Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm really tall 6'7" 215 lbs with a 40" inseam.... got another post on that one going on the what bike to buy forum. However, people tell me I should look at getting a 29r. I am looking for a FS with 5in of travel for use as an agressive XC/ All Mountain bike. What frame/fork would you guys recommend?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Yup, that's it. Not more choices out there in your size and that type of riding, but you don't more. It will take a lot of bike to take any of these 2 bikes off the top-2 in that specific category, and I don't meant "a lot" in terms of size. Oh Zinn offers big bikes too, that'd be option number 3, they're welded by Lenz and cost a little more than the Behemoth.
Where are you at? Thses big bikes are already out there,a good sixpack can often be traded for an eye-opening test ride, ask around for XXL FS 29"ers in your state!

Good luck, J

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Padre said:
6'6 220lbs 38.75" inseam

Lenz Behemoth = 5" of travel and an incredible climber/descender.
Nice to know I'm not the only tall one out there. :-D I helped a guy work on his Lenz a year back (he had a 03 frame) and I didn't much care for it, but it wasn't quite my size either. I'd like to take a test ride on one though, because I've ehard some good things lately. What's their new website? lenzsport.com only has the 04 bikes up. How do you like the white brothers fork? I've never ridden one.

Thanks!

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
zambix said:
Nice to know I'm not the only tall one out there. :-D I helped a guy work on his Lenz a year back (he had a 03 frame) and I didn't much care for it, but it wasn't quite my size either. I'd like to take a test ride on one though, because I've ehard some good things lately. What's their new website? lenzsport.com only has the 04 bikes up. How do you like the white brothers fork? I've never ridden one.

Thanks!
This fork has new cartridge damper that feels buttery and lovely like my old Marz Z-1.
It is stiff, supple, and hasn't bottomed at all.

The 1 and only nit-picky thing I've noticed so far is that it doesn't as much anti-dive control as other forks I've ridden. I know Mani-poo had that valve that prevented dive etc, but this fork seems to dive a little more than others. BUT, the fork is GREAT.

·
Registered
723 Posts
lev or behemoth?

okay padre - here's a tough question from those drooling over Lenz bikes. you're going on a 5 day bike trip with your buddies (not racing) riding 5 to 8 hours a day over variable terrain (desert, canyons, high country). which bike do you take, the lev or behemoth? thanx!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
starre said:
okay padre - here's a tough question from those drooling over Lenz bikes. you're going on a 5 day bike trip with your buddies (not racing) riding 5 to 8 hours a day over variable terrain (desert, canyons, high country). which bike do you take, the lev or behemoth? thanx!
Do you know what the current Lenz website address is?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I think it has to do with meeting product demand and continuing to develop. Since going 29", Lenz has been selling serious bikes, is what I hear. Updating the website would directly and indirectly just kill sleeping time. also, they're more into crafting performance bikes than into new media. I can appreaciate that from someone creating my next bike. Rather that way than the other way around, a full-Flassh website with shady marketing slogans and 13-to-the-dozen product.

I have seen and read about the Behemoth to know I need one, even if my trails won't do it justice. I think it's price is a steal.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
starre said:
This depends. Is that 5 hours a day spent churning out fireroad miles for distance or is it full of fun technical singletrack etc?

Behemoth.

It pedals 85% as fast as the Lev but allows me to eye a cool drop-off, ledge, chute and not have to hold back for fear of dusting equipment.

That said, I rode my Lev in Sedona, AZ last May and it held up just fine!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Padre said:
This depends. Is that 5 hours a day spent churning out fireroad miles for distance or is it full of fun technical singletrack etc?

Behemoth.

It pedals 85% as fast as the Lev but allows me to eye a cool drop-off, ledge, chute and not have to hold back for fear of dusting equipment.

That said, I rode my Lev in Sedona, AZ last May and it held up just fine!
thanx padre! kind of a mix of fireroads and technical stuff out here, but always lots of fun. hope the lev isn't feeling a cold shoulder of late.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
What is it that difference in climbing/pedaling between Lev' and 'Moth? Is it the overal weight of the build, or damper bob, even seating position? Would a different damper setting (hard lockout) solve it?

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Cloxxki said:
What is it that difference in climbing/pedaling between Lev' and 'Moth? Is it the overal weight of the build, or damper bob, even seating position? Would a different damper setting (hard lockout) solve it?
Purely weight.

4.5lbs difference between the two, most of it in the wheels.

The Lev climbs with almost zero bob.
The Beho climbs steeper with more ease.

I could build by beho around 29/30lbs and have 5" rocketship...but who's want so baby a set of wheels on a 5" bike? Not me.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up!
So in principal, the Behemoth is an excellent pedaler/climber, typicalchoice of setup (bulk and tire tread) makes it more sluggish on the ups.

I may be weird like that, but I'd spec the bike to be burly (for me) and still in that 29/30lbs range. I like rocketships. A second wheelset/fork would make the Behemoth my rough xc toy, for trails you'd call a golf course. I can almost taste.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I don't know JG, I think you have a bad case of the "I wannnnnnnntttt" but don't need. Even at 29/30 lbs the 'Moth is never going to be in the rocketship category. If you go for the launching pad at that weight you stand a chance of space shuttling, and don't ever count on the bike to win a levelland drag race against anything other than another 5" travel bike.

I have never ridden there in your area but describing them as golf courses (to us) and just knowing your penchant for lightness, you would be much better off drooling over a 22lb Leviathan build. No shame in that either. If you get somewhere where a 'Moth would be useable just rent a long travel bike and have at it.

To anyone that does have the terrain available to utilize the 'Moth, I will say that after the miles I have put on my Moth (sorry only 5' 11"/170 lbs so no help to the big boys) I have had way more grins than groans. Sure it helps to lockout on the roads, but the bike goes amazingly well on them and is still fun. The same with climbs. You have to find the sweetspots on the shock settings for different types of terrain while climbing and descending and be able to access them on the fly however, but it is all part of the game to me now. It's only the flick of a lever and a few clicks on a wheel on a 30lb+ bike after all.

The WB fork has been working way beyond my level of riding too. It has a totally different feel than a .8 or 1.0 and even without a lockout it somehow matches up to the rear of the bike nicely when on a hardpack climb. Never even think about messing with it as it just keeps on doing it.

Anyway, here's mine and I'm sticking with it.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
"My" Behemoth for sure would lure me into more foreign bike holidays of course. I have some unfinished business in the Alps, amongst things. I've always thought that if 2" of extra travel doesn't come at a performance loss, I might as well have it. And I've never had anything "FR" apart from the Banshee hardtail I never use.
170lb now? Impressive! What's next, Cyclo-Cross racing? ;-)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.