Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really, really close to pulling the trigger on a Tallboy, but before I do I'd like to throw myself on the mercy and the collective wisdom & experience of this forum.

Through some careful thread-searching I've noted that while a number of folks have questioned the durability of Tallboy (and carbon frames in general) and a few have alluded to warranty-related issues, I've seen very, very few specific, substantiated examples of issues with this frame. In fact, I can't find any.

Not that I'm looking for trouble, but like many of you, I just want to make an informed decision.

What say you Tallboy owners? Any issues?

Post-purchase regrets or concerns?

Have any of you made warranty claims? If so, were you pleased with how they were handled?

Many thanks in advance for the guidance and support!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have crashed, bashed and generally abused my Tallboy, LTC and now Nomad C and not had any issues. Carbon is way stronger than alloy, and can be repaired if ness. Any problems I've seen or heard about have either been Idiots or a fault in a pivot bolt(or not correctly assembled) Go ahead and buy an Intense or Foes or similar **** and then question "durability" :madman:

·
Registered
274 Posts
No problems with my LTc either. It is strong and durable, and i've had a couple of hard crashes riding down wet rock slabs. Only damage was a few paint chips.

I wouldn't think twice about ordering up any Santa Cruz carbon frame, especially the Tallboy!

·
SS Pusher Man
7,612 Posts
Got my Tallboy Nov. 3rd. After about 5 minutes on my Tallboy.......I forgot I was on a carbon bike. I ride my Tallboy like I ride my Heckler....I definately don't baby it. Bounced rock off of it. Been on the bottom of the pile in the shuttle truck. No problems whatsoever.

See my signature below.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was worried about Carbon before I got my TB now I am a believer I have had a few nasty spills on mine and I have not made a dent on it. THey are made to take serious riding.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Remember

Its carbon FIBER.

Where do I start?

I err an Engineer and edumacated in mechanics of materials....

Today if your carbon fails...your Alu would as well.

PROPERLY constructed carbon FIBER is WAY mo better for frame construction....

nuff said.

welll and this...I have seen 4 Alu failures in 20 years of riding/racin/wrenchin and ZERO carbon FIBER failures.....yes they exist cuz we bash and crash - but in a fatigue and tensile state carbon FIBER kills Alu....and those bashes and crashes would also have resulted in Alu failures.

My advice...WAIT until AFTER InterBike to see the tweeks to the TB and other similar offerings.....142mm rear axle???....first run corrections????

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I also have design experience in (now) old composite bicycle technology. I really like how SC has chosen to go with "we'll do composites and we'll make them super strong and somewhat light" instead of how light can we make the bike?

My advice - go with SC's Tallboy if you want it. They have taken care of me when I did need a little warranty help :)

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Love my Tallboy, in fact I bought one and sold one...

...sold one to my brother.

I've had mine since March and I love how it rides, I've raved about it to anyone that would listen. My brother, who usually doesn't spend as much on bikes as I do took one ride and said he had to have one. I've let a number of people take mine out and the reaction is almost always the same - they love it. My brother bought one.

So, my brother bought one from Cambria, and now the test will come. We took a trip out to Colorado a week ago. My brother had his bike for 2 weeks prior and he was loving it. We talked the bikes up to anyone that would listen. Yes, it rides that good.

But, the test of the warranty comes now. We were decending down the Colorado trail and a rock kicked up and hit his frame. This wasn't a crash, we weren't climbing over anything. A rock kicked up at about 20mph on a decent. It was loud when it hit.

The pictures below show the damage. He has tried to work through Cambira and we are waiting to hear back. But, he wanted to work through the dealer. A quick call to Santa Cruz indicated this would be a crash replacement (at $500 bucks).

In FAIRNESS to Santa Cruz, they HAVE NOT seen these pictures yet. I am not posting them to "strong arm" Santa Cruz. I had a small issue with mine early on, caused by me not reading the directions on that grease gun and Santa Cruz was GREAT.

We are trying to work through Cambria. Though, soon it will be through Santa Cruz as Cambria is tough to get responses from.

My brother and I are both XC riders, in our mid to late 30's, We LOVE how the bike rides. Best riding bike we have owned.

The sincere hope is that they will warranty this. $500 for a crash replacement is actually quite fair, for a crash. But rocks kick up all the time and that would be a huge bummer to drop $500 on that. We actually went to Golden bike shop in Golden Colorado and they had an early Felt Carbon with similar damage. Felt now puts a protector on the downtube. I've fashioned a protector for mine now also (shown in picture 3).

So, the bikes are not failproof, and I do believe that a downtube protector is needed. The paint also chips a bit easier than I would like and on one of the lower pivots, the chain will tear it up and it's hard to get tape to stick there.

That said - it is the BEST riding bike I've owned. That is with 25+ years of MTB riding, our sincere hope is that this is taken care of. (Calfee has estimated $300 for the repair if he goes that way). We are really hoping that Santa Cruz will warranty it, and soon will go direct through SC if Cambria doesn't help out. Contacted Cambria last Friday and hope to hear something soon.

As for your decision. The bike rides GREAT, and a downtube protector would have prevented this. I would still tell you to get one.

Attachments

·
Superflying on Haven
638 Posts
To Green Giant

I'm by no mean a carbon expert but based on the pictures I see, I would keep riding the Tallboy with peace of mind. Sure it was a hard hit but I don't think that would cause catastrophic failure or affect the ride, especially in that area that is super strong. Just my Opinion. No need to flame me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Green Giant said:
...sold one to my brother.

I've had mine since March and I love how it rides, I've raved about it to anyone that would listen. My brother, who usually doesn't spend as much on bikes as I do took one ride and said he had to have one. I've let a number of people take mine out and the reaction is almost always the same - they love it. My brother bought one.

So, my brother bought one from Cambria, and now the test will come. We took a trip out to Colorado a week ago. My brother had his bike for 2 weeks prior and he was loving it. We talked the bikes up to anyone that would listen. Yes, it rides that good.

But, the test of the warranty comes now. We were decending down the Colorado trail and a rock kicked up and hit his frame. This wasn't a crash, we weren't climbing over anything. A rock kicked up at about 20mph on a decent. It was loud when it hit.

The pictures below show the damage. He has tried to work through Cambira and we are waiting to hear back. But, he wanted to work through the dealer. A quick call to Santa Cruz indicated this would be a crash replacement (at $500 bucks).

In FAIRNESS to Santa Cruz, they HAVE NOT seen these pictures yet. I am not posting them to "strong arm" Santa Cruz. I had a small issue with mine early on, caused by me not reading the directions on that grease gun and Santa Cruz was GREAT.

We are trying to work through Cambria. Though, soon it will be through Santa Cruz as Cambria is tough to get responses from.

My brother and I are both XC riders, in our mid to late 30's, We LOVE how the bike rides. Best riding bike we have owned.

The sincere hope is that they will warranty this. $500 for a crash replacement is actually quite fair, for a crash. But rocks kick up all the time and that would be a huge bummer to drop $500 on that. We actually went to Golden bike shop in Golden Colorado and they had an early Felt Carbon with similar damage. Felt now puts a protector on the down tube. I've fashioned a protector for mine now also (shown in picture 3).

So, the bikes are not failproof, and I do believe that a downtube protector is needed. The paint also chips a bit easier than I would like and on one of the lower pivots, the chain will tear it up and it's hard to get tape to stick there.

That said - it is the BEST riding bike I've owned. That is with 25+ years of MTB riding, our sincere hope is that this is taken care of. (Calfee has estimated $300 for the repair if he goes that way). We are really hoping that Santa Cruz will warranty it, and soon will go direct through SC if Cambria doesn't help out. Contacted Cambria last Friday and hope to hear something soon.

As for your decision. The bike rides GREAT, and a downtube protector would have prevented this. I would still tell you to get one.
I have a 2010 S/C BlurLT2-carbon... Other than the botton of the linkage having- Rock rub marks... Note- have the same thing on my 2010 S/C BlurLT2-A... I did cover both frames with Racerstape... Stuff is Great !!! Bro that frame is fine... Myself and other guys who own TallBoys,C- Nomad,BlurLT2-c all have the same thing but on the bottom linkage... AKA Rock rub and hit marks... I do think the Racers tape helps... Note I put a few layers over lapping on the bottom down tube...Just my 2 cents... P.S If it really bothers you... I would take S/C up on the $500.00 crash replacement... And then get racerstape or a down tube protector for your new TallBoy...

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Update...

Cambria contacted my brother today and worked out a better price on the cost replacement, which he is going to do. So kudo's to Cambria, the question will be how long a replacement takes. But, at least we know the cost now.

As for the damage, yes we continued to ride the rest of our trip, so the frame is rideable, but if we were to push on it at all, we would have a hole in the carbon. It's not a dent, it's basically a hole.

As for the bike, it rides great. Skid plate is a must-have.

·
Registered
777 Posts
cytoe said:
I should have a skid plate available in a week or 2:). I just have to make the bends and test fit it. This is taking forever because of all the trips I have to make to the LBS (to fondle a Tallboy) :madman:.
Cool !!! Keep us posted !!! Will you be making any skid plates for a S/C BlurLT2-carbon-That can be zip tied on... Being I am going to get a TallBoy in the near future.. And I have the BlurLT2 c... I would buy both from you... IF they come available...

·
Chumley for prez!
445 Posts
I was fondling a nomad-c at the bike shop the other day and I like the downtube "protector" for the nomad. It seems to be made of the same rubberized material that protects the chainstay of the tallboy/blur ltc/nomad c?

Would be nice if santa cruz offered this as an aftermarket option for the tallboy....how hard can it be?
Ibis has got one for the mojo HD that fits onto the useless waterbottle bosses on the downtube that no one uses anyway....Does Santa cruz even read these forums?

·
Registered
131 Posts
supercusty said:
looks like the equivalent of an aluminum dent to me ?
Not at all. Carbon fiber can do things very well. However, at the point of evidence of stress, lies evidence of failure. Damage is damage here, and failure is complete. There is not retention of strength once the fibers are broken.

Metals can deform under stress without tearing. Strength can be retained in the presence of physical damage.

At least, this is the most visual understanding I have.

·
Registered
9,375 Posts
cytoe's DT protectors are awesome. If I buy a Tallboy, it will probably be because I can get one of his heavy-duty DT protectors. :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Question for existing owners...

Thanks Flyer!

I'm still tweaking the plate for the tallboy. Existing owners... have you hit the linkage yet? I'm wondering if the skid plate should just be a partial down tube plate and not cover the lowest part of the pivot. When the frame suspension is compressed, this lowest pivot point doesn't look as exposed as when at rest. Thoughts?

·
Superflying on Haven
638 Posts
It should cover the lowest part of the pivot. I didn't hit the linkage yet but it's always in the back of my head every time I ride and I'm being careful because of the risk. I would buy one of your protector for peace of mind...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts