Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a med frame and a 120mm fork. I think it handles great in twisty single track, but have never ridden a Tallboy with a 100mm fork to compare. I figured I can always reduce the travel on the 120mm fork but not vice-versa.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
I have a f29 100 15qr rlc and love it.

That said, if I were starting from scratch - get the new 29er Talas fork and problem solved.

I also MIGHT consider a lefty with the new tapered steerer options.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,621 Posts
Get a 120mm........run it at 120mm for a while, then change it down to 100mm and see what YOU like best.

·
Mmmmmm Beer!
617 Posts
I have been running mine at 100mm for a few weeks and over all it's fine. With that being said I think I will have it bumped to 120mm. I am not a racer and the extra travel will slow the handling down a bit. My last bike was a Seven and the Tallboy steers quicker. I think it's the short chain stays.

·
Registered
94 Posts
CPATCRASH said:
I have been running mine at 100mm for a few weeks and over all it's fine. With that being said I think I will have it bumped to 120mm. I am not a racer and the extra travel will slow the handling down a bit. My last bike was a Seven and the Tallboy steers quicker. I think it's the short chain stays.
That's interesting, because I think the opposite way. After 3 years with a Intense Spider29 I bought a XL-Tallboy with F29-120mm fork. After first 300 miles I think, that I'll reduce fork travel to 100mm. The Tallboy isn't as twitchy and it doesn't climb as good as the Spider29 (which I really loved). Have a look on the following picture and you'll see what I mean.

According manufacturer factsheets, both bikes should have a seatangle of 73° but you can see a real difference.

Both seats and both handlebars are on same level over ground.

Santa Cruz write on their Webpage: The Tallboy is a Long Haul Trucker. Yes, they're right!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ customfab

Let me know how that works out with the medium and 120mm when correct headset arrives. Thx!

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
teamdicky said:
Can't stop staring....
Me to:thumbsup: I have seen bikes with a lock out for up hill but that switch would be better:thumbsup:

Although it would depend on if the switch was on the Right hand or Left hand side,It would need to be on the right hand side or it would be a deal braker for me.

·
Category Winner
6,100 Posts
muzzanic said:
Me to:thumbsup: I have seen bikes with a lock out for up hill but that switch would be better:thumbsup:

Although it would depend on if the switch was on the Right hand or Left hand side,It would need to be on the right hand side or it would be a deal braker for me.
I'm just fascinated by gif's. Usually ones with bouncy girl parts, but the bikes seem to hold my attention as well.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
teamdicky said:
I'm just fascinated by gif's. Usually ones with bouncy girl parts, but the bikes seem to hold my attention as well.
I would ride either.

·
old schooler
1 Posts
I started with a 100mm Reba Team on my Tallboy, and thought that was fine. I then took the spacer out of the Reba Team and made it a 120 to try that. It rides a bit different going up, but I like it going down and in the tight technical stuff. It handles really well. I just put a F29 Fit 120 on it and it has that classic buttery smooth, reliable Fox feel, though to be honest, I am not sure it is really that much better that the Reba.
At 120 up front, you do have to adjust your seated steep climbing a bit to keep the front end where it needs to be. I rode a long steep climb today and found a position that was perfect for both endurance and steering up loose shale, and high alpine gravel. It is not the best climber I have ever ridden, but it does so many things well, it more than makes up for any shortcomings.

On a side note:
I did find the short chain stays to be a bit of a challenge with the front derailluer. If you use a normal three ring type Der. up front, the back of the chain cage is super close to the rear tire, in fact steep climbing in granny made it rub... So since I never run a third ring, I picked up a Shimano SLX 665 which is designed for two rings. Problem solved!

·
Registered
94 Posts
@Octane -> yes! Spider29 with 100mm F29, Tallboy with 120mm F29

@mtnbikeing -> yes! BB-Height Spider 12,5" , Tallboy 12,8"

@chardin61 -> I fully agree on your handling report. I have no issue with 3x9 and front der. rub.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just put together a Tallboy with the 2011 Talas 95-120. For general riding, especially in rocky areas, I'd definitely go with the 5" fork. Lots of rocks where I ride (CT), and I've had a few pedal strikes in the first few rides. Nothing I won't get used to, but I'm guessing that 1/2 inch less bb clearance (with the fork set at 95) would be a significant problem. The steering and climbing with the fork set at 120 are just fine. Great overall bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts