Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.
I have the chance/time/a bit of cash to build up a 'new' (for me) trail bike that I want to use double-duty as a marathon rig. I am going to tackle the BC Bike race next year. What are thoughts on the Tallboy 3 (or the 4 I guess as it looks imminent) in terms of being built up to around 25-25.5lb for trail/marathon duties?
As a background, have owned a 5010 V1, Bronson V2 and (currently) a 2018 Rocky Instinct, but am after something that is more efficient and lighter than those for the above; have also looked at a Yeti SB4.5.
I realise it's a bit of an impossible dream re lightweight/robust trail performance perhaps but any advice or anyone who has a bike of similar spec would be great to see it and hear ideas. I am 6ft, ride a Large generally and am based in Sydney, Australia, where trails I ride for training are primarily sandstone based, but with plenty of rollers, rock ledges (not too big) and steep, short pinch climbing, hence the weight/less travel idea.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The TB3 is a great bike, but you'll have to throw some significant money at it to get it down to 25 lbs. You night do better (or at least get close to what you want for less money) with a more XC oriented bike like the Blur.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you want 25 lbs maybe look at intense sniper trail ?. To be honest though knowing Sydney trails , 25 lbs is not going to be real robust. Stumpjumper st , or tall boy would be my choice but they won’t be 25 lbs. I ride a 2016 s works camber 120 mm with 130 fork , 30mm wide rims perfect for 90% of ripping around Sydney

·
Registered
402 Posts
My XL Blur is right at 26 lbs, built for parties with a Pike Ultimate set at 120mm and Nobby Nic up front. I just did the Spakwus 50 and 35 in Squamish a few weeks ago on it. It was a blast. The bike worked pretty well in that regard and I rode all the descents including all of Rupert. I'm sure the TB4 will be great, but 25lbs is probably not going to be realistic. From what I've been told, the Squamish day of the BCBR is the rowdiest and pretty similar to the Spakwus as far as tech.

If you're completing, not competing, go TB3 or TB4 but realize that a 27 to 28 pound bike might be the reality.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a Tallboy 3 with the C frame which should be high 25s with my 34 SC.

Large Tallboy C
Next SL bars
Roval traverse sl wheels
2.35 forecasters
Next r cranks
Ethirteen trs Race 9-46 cassette
Xtr brakes, shifter, derailleur
Fox transfer
Fox 34 SC (also sometimes run a 130 pike)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Yes, I should be more realistic with myself (and my budget) re the 25lb figure as it would definitely take a lot of money to reach that but would be happy at 26 I reckon. I also will have another look at the Blur too but like the TB for its versatility and as Dempsey mentioned above, I will have to make sure the balance still works for the Sydney trails too. Once again, though, thanks for all the feedback and will update once I settle on a frame/bike!

·
Registered
136 Posts
With the same components? I thought the Blur frame was 1-1.5 lb. lighter than the TB3.
I thought the blur would be way lighter too, it just wasn't.

When I first built the Tallboy up, the plan was to sell it. I rode it and liked it way more than my blur. It didn't feel any slower, but it ate up rough stuff way better.

I weighed the two bikes and they were about 2 lbs apart, but the funny thing was the difference was able to be almost completely accounted for in components.

Pike vs 34 SC - 400g
XT vs XTR - ~200g
Turbines vs Next R - 130g

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Juz1970, how much does your instinct weigh?
I am in a similar situation to you. I live on NSW central coast i currently ride a XL RM instinct C70 got the weight down to 27lb.
Rode this bike in both the convict 100 and all 4 days of the port 2 port, but im looking for somthing a bit lighter and more efficient on the climbs, i was consistantle reaching down for the lockout.
But it was awsome on the downs, still love the instinct.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Juz1970, how much does your instinct weigh?
I am in a similar situation to you. I live on NSW central coast i currently ride a XL RM instinct C70 got the weight down to 27lb.
Rode this bike in both the convict 100 and all 4 days of the port 2 port, but im looking for somthing a bit lighter and more efficient on the climbs, i was consistantle reaching down for the lockout.
But it was awsome on the downs, still love the instinct.
Hi mate. My Instinct is the Alloy 70 in Large and it sits at 28.5lb (12.89kg) and that's with DTSwiss XM1501 25 alloy rims (albeit with chunky Maxxis rubber). So it's a big beefy thing although, funnily enough, I have set my fastest lap on Manly Dam ever on it, even though I am still 20kg (but dropping) above my riding weight and my previous time was set 7 years earlier.
For all this Sydney stuff, with plenty of sandstone, drops, steep pinches and more drops (as you would no doubt know, the Instinct is awesome (although I should have gone for the carbon frame!) but I also ride Tathra a lot (am from down that way).
But yes, that's my fear re the longer travel plus the weight of the Instinct on a multi-day event (am looking to do P2P next year). I have looked at the RM Element plus the Yeti SB100 as well as the Tallboy as potential options. I want to be able to maximise my climbing somehow so I don't kill myself on the climbs and have enough left to enjoy the event plus rail the downhill stuff. I don't envisage being anywhere near the front of the field, but I do want to make sure I put my best effort in, hence the search for a lighter trail/xc style rig.
Apols for the lengthy reply!
EDIT: Have even looked at the RM Thunderbolt, although I much prefer a 29er.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How are the Tathra trails after the fire ?. Love that part of world
It's hard to believe it's been about 16 months since those fires?! It's grown back very well and the trails are in top condition (still some houses being rebuilt). They held the annual marathon race (25km, 50km, 75km) there on the June Long Weekend and it was brilliant. I am in Sydney these days so it's a bit of a haul back down there but worth the drive.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi mate. My Instinct is the Alloy 70 in Large and it sits at 28.5lb (12.89kg) and that's with DTSwiss XM1501 25 alloy rims (albeit with chunky Maxxis rubber). So it's a big beefy thing although, funnily enough, I have set my fastest lap on Manly Dam ever on it, even though I am still 20kg (but dropping) above my riding weight and my previous time was set 7 years earlier.
For all this Sydney stuff, with plenty of sandstone, drops, steep pinches and more drops (as you would no doubt know, the Instinct is awesome (although I should have gone for the carbon frame!) but I also ride Tathra a lot (am from down that way).
But yes, that's my fear re the longer travel plus the weight of the Instinct on a multi-day event (am looking to do P2P next year). I have looked at the RM Element plus the Yeti SB100 as well as the Tallboy as potential options. I want to be able to maximise my climbing somehow so I don't kill myself on the climbs and have enough left to enjoy the event plus rail the downhill stuff. I don't envisage being anywhere near the front of the field, but I do want to make sure I put my best effort in, hence the search for a lighter trail/xc style rig.
Apols for the lengthy reply!
EDIT: Have even looked at the RM Thunderbolt, although I much prefer a 29er.
I understand your pain with rider weight, i can definitely lose a few kg's as well.
Iv'e heard great things about Tathra, I use to go to merimbula every November to a Kitesurfing/Paddle Boarding event but never packed my bike.
I'm looking for a bike with 120mm 34SC fork so SB100, Mach 4sl, and i think Blur is the short list if i keep my Instinct.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hi folks.
I have the chance/time/a bit of cash to build up a 'new' (for me) trail bike that I want to use double-duty as a marathon rig. I am going to tackle the BC Bike race next year. What are thoughts on the Tallboy 3 (or the 4 I guess as it looks imminent) in terms of being built up to around 25-25.5lb for trail/marathon duties?
As a background, have owned a 5010 V1, Bronson V2 and (currently) a 2018 Rocky Instinct, but am after something that is more efficient and lighter than those for the above; have also looked at a Yeti SB4.5.
I realise it's a bit of an impossible dream re lightweight/robust trail performance perhaps but any advice or anyone who has a bike of similar spec would be great to see it and hear ideas. I am 6ft, ride a Large generally and am based in Sydney, Australia, where trails I ride for training are primarily sandstone based, but with plenty of rollers, rock ledges (not too big) and steep, short pinch climbing, hence the weight/less travel idea.
If you are going to be racing the BCBR (I'm doing the one this year, in about 3 days time) your going to want something more substantial than a Blur. My XL TB3, with the newest XTR / Sram Eagle mix (Shimeagle), carbon NOX rims/DT350, etc is right at 27.X lbs.

I'd wait for the newest TB4 if I were you, throw on a fox 34 SC and call it good.

#downcountryAF

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.