Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2833 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any news?

What do people want out the bike?

Amid all of the speculation threads, I have not seen a whisper about a new Tallboy. Personally, I'm more excited about this bike (if it happens) than any others.. I am really liking the idea of these new short travel rippers like the SB100. Light, fast bikes that with proper line choice, can ride basically anything a Bronson can. Thinking something like the SB100, but with a 110r, 130f, a trail build and VPP of course.

I imagine the Hightower will slot in around 130-140 rear travel and there won't be an LT version anymore, so the Tallboy could really shine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replying to my own thread...

I've been looking at Tallboy 3's recently, hence the interest in a possible TB4. Sounds like some folks are overforking their TB3's with some success. I guess my thought is whether I should look at getting a TB3 frame and overforking it or if we expect to see essentially that bike, but more refined, coming in 2019.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am curious as well. Had a chance to demo a TB3 in Brevard and loved it. Also rode a Hightower and it seemed like a bit too much bike for how and where I ride. Recently there have been some great deals on Hightowers, but not quite as good on the Tallboy (not in my size at least). My guess is that the TB4 will be 120R/130F. Very close to the T429 without superboost. This will keep it from overlapping the Blur trail build. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I’m itching for something new...

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Here’s when things got announced for trail bikes going back as far as the last time they did an April 1st release (Nomad v3, in 2014). This is just new models, not the color and build kit updates. Also not bothering to track the V10 or Stigmata or Jackal:
Bronson and 5010 v3: July 3rd, 2018
Blur 3: March 20th, 2018
Hightower LT: July 16th, 2017
Nomad 4: June 1st, 2017
Tallboy 3: April 26th, 2016
Hightower: Feb. 2nd, 2016
Bronson 2 and 5010 2: Sept. 11th, 2015
Santa Cruz Nomad 3: April 1st, 2014

So it seems like all the 29ers are due for a 2019 update, except for the Blur. Figure with all the chatter and noise about the hypothetical long-travel 29er enduro race bike that the Tallboy release will be a bit later.

27.5 bikes slot in pretty nicely with frame travel staggered by 20mm across 3 models, 130/150/170. With the Blur already sitting at 100 and the hypothetical long-travel 29er enduro race bike at 160, that leaves room for a Tallboy at 120 and a Hightower at 140.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I personally think that the current TB3 really punches above its class when it comes to capability. I have taken mine from all day 30+ mile rides to a couple of lift serve runs and it really held its own and this is the 29" wheel 120mm travel fork model.

I think with a beefy wheel/tire combo and a 130mm fork you would basically have the bike you are asking for. Short of racing enduro or multiple dh days a year this bike handles everything.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My guess is yes, sometime this year we will have a new TB4 with steeper ST. (New school geo). My guess is 115-120 rear and 130 front. Probably be a great bike.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
If this is the Santa Cruz 29er line-up...

Blur
Tallboy
Hightower
Megatower

The safe bet seems to be...

100mm
120mm
140mm
160mm

·
Registered
586 Posts
If this is the Santa Cruz 29er line-up...

Blur
Tallboy
Hightower
Megatower

The safe bet seems to be...

100mm
120mm
140mm
160mm
I agree, and the Tallboy is the one I'm anxiously waiting for.
I'm sure the new HT and Mega will be great and honestly I could probably ride the HT in my area but the Tallboy fits my terrain better.
I have a Nomad4 set up for park days. :)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I've had my TB3 for almost 3 years now, and I still like it a lot. Mine is a 29er and I extended the fork to 130mm, and it works great for my terrain and riding style. I don't have the funds for a new bike anyway. However, I am considering upgrading my old XX1 11-speed drivetrain to the new 12-speed XTR.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As someone who's looking at getting a Tallboy. Should I wait for the next bike to be released? Or scoop one up this spring? I have a Bronson that I love, but am just becoming more a trail rider than a jump line sender.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As someone who's looking at getting a Tallboy. Should I wait for the next bike to be released? Or scoop one up this spring? I have a Bronson that I love, but am just becoming more a trail rider than a jump line sender.
Buy a current TB3 at a discount. It's a really versatile bike, and will send more than you think. Or, try a Hightower. I went from a Gen 1 Bronson and a TB3 to only riding the Hightower. It does everything for me that either of the other two did.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is there anything that you want changed from the current bike? Do you want a little higher BB, 29x2.6 rear tire clearance, or a little longer wheelbase? If not, look at getting a deal on the current model. After all, no one here knows what the actual changes will be or how it will change the personality of the bike. Current model is pretty awesome as is.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
We may see an updated rear triangle. I also agree with those suggesting 115-120 mm rear travel. I have been riding my TB3 as a plus and it has been great. I recently changed out the XO1 11 speed for XO1 12 speed. They shift about the same, I just wanted the lower gear for going up the the N Georgia mountains. I also would like to see a move from Level brakes to Guide. If shimano gets more 12 speed out there, we may see some of that too. I would also like to see SC dump the reverb for transfer droppers.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
My wants for a new tallboy.

-Lower linkage driven shock with progressive leverage ratio in lieu of the regressive-linear-progressive hump that makes vpp3 wallow in it's travel so badly.
-XL with 485mm Reach, 650 +/- ETT, 75.5 STA/67 HTA, 460 ST, 425-427 Chainstays
-Metric shock and coil compatible, Non internal headset (never happening but I can dream) so I can put a -1.5 works head set in this thing and run it with a 65.5 HTA

The current tallboy is a good enough bike, but it rides pretty much like a hightower with a smidge less travel. Really, there is no penalty for going with a hightower so the tallboy seems redundant to me. My biggest issue with it is the vpp3 setup which is wallowy on pedaling conditions, and rely's on too much chain tension to minimize the pedal bob and as such, has traction issues on loose, technical climbing.

The changes I listed above should fix that. Basically, give me a vpp4 trance 29.

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,331 Posts

-Lower linkage driven shock with progressive leverage ratio in lieu of the regressive-linear-progressive hump that makes vpp3 wallow in it's travel so badly.
-Metric shock and coil compatible, Non internal headset (never happening but I can dream) so I can put a -1.5 works head set in this thing and run it with a 65.5 HTA

The current tallboy is a good enough bike, but it rides pretty much like a hightower with a smidge less travel. Really, there is no penalty for going with a hightower so the tallboy seems redundant to me. My biggest issue with it is the vpp3 setup which is wallowy on pedaling conditions, and rely's on too much chain tension to minimize the pedal bob and as such, has traction issues on loose, technical climbing.

The changes I listed above should fix that. Basically, give me a vpp4 trance 29.
Never going to get a lower link driven shock.
reach will probably be shorter as they have an XXL
Should be metric, coil is not something tallboy owners want so I doubt it.
non internal headset is a pipe dream.
I would bet good money on 120 travel with the high tower at 140.

·
Registered
759 Posts
IMO, the Tallboy 3 doesn’t get the love it deserves. It’s a great all around trail bike that lives up to much more than what it’s suspension numbers show.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Be interested to see if they come out with a TB4. Really like the TB3. Hopefully the colors are better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

I am curious as to your remarks to a wollow in the rear. I may be wrong, but this is the first I have hear of someone discribe the rear that way. I am curious as to your weight, wheels, and shock set up. I had a 2014 Trek Fuel EX that had that feeling. I am not certain but I think the wheels had to do with that. I weigh between 165 and 175 geared up and have had no concernes as to a wollow in the rear end. I am on a CC frame with Enve 27.5+ wheels.

As for the coil, very unlikely. As for the the suspension design and chain tension, many complain about bikes that use specific shock technology to fix this. Pick your poison i guess. Over the past five years I have had a 2014 Niner Rip 9, 2017 Fuel EX9, and now the TB3. The fuel uses the shock to help with pedaling. It is about preference. It sounds like the TB may not be for you. From my time on the bikes listed, your wish list would seem to make you a a good canidate for a Fuel. I was happy to sell the Fuel for the TB.

I rented a HT while in Sedona this past fall. I have to agree it does ride similar to the TB.

·
Turns right, slides left
658 Posts
My biggest issue with it is the vpp3 setup which is wallowy on pedaling conditions, and rely's on too much chain tension to minimize the pedal bob and as such, has traction issues on loose, technical climbing.
Curious- How much time do you have on VPP3 bikes? I ask because your feedback sounds like you are referring to older versions of VPP.

Not flaming, just curious.

1 - 20 of 2833 Posts