Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I'm looking at a Trance and am wondering what size would be best.

I'm 6'4" and am currently riding a 21" hardtail (24" TT) with a 140mm stem and a whole lot of seatpost.

The 21" Trance has a 24.9" TT, and I'm wondering if that would work with a shorter stem (~110mm). I think that if I go with the 20" bike, I'll be in the same position as I am with my HT - running a long stem to get the right fit.

Any other input on sizing / fit would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
painter said:
Hey. I'm looking at a Trance and am wondering what size would be best.

I'm 6'4" and am currently riding a 21" hardtail (24" TT) with a 140mm stem and a whole lot of seatpost.

The 21" Trance has a 24.9" TT, and I'm wondering if that would work with a shorter stem (~110mm). I think that if I go with the 20" bike, I'll be in the same position as I am with my HT - running a long stem to get the right fit.

Any other input on sizing / fit would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I ride a 21" Giant Rainier, and i am 6'. Take what you want from that, i have never seen the trance frames.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well I'm 6'3" & 170-180lbs and I ride a 22" Trance3 and find it fits quite nice for me. Inseam is 36" as far as I remember, when I get home I'll check my measurements and post them up for you . I can tell you I can get 28.5" sadle end to HB with stock stem and seatpost.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sorry got a bit carried away with the HB to SP measurement it's actually 26" is the longest with stock parts-has a laidback Easton EA50 SP.
Standover for it is 30.75" right where the brace meets the TT and 33" in the middle where I have the pump.and 35" by HT.
Actual TT measurement seems to be up for discussion, but how I measure mine (top of sadle tube paralell to ground to HT) is 24".
BB height is 12.25", but if you take into consideration the SAG it's more realistically like 11.25"-11.5". Pedal clearance with 175mm cranks is about 4.75" depending on pedals I guess.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, LyNx. Pretty much what I figured. How long a stem are you running on your bike? And did you try the next size down for fit?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
painter said:
Thanks, LyNx. Pretty much what I figured. How long a stem are you running on your bike? And did you try the next size down for fit?
Stem is 115mm that came stock with the T3. No I didn't try the smaller 20" for size - I couldn't even try the 22" I just had to go by what the bike shop recomended and the measurements off the GIANT site, I saw the bike when it was unpacked from the container coming from my freight forwarder - living in the Caribbean has it's draw backs.

I did borrow a 100mm Bontrager Race Lite stem and handlebar from my friend (who took it off his new TREK 8500) to try it for feel (it has a 25mm rise instead of 10mm like mine) and to try the shorter stem. I find the bike fits nice, but I thought I'd just give it a go and see how it felt cockpit wise and steering wise.

·
I work in .001 tolerances
1,245 Posts
Trance fit....

FWIW I'm 6' 2" and currently use the 20" Trance frame. I run it with a 90mm stem and find
the fit very comfortable.
Although my legs are longer than my torso, so it is a comprimise for a correct frame size.
The tough part is the fact that Giant doesn't make a 21" frame, which means most of us will either use the 20" with a longer stem, or 22" with a shorter stem.
Joe

·
Registered
120 Posts
A question for LyNx...

I read in another thread you're thinking of buying a second Trance in the future. Would that be another 22" Trance? I wonder that because I find the 22" Trance a HUGE bike, and I'm 6'5. I actually wouldn't recommend the bike to someone under 6'3.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
My 2 cents

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and went with a 20" Trance. I was coming from a 17" schwinn Homegrown Hardtail that was a little on the small side for me. I rode an 18 and a 20" before I got the 20, and the 18 just felt too upright and short for me. The 20" doesn't offer me a lot of standover, but I can't say I've noticed it out on the trail. Sometimes I wish the bike had a shorter wheelbase, but for the most part I like it. I removed the spacers from below the stem to get the front end to feel lower and stay down on steep climbs. Other than that, it's pretty much stock. When I compared the geometry #'s to my old bike, I thought I would want an 18", but the 20 definitely felt better. I guess for your height I would think a 22 would be better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, to stir the soup further...I ride a 18'' T2, I'm 184cm and the bike fits good. Nice standover clearance that is really needed in the woods. It has a 120mm 0 degree stem and I've removed the spacers, so the position is a bit more xc-like. I can post a pic if you wish? For reference, I rode a size large GF Sugar before this and a size medium Kuwahara before that of which the kuwa was way too small and the Sugar maybe a bit too large for decent handling. It all depends of course on how long you ride and how technical the terrain is.
Just my 2 cents..
Cheers,
n

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Xioz said:
I read in another thread you're thinking of buying a second Trance in the future. Would that be another 22" Trance? I wonder that because I find the 22" Trance a HUGE bike, and I'm 6'5. I actually wouldn't recommend the bike to someone under 6'3.
You know I was pondering the very same thought week before, when I had a friends 19.5" bike home at me to clean and took it for a test ride. It felt like it would fit me easily with just the addition of a longer SP and stem. It felt very "thowable" for tech trails and had me seiously wondering if my 22"/XL was too big for me and had me a bit offset. I've settled on the fact that it's prob the wheelbase that was makng the bike more nimble and I am now back in love w/ my 22". I am going to be building back up my 1st bike - a 20" - to ride on tech trails and see how it feels.

After a long time riding w/ a 100mm 7 degree stem reversed I am now again trying out the original 120mm 6 degree stem and think I am going to settle on a 110mm 0 degree stem and a setback post on the XL. Still considering a 20" maybe just for more tech riding, but not sure how comfortable it would be on longer rides. So in conclusion as an overall bike I think the 22"/XL is the bike for me - have long arms and legs - and maybe a 20" could be used strictly for very tech trails.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts