Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
eastman
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to SLC this summer with a riding group. Curious what folks recommend for tires on the trails in and around SLC.

My current setup is a Minion DHF 2.5 in the front and Ardent Race 2.35 in the rear for MD/PA (Michaux, Gambrills, Patapsco) riding.

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your front tire will be great. I have a DHF 2.5WT up front and an Ardent 2.4 on the rear of my Hightower. The Aredent is good as long as there isn't too much sand in the washout type areas. Other than those moments, it has worked well. I also used to run Bontrager XR4 front and back on my Trek Fuel and they worked well.

I did buy a Maxis Aggressor (2.3) for my Hightower this weekend to see if it digs in a little better than the Ardent in those deep sandy areas. But haven't installed it yet.

·
eastman
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your front tire will be great. I have a DHF 2.5WT up front and an Ardent 2.4 on the rear of my Hightower. The Aredent is good as long as there isn't too much sand in the washout type areas. Other than those moments, it has worked well. I also used to run Bontrager XR4 front and back on my Trek Fuel and they worked well.

I did buy a Maxis Aggressor (2.3) for my Hightower this weekend to see if it digs in a little better than the Ardent in those deep sandy areas. But haven't installed it yet.
Thanks, Firehawk! Great feedback. I was really curious if the DHF would be overkill for the typical trails out there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks, Firehawk! Great feedback. I was really curious if the DHF would be overkill for the typical trails out there.
In my group I ride with, 75% are running a DHF on the front. They are a touch heavier than some, and reality is that most of the time you don't need something that aggressive, but I don't ever recall saying "I wish my tire was less aggressive". Instead I may have said, "I wish my tires were lighter". Take that comment for what it is worth, but I have no plans to go away from my DHF on the front at all. I will move away from the Ardent, but in reality, that is getting really nit picky as it has been quite reliable.

·
eastman
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my group I ride with, 75% are running a DHF on the front. They are a touch heavier than some, and reality is that most of the time you don't need something that aggressive, but I don't ever recall saying "I wish my tire was less aggressive". Instead I may have said, "I wish my tires were lighter". Take that comment for what it is worth, but I have no plans to go away from my DHF on the front at all. I will move away from the Ardent, but in reality, that is getting really nit picky as it has been quite reliable.
Good stuff, Firehawk. Funny, that pretty much sums up the conversation/debate we had during our ride this past weekend!

btw, do you run the 2.3 or 2.5 DHF upfront?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
eastman, I'm also in your part of the country (MD). My Tallboy 3 came with a DHF front, Ardent Race rear. At first it seemed weird to have a downhill tire on the front and an XC race tire on the rear, but it actually worked pretty well. The DHF was a bit of overkill for most of my riding, so I swapped it for a Forekaster, and I have liked the Forekaster/AR combo for general trail riding. The AR has more grip than I expected, and is generally fine, but I've noticed lately that I lose traction easily on rooty/rocky climbs so I might replace it. I think a Rekon would work well as a rear tire, but I also have an old set of Nobby Nics hanging in my garage that I might just put on.

I have a second set of wheels with a DHF/DHR2 combo for when I want something more aggressive and durable.

·
eastman
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
eastman, I'm also in your part of the country (MD). My Tallboy 3 came with a DHF front, Ardent Race rear. At first it seemed weird to have a downhill tire on the front and an XC race tire on the rear, but it actually worked pretty well. The DHF was a bit of overkill for most of my riding, so I swapped it for a Forekaster, and I have liked the Forekaster/AR combo for general trail riding. The AR has more grip than I expected, and is generally fine, but I've noticed lately that I lose traction easily on rooty/rocky climbs so I might replace it. I think a Rekon would work well as a rear tire, but I also have an old set of Nobby Nics hanging in my garage that I might just put on.

I have a second set of wheels with a DHF/DHR2 combo for when I want something more aggressive and durable.
Hey jabrabu - our group typically rides at PVSP, Michaux and Gambrills. My TB came with a DHF 2.3 upfront and Crossmark II in the rear. The CM only lasted a few months before I switched over to the AR in the rear. I agree, the AR seems to hook up fine except when things get a little damp, then it's hit or miss, especially on rocky/rooty climbs. When it came time to replace the front, I opted for the wider 2.5 3C Max Terra version. I've actually thought about using the Foreaster in the rear in the winter/spring when trails get wet/slick.

Would really like to get a second set of wheels for the same reason!

Great Spring here in MD compared to last year. Hope you're enjoying the weather and trails so far!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.