Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2661 - 2680 of 2833 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Well, I “can” but it appears to be out of stock everywhere, and like I said the M/M was better on the previous bikes. I can’t find the recommended tune graphs for the SDU like I can for the Monarch that would point one way or the other so...trying to gauge the feedback. I would imagine either tune is “ok.”

I have a bearing kit from RWC for both ends so can go either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have not ridden the m/m SDU, only the 2021 DPX2. It didn't feel great with any combination of PSI/volume spacers etc, and I had the LSC and rebound almost fully open on each combo. Also used my buddy's shockwiz to get a 95% or better tune on each combo I tried. Still didn't like it, and I put plenty of time on it. The only time the m/m DPX2 somewhat started feeling ok (and when I say ok, I mean tolerable) was when I put a Cascade link on it, but by that time I was over it. If you want any idea of how it felt, go read any review of the Megatower and how all the reviews said it was harsh and didn't feel good until you were going mach chicken . That's how the DPX2 felt to me. Ironicaly the Mega was about the only SC frame I'm aware of they current send out with med/med tunes on the shock. The rest all get low/low from what I know and have heard.

I now have the L/L SDU Rick mentioned above that is specific for a Tallboy/Joplin, and am much happier. The bike just feels better overall in every aspect for me.

See my posts above for more info/detail.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have not ridden the m/m SDU, only the 2021 DPX2. It didn't feel great with any combination of PSI/volume spacers etc, and I had the LSC and rebound almost fully open on each combo. Also used my buddy's shockwiz to get a 95% or better tune on each combo I tried. Still didn't like it, and I put plenty of time on it. The only time the m/m DPX2 somewhat started feeling ok (and when I say ok, I mean tolerable) was when I put a Cascade link on it, but by that time I was over it. If you want any idea of how it felt, go read any review of the Megatower and how all the reviews said it was harsh and didn't feel good until you were going mach chicken . That's how the DPX2 felt to me. Ironicaly the Mega was about the only SC frame I'm aware of they current send out with med/med tunes on the shock. The rest all get low/low from what I know and have heard.

I now have the L/L SDU Rick mentioned above that is specific for a Tallboy/Joplin, and am much happier. The bike just feels better overall in every aspect for me.

See my posts above for more info/detail.
Thanks! Was the DPX2 on your TB as well or only your Megatower? If not, did you move from the DPS to the SDU L/L?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Thanks! Was the DPX2 on your TB as well or only your Megatower? If not, did you move from the DPS to the SDU L/L?

DPX2 was on my Tallboy from the start, I sold the DPS off it before I built the bike.

I went from the DPX2 to the SDU L/L.

·
Registered
422 Posts
DPX2 was on my Tallboy from the start, I sold the DPS off it before I built the bike.

I went from the DPX2 to the SDU L/L.
Thanks for the quick replies and feedback! Strangely just found one and snagged it. I have the Cascade Link in but won’t spend too much time trying to dial the DPS in for it after all

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies and feedback! Strangely just found one and snagged it. I have the Cascade Link in but won’t spend too much time trying to dial the DPS in for it after all

Nice! Last I heard that SDU for the Tallboy had an ETA of April.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice! Last I heard that SDU for the Tallboy had an ETA of April.
Yeeeeaaaah the website says it’ll ship a few days after Monday, but I’m guessing it’s a maybe. Everywhere else has been sold out. Guess we’ll find out!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interested to know if people that prefer the L/L tune are lighter riders. I have a Mega with the M/M Super Deluxe and it’s great at 210 lbs, no issues on mine that reviews mention.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got a question for you and the other folks who got the medium/medium SDU...how sure are you it's not overdamped? When you're going fast downhill, is the shock moving fast enough and smoother than the Fox DP? I mean this in a non-snarky way, the TB1 and TB2 both benefited going from a low/low RP23 to a medium/medium Monarch RT3, so it wouldn't surprise me at all. But the Fox on my TB4 is actually pretty well matched to the curve, if underwhelming next to my Nomad with an 11/6, etc.

If the answer is "yes, I'm really sure it's not overdamped and probably better" then I will join this $500 experiment 🙃
I wouldn‘t say I‘m sure. But I‘m totally fine with med/med tune and still got enough klicks left to go faster in compression and rebound. But I guess that only counts for the low speed, which the dials are for? High speed settings are set, but work just fine for me. If I rode that bike in really rough terrain only, I‘d like to have a touch less highspeed compression. But that‘s not what the TB is for. So it works for me. I don‘t regret buying it at all.
I assume it depends on rider weight and riding style. I‘m around 90-92kg all geared up and mostly ride more on the active, aggressive side.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Considering this bike...I'm 6'4" 220lbs. XXL seems like a lot of reach but nice stack as well. Any other 6'4" riders out there...long inseam - 36" measured. Getting older so don't like being too stretched out or too much drop, but long arms allows for some good drop without feeling hunched over. Thanks!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Considering this bike...I'm 6'4" 220lbs. XXL seems like a lot of reach but nice stack as well. Any other 6'4" riders out there...long inseam - 36" measured. Getting older so don't like being too stretched out or too much drop, but long arms allows for some good drop without feeling hunched over. Thanks!!
You definitely need an XXL.

for comparison sake I’m on an XL after being on a Large and couldn’t be happier.
6 ft even , 34 inch inseam, +1 cm ape index.

Also I love the higher stack height of the XL over the Large. Had no idea how much that , along with a longer reach and Front Centre would improve my riding, until I upsized.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dear Group.

Happy new year! Guys. I need help with frame sizing for the Tallboy4. I'm 5'8" 31" inseam. Should I go for a Medium or Large? Is it true that the 2021 models fork is now 140mm fork from factory? On their website its still listed as 130mm fork.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You definitely need an XXL.

for comparison sake I’m on an XL after being on a Large and couldn’t be happier.
6 ft even , 34 inch inseam, +1 cm ape index.

Also I love the higher stack height of the XL over the Large. Had no idea how much that , along with a longer reach and Front Centre would improve my riding, until I upsized.
Thanks...are you more comfortable for longer rides? I am afraid I am going to be stretched out too far. Getting older and don't have the best neck in the world!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks...are you more comfortable for longer rides? I am afraid I am going to be stretched out too far. Getting older and don't have the best neck in the world!!
My experience is I am much more comfortable. I don’t feel so cramped and on top of the bike , more in the bike with lots of room to move around and to breath.

I’m 60 now, with 32 years of riding experience , so I understand your concern about aches and pains and injuries at an older age. Trust me , go big. Your body will be happier and your riding will be safer and more enjoyable.

·
Registered
422 Posts
+1 for the answer he gave you size wise. Don’t forget the short stem in the “new school” geometry, ETT plus stem ends up being about the same as you would have previous models. You won’t be as stretched out as you think, and after you ride with that front axle waaaaay in front, you won’t want to go back!

·
Registered
324 Posts
+1 for the answer he gave you size wise. Don’t forget the short stem in the “new school” geometry, ETT plus stem ends up being about the same as you would have previous models. You won’t be as stretched out as you think, and after you ride with that front axle waaaaay in front, you won’t want to go back!

Agree! I’ve come to believe that front-centre is one of the most important measurements on a bike , even more so than reach

short travel bikes tend to have much shorter FC’s compared to long travel bikes with comparable reaches. In order to compensate you almost need to go up a size , which is what I did. My large enduro bike and my XL Tallboy have FC and wheelbase measurements within a few mm of each other and I love it. And for me sizing up on the short travel bike did not take away from the nimbleness but it sure improved everything else.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If you want any idea of how it felt, go read any review of the Megatower and how all the reviews said it was harsh and didn't feel good until you were going mach chicken . That's how the DPX2 felt to me. Ironicaly the Mega was about the only SC frame I'm aware of they current send out with med/med tunes on the shock. The rest all get low/low from what I know and have heard.
The Super Deluxe air that came on the MT had more issues than simply being too firm I think. I actually ran a lot of compression damping on mine (LSC2-4 clicks out). I had to because it would blow through its travel on everything. I tried a huge range of setups on that shock (every compression setting, psi 0-40 over recommended) and eventually found that there was no way to make it feel supportive without getting harsh. The other problem was the wonky rebound tune. If I slowed it down enough to not feel like I was getting bucked on jumps it would start to pack up in rock gardens. Maybe going to the L/L tune fixes some weirdness in the high speed circuits but I just went to an X2 which has been awesome.

Also, while I wouldn't use a DPS on an AM or enduro bike, the factory DPS that came on my Tallboy has been the first OE shock I haven't replaced (and I'm 210 lbs and quite aggressive). There's a bit of room for improvement but overall it's been great. I like the TB being lighter and poppier than my MT and wouldn't want to go to a less lively shock.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
-You "should" fit pretty comfortably on an XL MaxMyNameisMax. I'm just short of 6'5" and extensively demoed one with a 50mm stem and it was perfect in the wide-open & twisty stuff we have around the Central-Coast of Ca. My current ride is a V1 Hightower with a 50mm stem and over-forked just a bit at 150mm Fox 36 with a 44 offset.

2661 - 2680 of 2833 Posts