Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of the 29er Rekon versions fit on 30mm ID Reserves? I'm looking for my next rear tire and I think I can do better than the 2.4 Ardent I'm currently using.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Very popular around on the North East for wet rocky and rooty trails. Some run XR3 in the back, though the design of the XR3 recently changed and I'm not familiar with how it performs. I really liked the older XR3 too, for better rolling with very little decrease in traction compared to the 4. Bigger wider spaced knobs are better in loose stuff. I've been running 4s front and rear and prior to the change of the XR3 thought I'd go back to an XR3 in the rear. Not sure now.

·
eastman
282 Posts
Very popular around on the North East for wet rocky and rooty trails. Some run XR3 in the back, though the design of the XR3 recently changed and I'm not familiar with how it performs. I really liked the older XR3 too, for better rolling with very little decrease in traction compared to the 4. Bigger wider spaced knobs are better in loose stuff. I've been running 4s front and rear and prior to the change of the XR3 thought I'd go back to an XR3 in the rear. Not sure now.
I just put on a new set of XR4's on my TB 3C. Definitely feels grippy in the rear when compared to the Ardent Race, especially in wet/rooty/rocky sections. I still think I prefer the Minion DHF up front...especially in the loose over hard pack, but the XR4 up front is starting to grow on me.

on another note, I still have the 24 iw rims and was thinking about upgrading to 28 or 30 iw. Little concerned about the 30's and tire clearance in the back. Sounds like you're running 29iw w 2.4's with no problem?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ Plenty of clearance with 2.4 XR4s on 29 iw rims. A good rule of thumb is that the tire carcass width increases by ~1/3 of the rim width increase. If you go from 24 to 30mm rims the tire carcass width will increase by 2mm, or 1mm on each side. The width at the knobs increases less.

·
eastman
282 Posts
^^^ Plenty of clearance with 2.4 XR4s on 29 iw rims. A good rule of thumb is that the tire carcass width increases by ~1/3 of the rim width increase. If you go from 24 to 30mm rims the tire carcass width will increase by 2mm, or 1mm on each side. The width at the knobs increases less.
Thanks, LoneR! any pros or cons using a 28 vs 30 iw rim on the TB 3?

·
eastman
282 Posts
How is the XR4 as a rear tire (or front tire), is it OK in wet conditions?
I just installed a set of XR4's on my TB3. Great grip in rear, especially in wet/rocky/rooty conditions. the front seems to also hold well. Just a slight bit less grip than a minion dhf, but I'm still playing with pressure, so this short ridden opinion, may get updated. Can't beat the price and the 30 day unconditional guarantee...if you don't like them, take them back!

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Thanks, LoneR! any pros or cons using a 28 vs 30 iw rim on the TB 3?
If 28 vs 30 mattered to anything, it would be to the tire, but even for that the diff is very small. I switched to 29 iw at the same time I switched to XR4s, which are round across the knobs from side to side. Some tires with longer side knobs get squared off on wider rims, but even there, the diff between 28 or 30 mm rims would be very small, IMO.

·
eastman
282 Posts
If 28 vs 30 mattered to anything, it would be to the tire, but even for that the diff is very small. I switched to 29 iw at the same time I switched to XR4s, which are round across the knobs from side to side. Some tires with longer side knobs get squared off on wider rims, but even there, the diff between 28 or 30 mm rims would be very small, IMO.
Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm running a 2.3 minion SS mounted on roval traverse SLs on my tallboy and clearance is fairly tight with the big cornering lugs. It does pull rocks across the triangle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.