Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2681 - 2700 of 2833 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Considering this bike...I'm 6'4" 220lbs. XXL seems like a lot of reach but nice stack as well. Any other 6'4" riders out there...long inseam - 36" measured. Getting older so don't like being too stretched out or too much drop, but long arms allows for some good drop without feeling hunched over. Thanks!!
I am just as tall as you are with the same inseam. I love my XXL Tallboy. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Modern Bike says my SDU with L/L shipped today and will be here by the end of the week...hooray!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Considering this bike...I'm 6'4" 220lbs. XXL seems like a lot of reach but nice stack as well. Any other 6'4" riders out there...long inseam - 36" measured. Getting older so don't like being too stretched out or too much drop, but long arms allows for some good drop without feeling hunched over. Thanks!!
I just built a XXL Tallboy and finished it last week. I am 6'3" with a 36 inseam but also have an +4.5 ape factor. No way I would want anything shorter. SC is shorter than say Ibis is also. I struggled over getting an XXL frame, but with my 84cm saddle height and super long arms, was totally the correct size. I also used a BikeYoke 213 dropper which is sticking out of the frame by 2 inches., full fork steerer length and a 50mm stem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear Group.

Happy new year! Guys. I need help with frame sizing for the Tallboy4. I'm 5'8" 31" inseam. Should I go for a Medium or Large? Is it true that the 2021 models fork is now 140mm fork from factory? On their website its still listed as 130mm fork.
I’ve just got a 2021 TB and it’s a 130mm fork on it.

I’m 5’9 with 31” inseam and on a large, it feels perfect. The owner of the shop I bought it from is 5’8 and also on a large. I think because it has low standover height it’s absolutely fine for your (and my) size. I couldn’t imagine being on a medium and really feel like the bike fits perfect. My friend, who’s 5’8 has pedalled mine and said he’d get a large as well.

Hope that helps, it’s likely down to preference and how you want the bike to feel. I just know that I’m delighted with my decision to go Large (even though my hardtail is a medium)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve just got a 2021 TB and it’s a 130mm fork on it.

I’m 5’9 with 31” inseam and on a large, it feels perfect. The owner of the shop I bought it from is 5’8 and also on a large. I think because it has low standover height it’s absolutely fine for your (and my) size. I couldn’t imagine being on a medium and really feel like the bike fits perfect. My friend, who’s 5’8 has pedalled mine and said he’d get a large as well.

Hope that helps, it’s likely down to preference and how you want the bike to feel. I just know that I’m delighted with my decision to go Large (even though my hardtail is a medium)
Thanks for your reply Buddy, Appreciate it. Quite hard to decide on the sizing. I'm planning to take my time and build the bike from the frame up. My plans are go straight to 140mm front and cascade link later this year. Currently on a 2020 Norco Sight Large 27.5. I like the big bike feel on it but, The wheelbase is just too long and too much capabilities on my riding skills. I'm more into longer epic rides than bike parks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your reply Buddy, Appreciate it. Quite hard to decide on the sizing. I'm planning to take my time and build the bike from the frame up. My plans are go straight to 140mm front and cascade link later this year. Currently on a 2020 Norco Sight Large 27.5. I like the big bike feel on it but, The wheelbase is just too long and too much capabilities on my riding skills. I'm more into longer epic rides than bike parks.
No problem at all. Yeah I moved from a V1 Bronson with 160mm up front and it felt like more bike than I needed for most of my riding. The weird thing is, I actually feel far more confident on the TB! Likely due to the larger wheels and different geo, but it’s much more poppy and fun everywhere plus it pedals so well on longer days. I’ve got the CC X01 build and those Pikes Ultimates are really great. Good luck with your build 🤟🏻

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm going to add my $0.02 on the Cascade Link since I finally backed off of surfing long enough to try it. My build was a XO1 CC with Onyx hubs/Light Bicycle rims, Minion SS 2.3 on the back/Minion DHF in front, a RWC needle bearing kit on the bushing end of the shock, and Fox DPS/Rockshox Pike. Short chainstay set up, and a one notch increase in volume reducer in the shock. The only real mod I did aside from the wheelset was the PUSH HC97 compression valve for the Pike, which is a must-do. Very happy with this set up overall to date, and would have been happy with it as-is, and taken it to the green/blue trails of Mammoth, etc. along with any SoCal trail. My other bike is a full-PUSH coil Nomad 3, and the new suspension geometry honestly makes it hard for me to choose the Nomad except when I specifically want or need 165mm of travel and coils. The DPS holds it back a little bit but not too much, it's just kind of underwhelming next to a full coil bike.

I put the Cascade Link in at the same time as new e*13 TRS Trail 2.35" tires (SS tread on the back again), so that might color this a little bit. They are wider/stickier but I used the same air pressure I usually do.

It took another 20 psi or so to get back to ~30% travel which seemed odd but...not out of the range of what other people are posting. Took one more click of rebound but everything else was about right. On the trail, the bike feels much more like a mini-enduro and there's now more space between it and my Tallboy 1.0. So much so I don't feel silly keeping both bikes anymore. It still pedals way better than the Nomad but it's not going to be a bike I pin for speed on flats (I kinda blame the tires here), that's the TB 1.0 on Racing Ralphs at both ends. I went down some cobble/baby head sections along with whatever square edges and rough terrain I could find. The new link definitely opens up the bandwidth for what it'll take at speed, and is happier the faster you go down rough terrain. Can definitely feel the momentum-saving upside of additional chain growth.

Jumps and landings are fantastic...but the bike wasn't missing much there to begin with. It is indeed more bottomless-feeling. I did find the bottom of the travel every now and then when stock (even with the bigger volume reducer). It feels like it'll be less now.

I still have the Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate arriving in a couple days, will be interesting to see how much difference that makes but it's doing really well with the DPS as it is.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'm going to add my $0.02 on the Cascade Link since I finally backed off of surfing long enough to try it. My build was a XO1 CC with Onyx hubs/Light Bicycle rims, Minion SS 2.3 on the back/Minion DHF in front, a RWC needle bearing kit on the bushing end of the shock, and Fox DPS/Rockshox Pike. Short chainstay set up, and a one notch increase in volume reducer in the shock. The only real mod I did aside from the wheelset was the PUSH HC97 compression valve for the Pike, which is a must-do. Very happy with this set up overall to date, and would have been happy with it as-is, and taken it to the green/blue trails of Mammoth, etc. along with any SoCal trail. My other bike is a full-PUSH coil Nomad 3, and the new suspension geometry honestly makes it hard for me to choose the Nomad except when I specifically want or need 165mm of travel and coils. The DPS holds it back a little bit but not too much, it's just kind of underwhelming next to a full coil bike.

I put the Cascade Link in at the same time as new e*13 TRS Trail 2.35" tires (SS tread on the back again), so that might color this a little bit. They are wider/stickier but I used the same air pressure I usually do.

It took another 20 psi or so to get back to ~30% travel which seemed odd but...not out of the range of what other people are posting. Took one more click of rebound but everything else was about right. On the trail, the bike feels much more like a mini-enduro and there's now more space between it and my Tallboy 1.0. So much so I don't feel silly keeping both bikes anymore. It still pedals way better than the Nomad but it's not going to be a bike I pin for speed on flats (I kinda blame the tires here), that's the TB 1.0 on Racing Ralphs at both ends. I went down some cobble/baby head sections along with whatever square edges and rough terrain I could find. The new link definitely opens up the bandwidth for what it'll take at speed, and is happier the faster you go down rough terrain. Can definitely feel the momentum-saving upside of additional chain growth.

Jumps and landings are fantastic...but the bike wasn't missing much there to begin with. It is indeed more bottomless-feeling. I did find the bottom of the travel every now and then when stock (even with the bigger volume reducer). It feels like it'll be less now.

I still have the Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate arriving in a couple days, will be interesting to see how much difference that makes but it's doing really well with the DPS as it is.
Thanks for the detailed feedback. Look forward to your experience with the Super Deluxe.

·
Registered
422 Posts
@TXNavy Do you run the fork at 140MM front?

Thanks.
Nope, 130mm, with the HC97 compression valving. I might have added a token (volume reducer) but I don't recall. Without the HC97, the high speed compression was so awfully overdamped it felt pretty sacked out all the time. With the HC97, I don't feel much need for another 10mm of travel. It actually feels pretty good next to my PUSH'ed 160mm Fox 36 with ACS-3 coil on the Nomad, minus that coil smoothness.

Right now, the bike remains pretty well balanced front to back with the Cascade Link, DPS and 0.6 Fox volume Reducer, and 130mm Pike/HC97 (with maybe a token). I do notice a bigger difference between full open and propedal on the flats with the DPS now. But flipped on and pedaling flat or full open and charging downhill, both ends are pretty good as-is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just built a XXL Tallboy and finished it last week. I am 6'3" with a 36 inseam but also have an +4.5 ape factor. No way I would want anything shorter. SC is shorter than say Ibis is also. I struggled over getting an XXL frame, but with my 84cm saddle height and super long arms, was totally the correct size. I also used a BikeYoke 213 dropper which is sticking out of the frame by 2 inches., full fork steerer length and a 50mm stem.
[/QUOTE
XXL for sure. I'm the same size at 6'4" and had a XL hightower v2. Sold it and transitioned to tallboy XXL which is perfect. Also love the shorter chainstay option on tallboy compared to the hightower.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nope, 130mm, with the HC97 compression valving. I might have added a token (volume reducer) but I don't recall. Without the HC97, the high speed compression was so awfully overdamped it felt pretty sacked out all the time. With the HC97, I don't feel much need for another 10mm of travel. It actually feels pretty good next to my PUSH'ed 160mm Fox 36 with ACS-3 coil on the Nomad, minus that coil smoothness.

Right now, the bike remains pretty well balanced front to back with the Cascade Link, DPS and 0.6 Fox volume Reducer, and 130mm Pike/HC97 (with maybe a token). I do notice a bigger difference between full open and propedal on the flats with the DPS now. But flipped on and pedaling flat or full open and charging downhill, both ends are pretty good as-is.
"I don't feel much need for another 10mm of travel. "

This is good to know and really helpful. Thanks for you time and help.

Have a good one Buddy.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Finally got the SDU from Fedex today! Going to put off surfing and get the RWC bearing in the frame end. If I have time I'll give it a shot this afternoon on some cobbles and jumps!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I started to write something last night with a bunch of mechanical engineering frequency response stuff and it quickly got TL;DR. Short version is:

1.) The L/L tune is correct, M/M is likely overdamped in comparison unlike TB 1.0/2.0.
2.) The Cascade Link is a more significant upgrade if you can only swing one...but try bumping up your volume reducer in the DPS first...
3.) The SDU is an upgrade over the DPS but both are good, and it may not matter much to you.

I have an RWC needle bearing kit at the frame end, and I recently did a sleeve service on my DPS, so aside from the SDU not breaking in yet I got a pretty good feel for the differences.

I tuned the bike over a couple fast runs down the middle of Mission Trails in San Diego, looking for the big ramps, swoopy turns, and cobbliest-cobble sections I could find. Some immediate impressions: the SDU rides higher in its travel, and it needs the lock out lever less than the DPS. The LSC circuit is good enough that it actually returned a bit of the pedaling sharpness the Cascade Link and sticky tires had taken out of the bike a few days before. On high speed cobbles it initially did not feel as smooth as the DPS, but backing out rebound one or two clicks and it was a bit better, especially at speed. This didn't take away any pedaling sharpness, which is a big plus. Where it really shined was running through bigger, rougher stuff, or landing from a 2-4 foot jump into cobbles rear wheel first. It is more controlled than the DPS overall.

For some reason we don't know how to build good jumps in SoCal, and usually instead of a transition you are facing landing in a turn or landing in some kind of rock garden. Just to see what it would do I took these fast and went rear wheel down first; it soaked up the hit exceptionally smoothly, and went right to controlling travel in the cobbles or handling the turn. With the DPS...it would do it, but only 80-90% as well. The level of control on the bike with the SDU (and HC97 up front) is pretty excellent. It does not and cannot feel quite as good as my Push 11/6...but it feels like a move in that direction from the DPS if that makes sense. It felt like I could feel the shock move through it's travel on landing and bring the bike to a stop, then smoothly rebound back out. No bottoming out (or feeling of approaching it), no strange rebound behavior at either end of the travel, etc. And the fact that it was doing this in the middle of a bunch of high frequency inputs from cobbles on a lot of jumps is pretty slick.

That last part is why I'm pretty sure the L/L is the correct tune, I think I saw all of the various damping circuits at work on the trail and think this is pretty dead on. It's not underdamped at the bottom of a big hit in either direction or high frequency inputs, gets back to static rest and work on the next bump(s) very smoothly, and definitely does not need "more" damping. It can't be a coil but it will move as fast or faster than my Pike when it needs to for cobbles and chunder. And I'm 190-195 lbs so...

If I were racing enduro or anything like it...I'd want this and the Cascade Link. For general trail riding, Cascade Link first. If I was going to do regular bike park runs, or stuff that looks like bike parks (which I will)...then I'd want this and the Cascade Link. That being said, the link and the DPS is 80-90% of the same performance, so it may not matter that much to you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've replaced DPS with DB IL Air 190x50. Pretty happy with it in SoCal except fast rocky trails (I'd rather prefer to ride that stuff on Megatower, but TB4 pedals up much better). Front fork (Pike Select) is set up for 140 mm.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Rode the TB with Cascade Link and SDU again tonight - I'm hooked, this is a really good upgrade! Can feel the damping working very well over big hits, cobbles, turns, and pending forces, all on top of each other. And the fact that it pedals better than the DPS is fantastic.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Reporting back with many days worth of riding on the new RS Super Deluxe Ultimate shock. Its brilliant! More subtle than the stock Fox DPS Performance that came on the bike plus it doesn't pack out or get hot on sustained descents like the DPS did. Only downside is that it weighs more. Mine is built specifically for the TB4 with the lighter tune. I am running it at 215-220# (about 25% sag) and haven't messed with the dials at all yet. It's fast enough where it is set for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reporting back with many days worth of riding on the new RS Super Deluxe Ultimate shock. Its brilliant! More subtle than the stock Fox DPS Performance that came on the bike plus it doesn't pack out or get hot on sustained descents like the DPS did. Only downside is that it weighs more. Mine is built specifically for the TB4 with the lighter tune. I am running it at 215-220# (about 25% sag) and haven't messed with the dials at all yet. It's fast enough where it is set for me.
Could I ask where you got your shock? They seem sold out everywhere...

2681 - 2700 of 2833 Posts