Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to go to a wider bar and shorter stem with my Tallboy 1; however, given the steep head tube angle compared to today's bikes I am unsure about just how wide is too wide for this bike and how short of a stem will be too short.

I am asking this question specifically because of the steep headtube angle on the Tallboy 1. I am thinking of going with a 740 bar and 50mm stem, but am concerned this may make the steering too quick on the bike, given the headtube.

Should I go with a shorter bar / longer stem to provide more optimal handling for this bike's geometry?

thanks
Matt

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own a Tallboy LT and run a 60mm stem with 740mm bars. It feels great, and I'm actually looking at running wider bars.

I'm 5"10 and run a large for reference.

I've raced it in an enduro and found it great!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I put a 1.5* headset on mine. I'm limited on stem length by the lefty, but am running 730mm bars. 2.6 maxxis tires have raised the bottom bracket just over the pedal strike zone. Bike still pedals great and carves better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put a 1.5* headset on mine. I'm limited on stem length by the lefty, but am running 730mm bars. 2.6 maxxis tires have raised the bottom bracket just over the pedal strike zone. Bike still pedals great and carves better.
Interesting, I'm looking at putting a 1.5 or 2 degree angleset on my Tallboy for this race season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.