning, I've slacked mine out to 67* and it's still okay...IMO.
No problem with switchbacks and handling the bike is great.....it just didn't accelerate when pedaling like the Yeti did, but felt really solid going downhill. It just blows through everything. For how big the bike is it felt great through corners and I could put it anywhere I wanted.

I am riding the Yeti again tomorrow so I can compare them back to back. I really do like this bike if I lived in Moab I would get this bike over the Yeti for sure, but living on the Front Range I do a lot of long rides and have been pushing a 33+ pound 575 around for over 6 years. I am leaning towards something that pedals more efficiently over downhill performance this time around.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I had the same impression as you doing a demo of LTc. Demoed Bronson and solo which were super stable with no bob. I think SC changed the design of the VPP on the latest generation bikes, and TBLT may be the previous generation VPP that bobbed quite a bit (like the blur LT2). An example for the suspension change would be Tallboy standard 1 and 2. I may be wrong about that, but the difference between the Bronson and TBLT felt significant.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have an LTc and a TB2 and the acceleration/firmness under pedaling for the TB2 is def. better than the LTc. I also owned a TB1 for 2 years and the TB2 is firmer and more linear. Some of this could be the lighter weight and shorter wheelbase of the TB2. I don't think the LTc is a poor climber but it helps to run some platform in the shock IMO.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you run 12-15mm sag I bet you it would pedal much better. Santa Cruz's general guidelines for air pressure is to run 10lbs less of air pressure than what you weigh. So say you weigh 215, factor in the fluxuation of your weight and the gear you put on when you ride (helmet, water bottle, hydration pack, etc.) now your 215 is 220. I run 185 psi and I weight 190 geared up and get 12mm sag, rp23 set at 0 and get no zero bob. Long story short don't go off charts actually measure your sag right before you head out for your ride geared up and adjust accordingly. Best of luck!

·
50 states in my 50s
2,825 Posts
but living on the Front Range I do a lot of long rides and have been pushing a 33+ pound 575 around for over 6 years. I am leaning towards something that pedals more efficiently over downhill performance this time around.
As another front ranger I ride my TB LTc over similar terrain. Yes the bike is not the best climber but it's not bad either. I not the best climber either so I took a bike that rails the descents and it doesn't disappoint there.

I actually ride a lot of cross country (S Boulder trails, Centennial Cone etc) and it rides well. As quick as say a Turner Czar - probably not - but you choose your battles.

In the chunkier high terrain trails the bike is just a dream. I do feel it's weight over my previous bike (29lbs vs 25lbs) but it's a whole lot more capable.

If your preference is towards downhill performance I don't think you'll be disappointed in the LTc.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
TwoTone, I know that's what the experts say, but my experience with my LTc is that the performance increased noticeably when I focused on the pressure (standard Float) instead of sag. Obviously, they are related. But I found just going with my bike weight as the pressure did wonders for the pedaling performance. I'm 180 lbs all geared up with camelback.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ive just had a warranty done on my fox shock...RP23 kashima. prior this it was 100% sound with no issues on pedal BOB. Now i have pedal Bob, i use the full travel for no reason, ive increased SAG by 10psi and the climb function is no different to trail..WTF. anyway suspension has a lot to do with it, i think the wankers at fox, south africa, have adjusted the lock out force which has send everything off. ive been in touch it needs to be sorted out.

suspension is everything and the LTc is the best pedal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.