Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
There's one obvious answer at your hieght, but why not give us more details? Riding style, terrain, parts preferances.

fwiw, I'm your size. Been on 29er's for 5 years, and I'm not going back. I never knew MTBing could be so damned fun and fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ride a MUSS right now -- love the bike, but a little small. My back hurts. Looking for a little longer frame, but can't find much on the market. I ride primarily singletrack with the usualy rocks and roots. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
My Niner SIR rocks! I'm 6'1" and ride a size L. According to the Niner website, they recommend the XL for heights of 6'2" to 6'8". I also have a Karate Monkey that I use as a commuter bike. The XL Monkey would also be a good choice. I like the Monkey for it's versatility, cost, and rigid fork, but the Niner is a superior single track weapon.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi there Swede1970,

Im 6ft 4inch also and 210lbs. I'm a bit of a novice at this MTB game but i know a few things about struggling to find things to fit!

I've got long arms which has always given me problems. Whatever the size of the frame, i've always found that i was sitting too upright for my liking.

I originally got some bad advice from a bike shop and they suggested me a 24" Trek. In hindsight they probably were the sort of shop that sells bikes to commuters and people who never ride off-road. It fitted me nicely for normal riding, but the standover clearance wasn't great and the more i rode it, the more i couldn't help thinking there was something not quite right with the geometry. That was until i tried a Specialized Rockhopper that my neighbour had bought, because the moment i sat on it and rode it (even though it was a 19 and a shade too small) it just felt right. I managed to win a 21" 06 rockhopper frame on Ebay and transfered my bits off the other bike. I've posted this in the "show your singlespeed" thread but i'll post it again here just to show why i reallly like the geometry of this bike.

The Top Tube length is really long, and with the long stem i find that my weight is distributed well. I may shorten the stem at some point to see how it affects things and i'd like to cut the bars down and fit some bar ends.

I think i'd love to give a 29er a go eventually

hope this helps you

Pete

Attachments

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Swede1970 said:
any suggestions in the 26" wheel genre?
ya know, if you'd answer my questions, we'd be able to get you a better, more thought out answer. At your hieght, you're going to keep getting the 29" mafioso and thier suggestions. Tell why you DON'T want a 29". Or something to that effect.

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
Swede1970 - I'm 6'4" and 200+lbs. I was able to fit on an XL of most brands. The Yeti XL 575 and the Specialized Stumpy XL were both good fits for my size (of course, I'm not converting them to SS). I've talked to Salsa and Niner who both recommended XL bikes from them (was looking at the El Mariachi and SIR9). The Surly KM comes in an XL size also. The problem is finding available XL bikes built up for you to test ride. You can try to post on forums and see if people in your area have XL bikes for you to test ride, and call every shop within driving distance. You might have to drive a bit, but riding a bike first is a good idea.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
I'm no 29er zealot, at a hair over 6'0" I feel comfortable on both bikes. But it is my strong opinion that once you are a bit taller than me, 29er is the only logical way to go. Think about it, little kids ride 20" wheels, then progress to 24" and finally 26". Why? Because of their size. Extra big kids should ride the big wheels. Size proportional. Luckily there are now a lot of choices in the 29er game, so selection is no longer a good reason to avoid it.

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
I'm 6'5" with a lot of height in the torso vs. the inseam. I ride an XL Karate Monkey and love it, it's a very roomy frame. I have a 100/15 degree stem with about 7cm of spacers on the stack.

Personally, I think you need the big 29er wheels unless you are looking for some kind of really aggressive riding position. If you look at this picture you can see that, even at 6'5", I don't have a ridiculously long seatpost or spacer stack like I would on a lot of frames.

That's just me though... I hate looking like I'm riding a BMX or something.

Regards,
Anthony

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
At that height you should go ride a 29er...and then realize why everyone is echoing that fact. My dad is tall and is a runner whom hasn't been a fan of biking. I got him on a 29er and now I can't get him to give it a break. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.