Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get into shape after suffering a bad neck injury and thought I would look into getting a decent bike now that it's warming up. You'll have to excuse my ignorance as I haven't had a bike since I was a kid, so I don't really know what to look for. I am 6'5" 250lb. I was told I should look into a 29er. I'm mainly looking to ride on bike paths/trails.

I started to look around and quickly found out some bikes can get pretty pricey. I am looking for something under $400-500 until I can decide if I'm going all in. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should get?

I did a quick search and found the bike below listed for $350. Is this something I should consider?

"NEW Schwinn 29 Men's Rivel Bike

21 gear spds
18" frame ht
frame mat aluminum
front suspension fork SR Suntour
DISK brakes front & rear Shimano Nexus
grip shifters Shimano Nexus
alloy chain
quick release seat & front wheel
alloy rims
2" tire width
kickstand & Shimano derailleur"

If this isn't suitable for me, what should I be looking for. Thank you for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jgrilla, welcome. I am about 6'4" and I would agree that 29" wheeled bikes can be a good choice for taller folks. The bike you listed is way too small for you though, because the wheel size has little to do with the frame size. The bike you mention is about a medium size frame (18") and you need at least an XL, which would be something around 21" or 22".

If you are looking for something to ride around on paved paths or smooth gravel roads, then a model like that could work, but I don't think it'd be a good choice for anything I'd call "mountain biking".

My advice would be to find someone that you know who is into cycling have them help you look locally for a used hardtail mountain bike on Craigslist or another local classified service.

·
Shirtless Singlespeeder
506 Posts
In addition to needing the larger size, it is your weight that will kill that bike. A low-end bike such as that will have very cheaply made components, especially the wheel set which will have to bear all of your weight. But for sure a 29er will be better than a 26" wheeled bike.
A higher end bike will (typically) have a higher quality wheel set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Unfortunately I don't really know anyone who rides so I'm completely on the dark. Am I being unrealistic that I'll find a suitable bike in the $400-500 range? Any particular brands I should be looking into? Any kind of wheels that would best support my weight?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got a bike for $570 its a Diamondback overdrive. I am 6'2" 240lbs it is a 29er works great for what I am doing. Weekend rides mild trails. Great bike lower end components but easy to upgrade. Def will get you back into it. I will say get a new saddle the one it comes with is not good and causes much pain. I got a large frame and it suits me but I would agree on going with the XL. Try some bikes out and see how it feels. If you have a Performance bike around you its worth to check out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm an inch shorter than you and the same weight, and had a similar budget when I was deciding on a new bike back in early January. I ended up going with a Specialized Hardrock 29er, and couldn't be happier! It has handled the local trail networks pretty darn well so far, and does road riding a lot better than I thought it would too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks guys. Unfortunately I don't really know anyone who rides so I'm completely on the dark. Am I being unrealistic that I'll find a suitable bike in the $400-500 range? Any particular brands I should be looking into? Any kind of wheels that would best support my weight?
There are some good responses above. As a general rule of thumb, I would avoid bikes that are sold in department stores. IMO something from REI or Performance Bike would be a step up in quality but still within your budget if you buy new.

I think you can find something decent in your price range but I suggested used because the depreciation on bikes is high. Very often people buy a shiny new bike thinking they'll ride it, they ride it a dozen times, and then stick it in the garage and eventually list it for sale a year or two later, sometimes for half of what they paid for it.

You might also try checking out the "Clydesdale and Tall" section of the forum:
Clydesdales/Tall Riders

The members there could have some good insights into bikes and parts that hold up to bigger riders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.