Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DFL
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a really good deal on a bike I've been looking for. It comes with Hayes Stroker 180/160 brakes. How good/bad are they? I'm a super Clyde at over 350#, so it is a pretty big concern. Can I upgrade to 203mm rotors? They would be going on a Manitou Tower Pro, but the website doesn't list the max rotor size. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.

·
B A N N E D
5,318 Posts
Can I upgrade to 203mm rotors? They would be going on a Manitou Tower Pro, but the website doesn't list the max rotor size.
I've seen 210mm listed as the maximum rotor size on the Tower Pro.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am also a super clyde (340 fully equipped). I use these very brakes and they have been fine. I had the 160/180 setup originally and they were adequate. I crossed over to 203's front and back. It made a mild difference.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
They came on my dirt jumper and I'm really not impressed. I'm surprised by h daddy's response. I bled them immediately in disbelief. No improvement. I'm 185# running 160f/160r and they are definitely a two finger brake for me, and, on a dirt jumper you already have low expectations. But, my other brakes are formula r1 and formula the-one, which are both strong stoppers, so maybe it's me.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have a set of Hayes Trail, I think a step above the Ride model, and I remember they are a pain to align. Gave me so much grief.

·
DFL
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally got to ride on them and I really had to squeeze them to get my super Clyde self to slow down. If I upgrade to 203/180 SLX or XT will I notice that much of a difference?

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I have Rydes and they work fine.
If you really had to squeeze it could just mean they need to be bled, or rebuilt, or need new pads, or have rotor contamination, among other things.

I see you are from Mijnnesota and for that terrain I would think they would be ok if maintained properly. But for a 350 lb guy, if you ride in mountains ever, you might want to look into a downhill brake.

Everyone seems to love Shimano brakes these days. I got some new XT's and they seem super nice, but haven't given them a thorough testing yet.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Try and give them a good bleed and make sure everything is clean.

I recently gave up on MT-2's (but I don't think I ever had them properly bled/the levers always felt different from each other and the rear always dragged) fell in love with SLX's. I'm about 210 and ride somewhat aggressively, and I really like the stopping power and modulation even though I'm in the breaking in period still. One finger stops with 160/160 for me, but you have a little more mass on ya than I do.

·
DFL
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They may need a bleed, but they're on a brand new bike so I know it's not pads or contamination. Plus I properly bedded them in when I put the bike together. I honestly think it's just because of my size. I rode again today and they acted the same, trying to scrub speed took a pretty big squeeze. I'm planning a trip to Pisgah in June so I may just go ahead and replace them with XT 203/180 now, and upgrade my sons v brakes.

·
DFL
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up ordering SLX 203/180. Ribble was out of stock on the XTs so Jenson wouldn't price match them. From what I've read the SLXs are essentially the same thing as the XTs anyway, aren't they?

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had those brakes on a brand new Giant Reign X2, first ride I took it out on I crashed and broke both of the plastic pivot pins that holds the blades onto the handlebar clamp. Hopefully they have changed the design or I would avoid them like the plauge.

·
Registered
308 Posts
From what I've read the SLXs are essentially the same thing as the XTs anyway, aren't they?
Yup. XT uses threaded pins instead of cotter pins to hold the pads in and has a pad contact point adjustment screw. If you poke around here, you'll see that both parts can be retrofitted to the SLXs. The reach adjustment screw retrofit is a little more intensive since you need a special bit to remove the blocking screw on the SLX. Search for Shimano Zent for more details if you're really really interested haha

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi there. If you buy the stroker you gone love them, I have them on my FS and work really nice no problem of any kind. Just ride and I use 203 and 180 and really no need now is 160 all around and to be honest I like it better this way better control in hard stops.
My two cents!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
DFL
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put the SLX brakes on, and have a few rides under my belt. I couldn't be happier! The handle is more firm, I can stop smoothly with one finger, and they stop me much more quickly.

My next question. What would be a fair price for my lightly used Hayes brakes including rotors?

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts